Home Off Topic

The Effect of Covid-19 on Boat Captains Everywhere in All Lines of Mariners Businesses

Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 533 Officer
I am not the only one who is struggling in this day and age with this Covid-19. There are thousands of businesses like mine across not just this state, but across the country in the same situation. People need to get out there and support as many local businesses as they can and if they can. 

Now I can only speak for what I do along with my colleagues, all related to the water. Not just a fishing guide, but any kind of boat/water related business. If you are able to hire a guide at this time and have the means, then do it. No matter where you live. And I mean even things like air boats, tour boats, sight seeing boats, transportation, you name it. It is a trickle down effect when you do. You pay them, they spend it too, trust me. It is not a 100% profit line of work.They will maybe even spend it where you work or own a business.
Thank You

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,304 AG
    edited April 2020 #2
    I see you didn't laud the true commercial fishermen who are REAL essential workers (providing food).
    My opinion the whole time is guides should have been shut down as you produce NOTHING and promote the spread of covid-19 by bringing in tourists from out of Florida while practicing poor hygiene onboard all in the name of padding your wallet.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 533 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I see you didn't laud the true commercial fishermen who are REAL essential workers (providing food).
    My opinion the whole time is guides should have been shut down as you produce NOTHING and promote the spread of covid-19 by bringing in tourists from out of Florida while practicing poor hygiene onboard all in the name of padding your wallet.

You are unbelievable, but expected, trust me. I did include you. I said "all or you name it" water related biz. But that is what I expected from you or others...

"And I mean even things like air boats, tour boats, sight seeing boats, transportation, you name it."

Look at last 3 words. What am I supposed to name 10k biz names that deal with on the water.

Nice try.

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,022 Admiral
    Art’s just a tree hugging Gainesville lib that wants the economy crippled. 
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,095 AG
    That ocean **** is batspit crazy. He thinks he produces.  He just takes from the public.  No different than a panhandler using a road and sidewalk to beg..
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,651 AG
    Just here for the hair pulling hopefully a b oo b pops out.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,402 AG
    gandrfab said:
    Just here for the hair pulling hopefully a b oo b pops out.
    Sorry, it’ll probably be a moob.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,518 AG
    I am not the only one who is struggling in this day and age with this Covid-19. There are thousands of businesses like mine across not just this state, but across the country in the same situation. People need to get out there and support as many local businesses as they can and if they can. 

Now I can only speak for what I do along with my colleagues, all related to the water. Not just a fishing guide, but any kind of boat/water related business. If you are able to hire a guide at this time and have the means, then do it. No matter where you live. And I mean even things like air boats, tour boats, sight seeing boats, transportation, you name it. It is a trickle down effect when you do. You pay them, they spend it too, trust me. It is not a 100% profit line of work.They will maybe even spend it where you work or own a business.
    Thank You

I've read more than my share of BS from a variety of BS posters here, but you might just take a step back and remember you are one of the CCA members who only care about their Orvis trout catch and release vests or as in your case, how many dollars you can illegally stuff into a duffel bag. But thanks for contributing! Remember this next time you lobby the FWC to strip Joe Angler from taking a reasonable cooler of fish to take home for a fry. Yeah.......I'm talking to you, as well as your Panhandle brethren who has contributed to crapping on our individual rights to enjoy the GOM. .. SMH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    amen Navi!

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    all he has ever done is cry about commercial or Joe Sixpack take of his precious cash cow.
    He was crying last week about his problems with an SBA loan.
    Hello! Can you say CASH business, I been screw ing the IRS for years?

Hello, as a business owner have you not put back $$ for the bad times?
    If you haven't then you deserve to fail..
    That ocean **** is batspit crazy. He thinks he produces.  He just takes from the public.  No different than a panhandler using a road and sidewalk to beg..
    you are on the list now.. twice
    nick said:
    stay home with your rabbits.
    ANUMBER1 said:

You are unbelievable, but expected, trust me. I did include you. I said "all or you name it" water related biz. But that is what I expected from you or others...

