Home Off Topic

The "New Normal"...

Replies

• captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
    I don't know if anyone knows  what will happen a few months into 30-35 million unemployed. It's never happened before. Coupled with 24/7 stoking and certain panic the MSM is going to be pedalling. It's not going to be pretty, IMO. 
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Things that make you think....true or not....

China years back started buying the ports, railroads and factories of many countries. They own most of the textile and fashion industry in northern Italy. They are funding the 10 largest infrastructure projects in Africa. They have made huge investments in South America. They are buying whatever they can get in the U.S. 

Meanwhile,.....we are building bases in Iraq and sending soldiers and ammunition to Afghanistan and Iraq. We are fighting about standing 6 feet apart. We say our freedom is being taken away. We send billions to Israel. We train their scientists, doctors and teachers and they go back to their country. We complain about a possible meat shortage.

They (Chinese) have a saying "two powerful tigers can't live in the same cage". So.... totally destroying the economy of one seems a logical way to become the most powerful economy and country in the planet. Without firing a single bullet.
    A friend of mine said:  World War 3 has already started and we are not even aware of it yet.
    I really hope for the sake of my kids and grandkids that it is all fiction.

So...am I willing to wear a mask, stay 6 feet away from people and follow whatever the experts say may help to control this monster.................yep
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

It ain't the poor folk marching with guns or driving around in minivans.                                                                                                                                                              

OK, Mike.

The bulk of those poor folk ain't practiced much in social distancing and they got plenty of guns.
    Just look at the demographics for Albany Ga.                                                                                                                                

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-hotspot-albany-georgia-funderals-covid-19-cases-per-capita-2020-4
    When people around you are dropping like flies, the last thing on your mind is marching to Atlanta to protest.
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 1,028 Officer

WhY dO tHe PrOtEsToRs HaVe GuNs?
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,071 Captain
    edited April 27 #67

WhY dO tHe PrOtEsToRs HaVe GuNs?
    Well, at least you're honest.

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,937 Admiral
    edited April 27 #68
    Geneakers said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

The bulk of those poor folk ain't practiced much in social distancing and they got plenty of guns.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-hotspot-albany-georgia-funderals-covid-19-cases-per-capita-2020-4
    When people around you are dropping like flies, the last thing on your mind is marching to Atlanta to protest.
    Your statement appears to use fear mongering and generalization to support your position Tarp.  The mass-media uses the same approach for sensationalizing the situation.  I am not trying to imply that the 'Rona isn't serious, but my understanding is the mortality rate for the demographics that are out in public on a regular basis is extremely low.  And in actuality, many more people may have had the 'Rona, thinking it was just an extreme case of the flu and recovered than what was originally thought.. but I don't believe that I need to fear or expect to be out at a boat ramp and people literally start "dropping like flies".. That is the part of your response I am referring to.

But this has been for a month the narrative from WHO, Fauci and most "experts" worldwide. And obviously from all the mainstream media. Isn't it?
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 173 Deckhand
    Geneakers said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

Your statement appears to use fear mongering and generalization to support your position Tarp.  The mass-media uses the same approach for sensationalizing the situation.  I am not trying to imply that the 'Rona isn't serious, but my understanding is the mortality rate for the demographics that are out in public on a regular basis is extremely low.  And in actuality, many more people may have had the 'Rona, thinking it was just an extreme case of the flu and recovered than what was originally thought.. but I don't believe that I need to fear or expect to be out at a boat ramp and people literally start "dropping like flies".. That is the part of your response I am referring to.

