Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

HP Rating Regulations

tarawa1943tarawa1943 LoxahatcheePosts: 12 Deckhand
I have a duck hunting boat ( Beavertail Stealth 2000) that I want to use as a micro skiff.  It came with a removable clip on side mount that is rated for 2hp.  The side mount is practically useless.  I am going to build a permanent rear transom for the boat that will allow me to use a small outboard. I am thinking 5-6hp.  The boat is a rotomolded tunnel hull that is 42” wide by 12’ long. Unsinkable and extremely stable.  You can stand on the gunnels.  It is titled as a canoe.
What does it mean that sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatables are exempt from the HP rating rules in the Florida Regulations?  

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,090 Officer
    Do you have a registration for the boat? If you put a motor on it you will have to register it
  • tarawa1943tarawa1943 LoxahatcheePosts: 12 Deckhand
    It has always been registered with the state.  I just never powered it because I thought that the side mount was cheesy and unhandy

I just want to know the interpretation about canoes, kayaks and inflatables being exempt from max HP limits.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,799 Captain
    You're way over thinking this.  Go ahead and put a 5 or 6 hp on ur duckboat.  No one's gonna question you about it lol
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Ha, I know but I am building a transom attachment for it and I just didn't want to put money into a motor to find out it is illegal.  I actually saw a used 8hp motor today reasonable.That might over do it!
    Thanks!
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Have you ever heard of FL FWC?  Since they're the regulatory agency they should have your answers. At any rate, it's not a death penalty offense so just hang a reasonable motor and get on the water.