"And I mean even things like air boats, tour boats, sight seeing boats, transportation, you name it."

Look at last 3 words. What am I supposed to name 10k biz names that deal with on the water.

Nice try.

you name it?

Mims hookers?
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,022 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    nick said:
    stay home with your rabbits.
    They both died. 😂 thankfully. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,250 AG
    Well, this thread didn't go as planned.

I think we've all been cooped up for too long.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,748 Admiral
    To much Corona virus.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,248 AG
    Anumber 1 speaks truth to power.....And he ACTUALLY produces something for citizens to eat...Not the
    " Hey, put that fish back...the next yankee with a few corona dollars to spend needs to catch that dink trout so I look like I know what I'm doing and make a buck "  All while masking it waith an " I'm a conservationist" ....but only when it comes to areas * HE* wants protected.....the heck with *YOUR* back yard...

All I ever hear from this guy is wa wa wa wa woa is me woa is me....  He must be a joy to fish with  LOL  

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    oh my also forgot scuba boats

Thank You

I've read more than my share of BS from a variety of BS posters here, but you might just take a step back and remember you are one of the CCA members who only care about their Orvis trout catch and release vests or as in your case, how many dollars you can illegally stuff into a duffel bag. But thanks for contributing! Remember this next time you lobby the FWC to strip Joe Angler from taking a reasonable cooler of fish to take home for a fry. Yeah.......I'm talking to you, as well as your Panhandle brethren who has contributed to crapping on our individual rights to enjoy the GOM. .. SMH.

I actually do not subscribe or I am NOT a member of the CCA. Might want to do your research first.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    all he has ever done is cry about commercial or Joe Sixpack take of his precious cash cow.
    He was crying last week about his problems with an SBA loan.
    Hello! Can you say CASH business, I been screw ing the IRS for years?

Hello, as a business owner have you not put back $$ for the bad times?
    If you haven't then you deserve to fail..

I like it how you say "food" provider. I have never ever seen one time in this area, mullet guy or crab boat bringing food to Publix! LOL

Maybe to china or canada but not here.

just because I may practice catch and release there are guides who keep fish for clients, so they too could say they are essential. Which actually the DHS says we are essential on the list of essential workers.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Or remember this "true" commercial fisherman! LOL

ANUMBER1 said:

Here is a list of "essential" workers from homeland security. Not only this, the DOI or USFWS also agreed and said that we can continue to operate a business on their land/water. Like I said before the governor one, encouraged fishing, two, some guides keep fish. So if someone were to want to go fishing and they did not own a boat then they would have to hire a captain with legal credentials. My credentials are "Merchant Mariner". We cleared this with Coast Guard and our insurance companies for legal purposes. Unlike commercial fisherman we do have a professional license to carry passengers. Where as you do not, or most do not.

Three this video was meant for anyone in the water boating world who makes a living out of it.  Which included you but now I am rethinking that because you have so much hate in you towards guides and recreational fishermen in general, or us "sporties". LOL
    ANUMBER1 said:

The way you word this is you want to see failure so badly among boat captains. You hate tourism, you hate recreational anglers, you hate hate hate. You bleed the hate so much. You are pathetic and I feel sorry for you. Now some can see how you truly feel.
    duckmanJR said:
    Anumber 1 speaks truth to power.....And he ACTUALLY produces something for citizens to eat...Not the
    " Hey, put that fish back...the next yankee with a few corona dollars to spend needs to catch that dink trout so I look like I know what I'm doing and make a buck "  All while masking it waith an " I'm a conservationist" ....but only when it comes to areas * HE* wants protected.....the heck with *YOUR* back yard...

All I ever hear from this guy is wa wa wa wa woa is me woa is me....  He must be a joy to fish with  LOL  

Tell that to a captain who does keep fish on a regular basis to feed his clients. Or a client I take out that says I want to help you pay your bills Drew so you can go buy food or get gas. Maybe even by Arts bait he supplies to the bait store you use.

You and Art could be twins. You also to want to see the economic down fall I see. You too are a little poor old man hiding behind a keyboard. So much hate in you too. See I want everyone to get back to work every where. Because when you are working I am working. Just like in the video it trickles down.