But this has been for a month the narrative from WHO, Fauci and most "experts" worldwide. And obviously from all the mainstream media. Isn't it?
    With all due respect.. No, that's not what they have been saying.. I have yet to hear any of the experts talk about people "dropping like flies"...  I wasn't debating the severity of the situation, I was just commenting on the choice of words that could lead to the mental visualization of people falling over dead all around ya, and said that the fear mongering is one way the MSM keeps driving the narrative. 
     :D 

I always said we should have arrange only two things to overpass coronavirus without consequences.
    Protect weak people (mainly retirement homes) and improve ICU facilities (because the worst cases of this flu-alike virus require ventilation).
    But you're right. The third milestone would have been a total censorship of the mainstream media.
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,067 Admiral
    Geneakers said:
    Geneakers said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

With all due respect.. No, that's not what they have been saying.. I have yet to hear any of the experts talk about people "dropping like flies"...  I wasn't debating the severity of the situation, I was just commenting on the choice of words that could lead to the mental visualization of people falling over dead all around ya, and said that the fear mongering is one way the MSM keeps driving the narrative. 
    Come on man, really?  0.015% of the population has died.  That is a crazy huge number, we may hit 0.02% by the end of the month.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,276 AG
    edited April 27 #75
    kellercl said:
    Geneakers said:
    Geneakers said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

Come on man, really?  0.015% of the population has died.  That is a crazy huge number, we may hit 0.02% by the end of the month.  
    Mock it all you want, but what if you are one of the .03% whose loved one died from covid.   :/

Captain Todd Approves

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,465 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

It is getting a lot better in Albany.  We are going down finally in number of cases.  After being 2nd in the state for weeks we've gone down to 4th.

We are still 1st in deaths. But Fulton Co is catching us.  Their population is 8 times ours though, 14 deaths difference,
    I guess I used the wrong emoticon.   :|  Is what I meant

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,067 Admiral
    On a side note I am going to wear my tin foil hat for a minute.  I've been plotting total cases against day, the first derivative being change at a given point in time.  We have made no improvements over the last 24 days.  This could be explained by increased testing, which is the likely answer.  However, I am starting to question if this virus is really being passed from direct contact.  Part of me is thinking we are picking this up from surfaces more than direct transmission.  The data I have looked at doesn't make the shut down look as though it is working all that well.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
    edited April 27 #80
    kellercl said:
      The data I have looked at doesn't make the shut down look as though it is working all that well.  
    Nursing homes have a disproportionate number of deaths, for obvious reasons. The early hotspots, for example, in Washington state, was a mass outbreak and deaths from a nursing home.

Most of the new/recent deaths in the Tampa Bay area seem to all be from nursing homes, according to the local paper. The ridiculously largest % of total deaths natiowide, from NY, has obviously been exacerbated by their terrible and inexplicable policy of sending infected people to nursing homes for "care".

Pull out total nursing home deaths nationwide from the figures you are looking at, and your hypothesis gets even stronger.

Pssst.....the shut down was to kill the economy, not kill a virus
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,574 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

Where is this happening at? Must have missed it on the news which is a good possibility because I haven't watched any TV in 4 days.   

open everything back up. Those scared will stay home. The strong will survive. The Flu never shut anything down but killed thousands. The more i learn about this 19 the less I'm concerned about it. 

This country can't operate 6' apart.   
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    edited April 27 #82
    kellercl said:
    On a side note I am going to wear my tin foil hat for a minute.  I've been plotting total cases against day, the first derivative being change at a given point in time.  We have made no improvements over the last 24 days.  This could be explained by increased testing, which is the likely answer.  However, I am starting to question if this virus is really being passed from direct contact.  Part of me is thinking we are picking this up from surfaces more than direct transmission.  The data I have looked at doesn't make the shut down look as though it is working all that well.  

The spread phase have been months ago and has been some months long. Now the people who infected at the time of the spread are getting sick. Like any virus it stays latent per months and people start to get sick, all together, in the same short period.
    That's only my opinion of course.
    kellercl said:
      The data I have looked at doesn't make the shut down look as though it is working all that well.  
    Nursing homes have a disproportionate number of deaths, for obvious reasons. The early hotspots, for example, in Washington state, was a mass outbreak and deaths from a nursing home.

Most of the new/recent deaths in the Tampa Bay area seem to all be from nursing homes, according to the local paper. The ridiculously largest % of total deaths natiowide, from NY, has obviously been exacerbated by their terrible and inexplicable policy of sending infected people to nursing homes for "care".

Pull out total nursing home deaths nationwide from the figures you are looking at, and your hypothesis gets even stronger.

