Home General Freshwater Fishing

Treasure coast bowfin

spudmelonspudmelon Port st luciePosts: 6 Deckhand
I was wondering if there are any bowfin location around the treasure coast I want to catch one for my life list. I don't have a boat so I am limited on access. Any thing would help.

Replies

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    The swampier the better. Dark murky waters. They hit on about anything. I catch them usually on rooster tails. Good luck! They can be aggressive and put up a good fight.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Lake Okeechobee is full of them, but hard to access without boat.
  • spudmelonspudmelon Port st luciePosts: 6 Deckhand
    That's kind of what I was expecting. Not a lot of swampy areas in the treasure coast accessible by foot. May have to put of the hunt for now till I can get a boat
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,499 Officer
    Dark non flowing water and a white spinnerbait is a sure thing.  Bring several they destroy them.  A back pond on a river is a good place.  Don't know how to access them without a boat though.  Kayaks work good and they're inexpensive.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,317 Moderator
    If there is flowing water or a slight current they will come to cut bait good. Current Lets the scent draw them in from a long way.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • spudmelonspudmelon Port st luciePosts: 6 Deckhand
    thank you i will keep trying with some of these tips
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 856 Officer
    So...if you don't mind scaring a few snakes, you can walk back into the ponds at Halpatiokee Park in Stuart. If you can drag a kayak or canoe, you'd be even better. Park by the tennis courts and walk down the side to the water (red arrow). There is a beaten little footpath that gives you access basically all the way around the ponds. The circles on this map are where we used to always run into bowfin when we would bass fish there. 

• Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    Also 512 between fellsmere and sr.60 has a lot of murky water on the side of the road. Easy access by foot