Home General Hunting

S Fla. The Hog and Panther

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,453 Captain
    we need more hogs in the south zone . hogs eat snakes and panthers eat hogs . less deer being eaten by panthers/cougars 
    living life as i like
    meateater said:
    why is it most south wma,s had really good deer hunting when there where plenty of hogs running around        dinner island , ok slough , holeyland ,rotenburg area 3 and all of big cypress     hogs are gone and hunting sucks compared to 10 or 20 yrs ago. 
    its pretty simply . Even if there is only 250 cougars in south florida that 26000 plus deer size pray that needs to be killed every year to feed them . And i would bet there is more like 1000 plus cougars in sw florida alone . We had a unlimited supply of hogs and deer on our lease till panthers moved in and then the hogs vanished after a couple years .We as hunters always wanted them gone until they where gone , Then we wish we had them back . 
    living life as i like
  • captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 902 Officer
    No way there's a thousand cats in SW Florida. 

But as I said in another post, private land owners, ranchers, that I know, shoot predators, quickly. Any apex predator. Maybe more of them should adopt this attitude, but my guess most all of them feel that way already.

In Texas, any mountain lion caught on a cattle ranch is dispatched, almost immediately, I can promise you. 

But as I said in another post, private land owners, ranchers, that I know, shoot predators, quickly. Any apex predator. Maybe more of them should adopt this attitude, but my guess most all of them feel that way already.

In Texas, any mountain lion caught on a cattle ranch is dispatched, almost immediately, I can promise you. 
    If there is only 250 cats guess im luckey to see 6 different ones in one sit at the old lease 
    living life as i like

If there is only 250 cats guess im luckey to see 6 different ones in one sit at the old lease 
    You saw 6 different cats in a span of how long, at the same spot? 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,265 Captain
    edited April 2020 #37
    Likely the only way Cat will cross East/ West water body and other designated “ Boundary” and proceed past hostile lands is to hitch a vehicle run northbound.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 869 Officer
    im into scouting big time     yuuuuge     basically year round   all public south wma,s       i have seen with my own eyes or on one of my 8 game cams a cougar on every wma i scout   used to be 10 cams but some piece of spit loser stole 2 from picayune strand last year      don,t know how many cougars are out there but its way more than the 120 to 160 fwc claims.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Of course the overabundance of freshly imported Northern invaders has nothing to do with the low numbers of game animals!  1300 new residents every single DAY!  We need a season on Yankees to get things back in order.  I' m 76 years young and was born and raised in S. FL.  My Dad started my brothers and I hunting and frogging as soon as we could sit on an airboat seat without falling off. There have never, NEVER, been an abundance of deer and hogs in the glades. They can't exist on sawgrass and cattails.  On the heads(islands) there is very little for them to forage on under the tree canopy, they just have no place else to go. My Dad was a gator hunter and during drought years we would walk in to areas east of Hwy 27 and set hooks on gator wallows. If we saw 2-3 deer in a day it was a good day. I don't recall ever seeing hogs out there, although my Dad would kill a couple every season out west where our hunting camp was. There are too many of you hunting extreme low numbers of animals; go North to GA, AL and SC. Corn and soybean fed venison is far better than palmetto scrounging, skinny little greyhound size animals. And we need the biologists to develop a hog virus that wipes out the entire population of those vermin.
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 513 Officer
    Tough sell fish_stix when your neighbor Ron Bergeron is selling it down the road.  
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Fish stix is probably right on population increase but perhaps unrestrained immigration plays a part. 
    Fish_stix, you're dead on correct. Nothing should be added. Great and very accurate post. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,578 Admiral
    One thing needs to be added...
    The Bio Folks already have that Population Control Virus down pat for the Pesky Hogs.
    You might have seen it...Long Brown , Fur , Claws..Hunts at Night..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    China is working on that virus for you!
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,510 Captain
    I think the psych med shortage from china is starting to show around here....
    TRT: The cats have been here about a million years prior to the hogs. My family moved to FL from KS in the 1800s to raise cattle. At that time FL was shipping hundreds of thousands of beef cattle around the Cartbbean every year because the islands and Central American countries had no beef industry. My grandad and his family lived a days wagon ride into Miami from West of present N. Dade/ Broward County area. They had frequent encounters with panthers although my grandad said they usually didn't eat their cows but would definitely keep the deer herd in check.  They wouldn't have known if a panther ate one anyway since FL was all open range then; my grandad said they would get letters from other ranchers about holding cattle for them from as far away as Palm Beach county so they would have to go and herd them back south again. The cats were just never a problem until herds of people arrived in FL and put shopping centers where animals were supposed to live!  We left Miami/S. FL in 1957 and moved to Ft. Pierce and even then all the human hoards were concentrated along US-1; the Glades were still pretty much open. You could launch your airboat on Tamiami Trail and run all the way to Lake O ag area and never cross a dike. Panthers are not the problem; people are!
    Seems ignorant of facts concerning most of the places he discusses were underwater prior to draining.....unless the cats had webbed feet.....
    Oh really! Folks have been running cattle on the ridge east of the glades for a couple hundred years. Or, are you ignorant of the fact that cities from Jupiter/Palm Beach and south were built on that ridge long before draining the Glades was started? 
    BTW H2Odad: ask yourself this: how did Mr Flagler build his railroad from Jax to Miami if there was no dry land to build it on?
    We have another hater on mankind.  He probably had ten kids himself but **** everyone else.
    fish_stix said:
    BTW H2Odad: ask yourself this: how did Mr Flagler build his railroad from Jax to Miami if there was no dry land to build it on?

