Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

DukesFin Passing the Torch

Not Florida but man, what a day... I won a charter at a kayak fishing tournament so I took my 8 year old son Danny with me... 4 hours of inshore fishing. Started by catching croakers for bait, then moved over and threw shrimp for trout and spanish. Tide started really moving out so we headed over to the redfish hole... Man, oh man... What a day! Bull red after bull red. Danny had to take a break after his 2nd fish and had an absolute ball! I lost count of how many reds we landed and lost on the 17 pound leader... EPIC! If anyone needs a guide in Orange Beach, Alabama, look up Captain Mike Peek out of Zeke's Marina. The man was awesome with my son and absolutely put us on fish!

Tight lines!

Replies

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,539 Captain
    Firstly, its good to hear from you again and seeing your son with those fish is a major bonus.
    It certainly sounds as though he had a day to remember.
    There is some good eating on that table, I love redfish. 
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 597 Officer
    Cranfield said:
    Firstly, its good to hear from you again and seeing your son with those fish is a major bonus.
    It certainly sounds as though he had a day to remember.
    There is some good eating on that table, I love redfish. 
    Cran, I've missed your stories & musings! Definitely a day to remember.  I've found I love eating Spanish mackerel! They are wonderfully light! 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 17,580 Moderator
    I've missed both of you. Great story and pics Dukes. Good looking kid and it looks like y'all raising him right.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,392 Admiral
    Good to see you are back fishing. That little guy has sure grown. I take it you have recovered well from the heart surgery?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,910 AG
    Danny will be kicking Dukes ars soon. He'll try at least once. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,333 Admiral
    Great to hear from you dukes. Sounds like a good trip.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,337 Captain
    Definitely not our Florida! We don’t eat trout or Reds. Might forget how they taste...Congrats on a great trip with your son! He has some great memories for sure!
    Good to see you are back fishing. That little guy has sure grown. I take it you have recovered well from the heart surgery?

I've recovered as much as I'm going to... my "ejection fraction" (how much blood is pumped out of my heart with each beat) is only 25% so I get tired very easily. I'm on permanent disability now but blessed at getting to spend every day with family. Time goes by faster and faster, that's for sure! Giovanna is the one growing up too fast! She's 6 and I've vowed she'll join a convent as soon as possible. The idea of her being a teenager horrifies me!!!! How is the Illinois crowd doing? Do you still get coastal at least every year???
    edited April 2020 #10
    micci_man said:
    Danny will be kicking Dukes ars soon. He'll try at least once. 

Bite your tongue! (But I know that day is coming... It's the only reason I even try to stay in some semblance of shape!!!!) Life is good though, that's for sure!
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,392 Admiral
    Duke, My family gets down but sadly I have not made it in 7 years. I was drafted to do some work by a municipality and they have kept me so busy that I usually don't know what day it is. This year I will get down with some grandchildren. we are also going to begin building homes again this year. take care of yourselves and god bless all of the good souls on this forum.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,875 Captain
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,613 Admiral
    Great Dill
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 519 Officer
    Glad to see you back in here!
    Great report.
    keep ‘em coming!
    post up some of those summer sunrise pictures when you can.
    Today's redfish.. 4 miles total in the kayak... 2 broke me off and I missed a couple..
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 17,580 Moderator
    DukesFin said:
    Today's redfish.. 4 miles total in the kayak... 2 broke me off and I missed a couple..
    Nice red. Sounds like you're getting your "wind" back. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)