Home Boating

Miami Dade boat ramps opend, restictions some are incomprehensable

GotseaGotsea Posts: 762 Officer
Honestly some of this rules are nothing but a refusal to let go of the power trip of the politicians, give you a few examples:
"boat ramps are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily"  like fishing at night will get you or some one contaminated!
"All passengers must board the vessel before it is launched"  where? how? out in the street before geting to the ramp? according to the rules you have to be ready to launch before you get to the ramp, my boat gunels are 6.5" tall when on the triler!  how the hell do I get kids and wemen up there? 
"no anchoring, including sandbars" ok how about anchoring in 60' feet of water? 

This never will be thesame, one you give away your civil liberties it is very dificult to get them back. 

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    A couple of days ago i read the rules to an old friend and boater
    up in Brevard County and he could not stop laughing.
    Giimoozaabi
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 762 Officer
    Well I wish I could laugh but, I am very concerned that they "the government" will keep on using the covid19 to maintain control over people as much as they can, there is nothing that the government love more but to tell you what to do, for some reason they have the idea that the only ones with any brains are they, the rest of us are a bunch  idiots. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,044 Captain
    This made me laugh too
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 114 Deckhand
    rest of us are a bunch  idiots.  This is a true statement ,
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 116 Deckhand
    If you got to board all passengers before you launch-you mean the person driving the tow vehicle can't go?
    livebait1 said:
    If you got to board all passengers before you launch-you mean the person driving the tow vehicle can't go?
    It is stupid all around, this make no cense, they did not put any reasonable thought behind it, this is just a way to hold on to the power over us, 
  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 173 Deckhand
    You fall out of the back or side of my boat on the trailer,, and it's most likely gonna be a trip to the hospital.  Think parking at the ramp is a pain in the kazoo... try finding a parking spot for that rig at the hospital!
    Geneakers said:
    You fall out of the back or side of my boat on the trailer,, and it's most likely gonna be a trip to the hospital.  Think parking at the ramp is a pain in the kazoo... try finding a parking spot for that rig at the hospital!
    LOL, yup, It is not clear what is what they are saying or what is the purpose,  
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    I can't believe a rule is to have people in the boat before you back it into the water. 
    My buddy and I do this of course.  We both have a ton of experience.  And we spend very little time at the ramp.  You're welcome.  But, I gotta admit, in the back of my mind, I always assumed it was breaking some law. 
    Can't believe this is safe for most people and actually a rule.
    And should be 'no anchoring, at sandbars' if at all.  We have a rule here in pinellas that boats can't anchor within 50 feet of each other.  That's reasonable.
    The curfew is ridiculous.  How does that accommodate fishing??
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    spangler said:
    I can't believe a rule is to have people in the boat before you back it into the water. 
    My buddy and I do this of course.  We both have a ton of experience.  And we spend very little time at the ramp.  You're welcome.  But, I gotta admit, in the back of my mind, I always assumed it was breaking some law. 
    Can't believe this is safe for most people and actually a rule.
    And should be 'no anchoring, at sandbars' if at all.  We have a rule here in pinellas that boats can't anchor within 50 feet of each other.  That's reasonable.
    The curfew is ridiculous.  How does that accommodate fishing??
    Nothing makes cense, social distance is 6' when you are at he market or in home depot or other indoor place, but they want 50' out on the ocean!!!!!!, hit me with knowledge so I learn something, full disclosure I don't go to sandbars or anchor closer than 300' out of curtesy, so it doesn't affect me, but come on!!! it is just a power trip. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,978 Captain
    Down here in paradise everyone has a boat or has friend or family with one.... That's not the same as actually knowing what you're doing on the water (just watch at any boat ramp during a summer weekend.,..).  Just because you're a "decision maker" doesn't mean that you actually know what you're doing.. That's how you end up with these kind of rules... 

Something else needs to be said about Biscayne Bay (and all the water everywhere that we're so blessed with.... ) and that is there's just too many of us and our boat ramps are a zoo more times than not - particularly on weekends... I long ago quit fishing the Bay in daylight (if at all possible)... Instead I retreated back into the Everglades out of places like Flamingo and Chokoloskee - where the conditions (mosquitoes, sudden storms, and just the distance from urban areas) keep the numbers of boats down most days (Saturdays can be bad - but much, much better than the big cities where you rarely ever get a break from the crowds...).

I do fish Biscayne Bay to this day- but only at night when we have the water to ourselves mostly (except for Friday and Saturday nights)... Dropping my skiff at one ramp or other just before sundown on weekends isn't much fun but the vast majority of boaters are off the water within an hour or two of nightfall and the Bay at night is a magic place... for me and my anglers... Every ramp is empty at 2 or 3 in the morning at the end of a trip... Yeah I've had a few "urban adventures" late at night but it's just much, much more manageable then - even when confronted by a wino with a knife... Local law enforcement pretty much leaves the water each day at 6pm mostly (there are exceptions....) but that's the way I found it when I first came here back in 1971.... As a result you're pretty much on your own at night..

I love it.... 

"Be a hero... Take a kid fishing!
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Yeap, I also go fishing at night as much as possible, quieter, the sun doesn't bit you down, and always on weekdays never on a weekend, The glades sound interesting, unfortunately I will have to get a 17 footer, I don't think my is suitable, but the wife will not let me get a second boat, and I am affray to sell my first, I may not get the opportunity to buy another one. lol
    What size rig are you running... I know guys who run rigs up to 25 feet long day after day -both in the interior and out on the coast... I actually have a few customers with big bay boats (and motors up to 300hp...).  When they get down here I step on board and run them... Kind of a treat for me since usually I'm in my old beat up Maverick (a shade under 17 long.). Add a Power Pole and a big trolling motor (usually in the 36 volt range and you're good to go.

Yes, you'll have to stay out of really shallow areas - but the fish in slightly deeper waters bite very well - and aren't nearly as spooky... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Well I have deep V 25 footer WA, 30" draft with the engine down with and some 20" trimmed all the way up
    That will be hard to push with a pole lol
    You won’t be poling it at all...

The only really shallow area in the interior if you wanted to to run that way -is right where Buttonwood Canal enters **** Bay, and it would still be do-able in your rig.  Once you’re in Whitewater Bay the depths are four to six feet all the way across... When you hit the rivers that drain from Oyster Bay out to the Gulf coast you’re in much deeper waters... 

Like I said your rig can fish much of fish that area...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks good to know I may plan a trip to try it, never been there, always open ocean, with the exception while staying  in the keys that I have gone to the bay side if too rough on the ocean