Pssst.....the shut down was to kill the economy, not kill a virus
    Everywhere the same.
    In Europe more than 50% of deaths have been in retirement homes.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/half-europes-covid-19-deaths-in-long-term-care-facilities-2020-4?IR=T
    Even in Sweden (they admitted the error, they had lock-down retirement homes too late) where they have had a very pragmatic approach looking at the big picture, the big part of deaths have been in retirement homes.

Agree. Economic and political interests.
    kellercl said:
    I wouldn't doubt that it is being spread more by surface contact. I also wound't be surprised if they find every country is going to reach X number of cases and measures will only slow or expedite the time to reach that number. 

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,975 AG
    we evolve/adapt all the time.   This will be no different.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    edited April 27 #86
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    I wouldn't doubt that it is being spread more by surface contact. I also wound't be surprised if they find every country is going to reach X number of cases and measures will only slow or expedite the time to reach that number. 

In this case faster would be better.
    Obviously not in case the goal is destroying economy and people minds. For this the "water torture" is the best way.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,516 Captain
    I would like to see a death toll total that didn't include nursing homes (99% in them already have life threatening problems) and the multitude of others with health problems that a simple bout with a bad cold could make fatal.  Let's see how many sailors on the affected USN ships start "dropping like flies".  Betting none but the number, if ever publicized, will be infintesible.  
    I went to a retiree reunion the first week of February.  Received word an attendee and his wife both later contracted the virus.  Both have since recovered with no complications.  Good news for them and is the normal outcome for any basically healthy individual.  
    This virus reaction soon became a "cure worse than the disease" situation.  Being an old myself guy I was blessed with parents who lived through the Great Depression.  They talked about it throughout their lives.  Hope talking about the Great Depression of 2020 isn't the "new normal".

• SC53SC53 Posts: 584 Officer
    From what I heard, people that are dying from other causes such as heart attack, diabetes and other health issues but test positive for Covid are classified as dying from the virus. That only inflates the number more. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    joekat46 said:
    Don't like it?  You can always move to, well, nowhere.

Sorry to inconvenience you.
    The "disagree" option was eliminated for some reason.  Maybe it could be replaced by an "arrogant a$$" option.  You truly are a hoot.  You seem to have conveniently forgotten that he could move to Sweeeden.  Lol x 10.
    You mean Sweden whose death rate is higher per capita than ours?

You mean the democratic socialist (or, as you people like to say, marxist communist) country Sweden?

I'm sure he's packing his bags.  Unfortunately he can't go there as the Swedish travel ban won't let him in the country.

How's that for convenient?

If Sanders and Ocasio‐​Cortez really want to turn America into Sweden, what would that look like? For the United States, it would mean, for example:

1. More free trade

2. A more deregulated product market

3. No Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

4. The abolition of occupational licensing and minimum wage laws

5. The abolition of taxes on property, gifts, and inheritance

6. Even after the recent tax cut, America would still have to slightly reduce its corporate tax

7. America would need to reform Social Security from defined benefits to defined contributions and introduce private accounts

8. The US would also need to adopt a comprehensive school voucher system where private schools get the same per‐​pupil funding as public ones.

If this is socialism, call me comrade.

Don't forget a 57% tax rate, since you like the way Sweden does things. 

Comrade. 
    Not to mention a homogeneous society. 
    And a small population. 
     Our problem is that we have eliminated the “Melting Pot” theory and replaced it with the Balkans theory. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    Geneakers said:
    Geneakers said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    OK, Art.

OK, Mike.

Mock it all you want, but what if you are one of the .03% whose loved one died from covid.   :/
    Or the flu, cancer, traffic accidents, drug addiction and the list goes on......

Those that are so adamant about the economy being shutdown are mostly those getting a government check every two weeks or a pension. 
     If a couple million federal and state workers were laid off and told to hit the unemployment line, you would see a different attitude. 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,932 Admiral
    SC53 said:
    From what I heard, people that are dying from other causes such as heart attack, diabetes and other health issues but test positive for Covid are classified as dying from the virus. That only inflates the number more. 
    What else did Alex Jones have to say?