The dry land was in orange. 

Your entire description of your family is a lie. You are a hack. Leave. 
    edited April 2020 #52
    You've got some serious personal problems attacking a 76 year old Florida native relating his personal experiences. 

Not to mention being shockingly wrong about the map you posted. 
    edited April 2020 #53
    Here is one for ya, Florida was completely underwater 2.5 to 4 million years ago.  Cougars evolved 40-60 million years ago.  MIC DROP!

Cougars were believed to evolve from the Cheetah and crossed the Bering land Bridge up in Alaska (8 million years ago).  They then populated all the way down to South America.

Cougars didn't evolve in Florida they traveled here, just like the yank and all you crackers.  
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA Posts: 792 Officer
    fish_stix said:
     And we need the biologists to develop a hog virus that wipes out the entire population of those vermin

I heard he ain't doing to well....you may have to get his sister to make it.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 869 Officer
    total B S     mr stix      heres some facts        25 to 30 years ago rotenburger had more deer and hogs than any wma similar in size has today .       deep lake unit in big cypress couple buddies and i hunted same general area for 20 years    once very common to see 25 to 40 deer a weekend and a few hogs    today your lucky to see 2 or 3 and there are no hogs     same goes for ok slough, dinner island, spirit of the wild     all once had great deer hunting and deer numbers      thats when there were hogs running around everywhere    now the only people who think those places are good to hunt didnt hunt them 15 years ago.   trust me the only reason jw corbett and dupius and a few others at least have a average number of deer is cause they still have hogs and don,t let hunters and trappers wipe them out. mainly trappers as regular hunting will never totally wipe them out .   you will never see a wma that has a healthy population of cougars deer numbers go up without the presence of hogs     want good deer numbers on your south zone wma      never gonna happen if the only thing cougars got to eat is deer.  anyone who disagrees doesnt know what there talking about.     
    Here is one for ya, Florida was completely underwater 2.5 to 4 million years ago.  Cougars evolved 40-60 million years ago.  MIC DROP!

Cougars were believed to evolve from the Cheetah and crossed the Bering land Bridge up in Alaska (8 million years ago).  They then populated all the way down to South America.

Cougars didn't evolve in Florida they traveled here, just like the yank and all you crackers.  
    Mountain lions, so none you all get confused about cougars, were wiped out in north america ~8,000-16,000 years ago by climate change of all things. They are just as non native as all the other species that have migrated here since................(how many more periods to get the point across).......my fellow migrants......

They didn't evolve here, but neither did the sparrows, snail kites, or manatees......
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,571 Captain
    meateater said:
          heres some facts        25 to 30 years ago rotenburger had more deer and hogs than any wma similar in size has today .       deep lake unit in big cypress couple buddies and i hunted same general area for 20 years    once very common to see 25 to 40 deer a weekend and a few hogs    today your lucky to see 2 or 3 and there are no hogs     same goes for ok slough, dinner island, spirit of the wild     all once had great deer hunting and deer numbers      thats when there were hogs running around everywhere    now the only people who think those places are good to hunt didnt hunt them 15 years ago.   trust me the only reason jw corbett and dupius and a few others at least have a average number of deer is cause they still have hogs and don,t let hunters and trappers wipe them out. mainly trappers as regular hunting will never totally wipe them out .   you will never see a wma that has a healthy population of cougars deer numbers go up without the presence of hogs     want good deer numbers on your south zone wma      never gonna happen if the only thing cougars got to eat is deer.  anyone who disagrees doesnt know what there talking about.     
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Maybe the two deeply troubled low IQ angry little children here might re-think attacking a 5-6-7th generation Florida native, who has forgotten more than you two will ever know about old Florida. 

Give the man some respect, the kind you obviously didn't learn at home. 

Disgusting. Both of you.
    edited April 2020 #60
    LOL we are all 5-6-7th generation something or other.  Last time a checked it doesn't mean anything.  Science and biology mean something.  It's pretty much how the world works.

Did you great, great, great granddaddy tell you the world was flat too?
    Maybe the two deeply troubled low IQ angry little children here might re-think attacking a 5-6-7th generation Florida native, who has forgotten more than you two will ever know about old Florida. 

Give the man some respect, the kind you obviously didn't learn at home. 

Disgusting. Both of you.
    They couldn’t wipe out the darn putty tats. Our ancestors from other parts of the country could and did. If they could have done their jobs we might have some more respect......