Home Boating

First the power trim motor replaced in Nov. then power trim seals need replaced

austjjaustjj Posts: 152 Deckhand
The boat was 7 years old Nov, 2019 and know that things need repaired. I just think it odd that now the seals are leaking. I guess my question is, could this be related to the replacement of the power trim motor . I also found out from my dealer that they didnt have the part to do the job. I find that not good, could I be the only one in last ten years that needed this repair. The do sell and service Yamaha. They now are waiting for the special tool and parts. I am upset with myself for not asking if this was a job they have done in the past. I could have taken it to any Yamaha dealer within 200 miles and waited for the repair. This however was not the best time to have this problem. My dealer was closed but still doing repairs. 

I would like to hear from other Yamaha owners to get your input, my engine is F150. I am also looking at a new outfit online for now and like your input on going with the F200 or the VMAX Sho 200. I am looking at Skeeter boats at this time rather than Ranger. 

Thanks for any input, not much else to do but think, Ohio today is cold and snow flurries.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,362 AG
    Usually they dry rot from lack of use, does the boat sit for long periods of time?
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I put 100 hrs a year. I have it winterized in Nov. Then late Nov I put inside storage for three months. When I parked the boat in the drive in March, saw oil spot. To get your answer I use in Fla Mar and April 35 plus times about 60 hrs, The Ohio rest of year 45 or 50 times around 40 hours.
    Thanks Soda for your input.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 860 Officer
    Do son google searches, tons of information out there parts, tools and videos for DIY  
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,085 Captain
    The fact that the motor on the trim tilt was replaced has no relation to the seals going bad on the trim tilt actuators. The fact that the place you took it too doesn’t have the spanner wrench for a Yamaha is a bit concerning. Like soda said check out you tube, tons of videos and can be done for under 150$ in an afternoon with a few cold drinks. 
    Tony I agree about the tool , they have my boat, will make a call Mon to see what stage its in. I am not handy thats why I took it to my dealer. I am doing a search near my area where Yamaha gives then a rating above what mine has. And make a change for any work needed in the future.
    austjj said:
    Tony I agree about the tool , they have my boat, will make a call Mon to see what stage its in. I am not handy thats why I took it to my dealer. I am doing a search near my area where Yamaha gives then a rating above what mine has. And make a change for any work needed in the future.
    If you search this section i actually did this very repair a few weeks ago, i have the $70 spanner wrench, i used a breaker bar to get the caps off but I spent a week spraying the caps down with blaster to loosen them up first, came right off.  If the mechanic you use does not have the wrench they will chisel the caps off and put new ones on, but it costs more.   
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited April 2020 #8
    In my experience (23 years of teaching people how to work on outboards and motorcycles) dealing with techs/mechs from dealerships and government, the most common reason I've seen for PT&T seal leaks ... incorrect owner operation and/or maintenance.
    1)  Towing:  NOT using a "transom saver" puts excessive pressures in the trim unit.  Even half inch up/down bounces (trailering on the mechanical locks) can produce pressures double or triple the max operating pressures.  If you're not using the mechanical locks OR a transom saver, you can be applying 4 or 5 times the pressures inside that unit as the engine bucks from road irregularities. 
    2)  Stowing the boat with the engine trimmed/tilted up.  Leaving the trim/tilt rams exposed during storage guarantees dust and organic matter collecting on the shafts.  When you trim down, you drag that contamination through the seals.  Always trim the motor all the way down for long term (more than a week) storage.
    When trailering and storing i always have the yamaha wedge to keep pressure off the rams.  best 35 bucks i've spent. 
    edited April 2020 #10
    I have always used transom saver, but when I store for 3 months I keep the engine as is with the transom safer. Now I know to lower engine. 
    I am happy that the dealer ordered tool with the part, maybe he was forced to do that. I will be in better spirits when I get the boat back in my driveway. Load it up and do some spring fishing. Weather not good in Ohio that last few days. Will get better Sun on for 8 or so days. Warmer to me but cold to you. I think looking back I took my being in Fort Myers Beach during March and April for granted or that its always going to be their for us. We have gone 17 out of 19 yrs. I will look forward to next spring in Fort Myers Beach.