Just pathetic and sad.
    nick said:

Him and duckboy want complete failure. I can see that clear as day now. Art should start his own YouTube page and complain about fishermen and how they suck so much. He can call it MulletGeek! LOL

Thank You

The CCA has done zero for our area. I have not been part of them for over a decade now.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,674 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:

Here is a list of "essential" workers from homeland security. Not only this, the DOI or USFWS also agreed and said that we can continue to operate a business on their land/water. Like I said before the governor one, encouraged fishing, two, some guides keep fish. So if someone were to want to go fishing and they did not own a boat then they would have to hire a captain with legal credentials. My credentials are "Merchant Mariner". We cleared this with Coast Guard and our insurance companies for legal purposes. Unlike commercial fisherman we do have a professional license to carry passengers. Where as you do not, or most do not.

Three this video was meant for anyone in the water boating world who makes a living out of it.  Which included you but now I am rethinking that because you have so much hate in you towards guides and recreational fishermen in general, or us "sporties". LOL

Fishing guides are not Maritime transportation workers. Commercial fishermen, like farmers are recognized as essential workers. While, I don't like to see anyone out of work, your argument falls short.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

yes we are, we have and hold United States Merchant Mariner Credentials. You can see the top of mine issued by the USCG at the national maritime center under Homeland Security. The coast guard says that the license gives us the power to use it in several different ways, not just as a fishing guide, but to be able to carry people in a "for hire" manner. They said that a mariner is someone who works on the water or on a  ship or boat, then with this license uses it in a professional way. They also said we do transport passengers in a sense. Here is a maritime definition:

mariner. A mariner is someone who works on a boat or ship. A lobsterman who works alone on a small boat is a mariner, and so is the captain of an enormous cargo ship. Mariner is a somewhat old-fashioned word for a sailor or seafarer, a person who spends most of their working life on some kind of ocean vessel.

We had to have this cleared up for legal matters and insurance reasons when the stay at home order went into effect. Where I do my charters at are on a National Park and Wildlife Refuge, inside of NASA land. Under the department of interior and the USFWS. So my insurance policy lists the US Federal Government as an additional insured. So the park, NASA and refuge wanted to make sure we could legally be out there under Homeland Securities directives and make sure the policy was valid. So they said yes, we do fall under essential workers due to our credentials. So does FWC.

ANUMBER1 said:

Fishing guides are not Maritime transportation workers. Commercial fishermen, like farmers are recognized as essential workers. While, I don't like to see anyone out of work, your argument falls short.

Now with that said a bass guide inland may or may not fall under this. It depends on if they carry a Mariner license too. Since if you are on a lake you do not need this license for hire some may not.

The USCG told us that it does not matter what you do with the license, it is just the fact you have a valid one. They said you could use it to sight see, carry pizzas, fix docks, fishing guide, watch whales, transport people, be a messenger, etc. Covers a broad spectrum of things. This is why the governor only listed the word "mariner" instead of listing every single use of it, or there would be a million uses listed. All I know is the US Federal Government gave us the green light to be an essential worker and so did our insurance company. I was not worried about the legal end I was worried that if I would have an accident on National Park or US Fish and Wildlife land would my insurance be covered and valid.

This is like a pawn shop saying they are essential because they fall under "financial institute" . That is why I was saying not all commercial fishermen bring food to the table. Around here it is almost 90% bait or by product. I have never seen once in Publix down the road fresh caught crab for sale here. So when they scream "we bring food to the table", I laugh. It is not like they are catching lobster.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,723 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:

It would be a little scary and a little sporty throwing a cast net on a plane from the front, by yourself.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    As usual.. looking for loopholes to profit off a public resource, while shutting out the public
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Gary S said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

It would be a little scary and a little sporty throwing a cast net on a plane from the front, by yourself.

You really want to see what Art's brothers think of recreational fishing read the comments for this video. They think we are pieces of S coming into their waters.
This discussion has been closed.