Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Stupid question, but what rod/reel should I get?

jaisonmonsonjaisonmonson USAPosts: 1 Greenhorn

I’m new to fishing, and want something I can fit in a backpack to go fishing around my town, I have heard that ugly stiks are amazing, and I was looking at the gx2 travel, is that good, do I need a better reel. I’m in the midwest and plan to fish small ponds and Lake Michigan

Replies

• sharky12sharky12 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Ugly sticks are durable but not the best sensativity in my opinion. Better off with a higher graphite rod and get sensativity especially if fishing small lures or jigs. you'll want to feel the lure and bite. Everyone will have a different opinion but for the money and quality, I've been a big fan of Okuma. 
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 487 Deckhand
    I've also heard good things about oakum travel rods for the price. St. Croix makes some nice but pricier ones. As for the reel I think its hard to beat a plugger president for durability and price but penn battles and daiwa BG's are good choices too.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,494 Moderator
    Another god travel rod is made by Temple Fork
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,264 AG
    Why EXACTLY does it have to fit in a backpack....to fish "around town" ??
    I see kids every day with rod holders affixed to bicycles riding to local lakes and down to the indian river. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Graphite rod tips break easy. If you are new to fishing and plan on traveling around on a bike, I would get an ugly stick until I learned some more about fishing and how rough I was on the rod. If you go the higher end route , I would buy it at BassPro and purchase the gear guard insurance. I believe they will replace it due to accidental damage for two years. If you lose it then you are just out of luck. 

If if you are using a bobber you may not need a highly sensitive stick. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,072 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
    Why EXACTLY does it have to fit in a backpack....to fish "around town" ??
    I see kids every day with rod holders affixed to bicycles riding to local lakes and down to the indian river. 
    The last beach bicycle I had I put a rod holder on each side of the rear fork. Kept 2 poles rigged with different lures. Save your backpack for extra tackle
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    edited May 2020 #8
    Fits in a backpack, durable solid glass blank..I own one of these myself, and have out snook fished my know-it-all neighbor with his fancy expensive gear while using this set up multiple times and my best snook on it so far is 32”. 

• ez3puttez3putt Posts: 35 Deckhand
    How I get to the marina when the wife needs the truck.  Just have to watch out for low hanging limbs.