One last question, with flushing of the engine after use and proper maintenance, and using 7 or 8 weeks a year in salt. How many yrs could this engine last or how many hrs, just at 455 hours now.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,085 Captain
    Their are commercial fisherman
    with thousands of hours on these 4 strokes. Routine maintenance and some TLC goes a long way. 
    The longevity of anything, but more important in a boat and its outboard is closely related to the maintenance it gets, my engine is a 2008 Etec 300HP use exclusively in salt water with over 600 hours and is like new, there is not a speck of rust anywhere 
    Thanks for your input, I dont have any rust but concern is what you cant see. I am trying to decide if this is good time to sell, esp with repairs done and engine 100%. As well as trailer lube oil changed and new brake pads. I like to get new outfit with extended warranty on the engine. I feel if I have to replace my engine in 3 yrs at $15,000, rather add $13,000 and my boat and get a new outfit. Not sure it make sense, but to me it does. I also was thinking at my age I dont need a 150 on my boat and if something does go wrong, I can replace with a less expensive F115. 
    edited April 2020 #15
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,764 Captain
    Tony Roma said:
    Their are commercial fisherman
    with thousands of hours on these 4 strokes. Routine maintenance and some TLC goes a long way. 
    Best thing ever for a boat is running it
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Appreciate your input. I think one negative here in Ohio, they are not use to working on an engine that has saltwater use. When they did work on my trailer, they broke things first and then said they needed to charge me for 4 extra hrs of labor. The owner need give me $200 discount so that made up for half of the hours. I did do some checking and Yamaha has some dealers who are gold rated and master techs, mine is neither. What he does to get Yamaha ok is send his service manager to school. Also since Bass Pro now owns Ranger, my dealers stock boats are all Merc Pro XS 150 or 200.  I do like my Yamaha but thinking I need to find better service. 
    One other question, since this year will be no Florida use, engine will only have 40 to 50 hrs at the end of the year, should I still have him change the 4 stroke oil and filter?
    Dealer said tool and part on way. Told me it is the trim ram seal. 
    edited April 2020 #19
    Good ideas, thank you. I hope to get my boat from shop next Tues or Thurs. Will be 60 for several days with rain in forecast, but I cant wait.
    austjj said:
    Appreciate your input. I think one negative here in Ohio, they are not use to working on an engine that has saltwater use. When they did work on my trailer, they broke things first and then said they needed to charge me for 4 extra hrs of labor. The owner need give me $200 discount so that made up for half of the hours. I did do some checking and Yamaha has some dealers who are gold rated and master techs, mine is neither. What he does to get Yamaha ok is send his service manager to school. Also since Bass Pro now owns Ranger, my dealers stock boats are all Merc Pro XS 150 or 200.  I do like my Yamaha but thinking I need to find better service. 
    One other question, since this year will be no Florida use, engine will only have 40 to 50 hrs at the end of the year, should I still have him change the 4 stroke oil and filter?
    What you consider to be the ideal boat/engine combo depends on the use and purpose, nothing to do with age, I am 70 and still going strong with frequents offshore runs many times solo, lol, on the issue of dealer ratings more than often it has to do with the amount of engines they sell and not with the repair service, this is not the best time to sell a boat, it is better during the summer month when people get the itch to go and enjoy water activities, it is also the time when most "newcomers" enter the market.   
    Thats great you can do the solo trips and going strong. I am 77 but have been taken by many to be late 50's.. I pride myself in staying fit. Staring each Oct I do the Y 5 times a week with a 2 hours routine. During the warmer months I walk 2 to 4 miles a day.
    I am not so sure about what your saying on dealer ratings. The dealers who had gold ratings and master techs were not big dealers not volume dealers. Mine on the other hand is major dealer that attracts people from 5 or 6 states. I understand what your saying about the best time to sell a boat. I  missed a good deal in  Oct with a fair trade, but just wasnt ready to pull the trigger. Thanks for your input
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 881 Officer

When trailering and storing i always have the yamaha wedge to keep pressure off the rams.  best 35 bucks i've spent. 
    This - or even better buy a Motor Mate.

https://motormateusa.com/