Home General Hunting

new to hunting

cityguycityguy pasco countyPosts: 8 Deckhand
Hey guys. Im new to Florida. i would like to get into hunting and learning my way around.
is there any advice you would like to share. If anyone would like to take a new guy under their wing and teach me a few tricks i would be truly grateful.
i am located in pasco county but i dont mind driving anywhere. 

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 903 Officer
    Welcome aboard new guy! Do you have any hunting experience? Do you have a hunter safety card? What do you want to hunt?
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 163 Deckhand
    The quota application period is in May.

You have some time to go to FWC website, see the hunt areas near you and possibly go scout prior to the application and draw period.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,165 Officer
    Welcome to the forum.
  • cityguycityguy pasco countyPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Thank you guys @swampdog. I dont have any experience what so ever. i just moved down from Manhattan try to change my lifestyle. I have been told to look into FWC classes. i guess that is my best start. i would also like to get some experience from the locals. I apologize for the late response.  
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 40 Deckhand
    I think the FWC may have some mentor programs to introduce people to   hunting 
  • turkeymanturkeyman Fort whitePosts: 84 Deckhand
    Welcome to the forum. 
    Im not in your area, not much help to you as far as taking you. 

If you choose archery practice shooting at much as possible.  When you meet someone that hunts. Talk to them, ask all the questions you can.  Must hunters will help.  If your hunting on public land and you see a truck parked where you want to hunt move on to the next spot. If the hunter is at the truck tell him or her you are hunting in that direction. Ask them is that going to get in his way.  Most likely they will tell you no problem. You might even make a friend and have a hunting partner. My best friend ever, I met that way. He walked up to me on a draw hunt and asked about hunting where I was.  Some hunters however will park and walk right in on you.  They might even wave at you while climbing the tree 50 yards from you.  Yes, that has happened Haha. Don't be that hunter.  I wish you the best and have fun. 
  • cityguycityguy pasco countyPosts: 8 Deckhand
    @turkeyman thank you for those advices. i will keep them in mind as soon a i can get out there. thank you guys and i will keep youg uys updated. and i am alway shere to read up on more advice and experience,
  • 95486499669548649966 Coral Springs FlPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Can someone tell where are the best rabbit hunting areas mid to South Florida. Thank you 
  • DixieHookerDixieHooker Posts: 5 Deckhand
    Hey new guy,
    Welcome to the jungle, 
    lots of different type of hunting available here. Do you have any specific game you are interested in? Do you have any outdoors experience to pull from? Let’s us know and we can better guide you. As far as hunting goes ya gotta have a hunting tool. Until we know what ya want to hunt it’s wide open. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Hello City Guy.
    I was born in Miami Beach, Florida.
    Decades ago.
    If I wasn’t so busy with wealthy prospective Land Buyers looking to buy land your newly found Florida Government missed out on, on your behalf, stopped and delayed Conservation Hunt Lands Fee Simple I would be available to incorporate you.
    Welcome to Florida Hunt & Hunter world!
    Manhattan Great, now on to the next Chapter.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,608 Admiral
    FloridaOD said:
    Hello City Guy.
    I was born in Miami Beach, Florida.
    Decades ago.
    If I wasn’t so busy with wealthy prospective Land Buyers looking to buy land your newly found Florida Government missed out on, on your behalf, stopped and delayed Conservation Hunt Lands Fee Simple I would be available to incorporate you.
    Welcome to Florida Hunt & Hunter world!
    Manhattan Great, now on to the next Chapter.

I thought you were a Yacht Broker ?
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,001 Officer
    edited April 14 #13
    Can someone tell where are the best rabbit hunting areas mid to South Florida. Thank you 
    Cow Pastures at Dusk and Dawn..
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,305 Captain
    Old Browns Farm Road, Shawano
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,632 Captain
    Cane field on fire
  • Seaves1017Seaves1017 Davenport, FloridaPosts: 6 Deckhand
    Always start with a hunter's safety course (obviously it is required anyways).  It will teach you safety as well as knowledge on various things such as types of ammunition, ethical shots, etc.  After passing the course and getting your license I would recommend small game hunting.  I have always gone solo and I am self taught.  I found that small game hunting helped me a lot with basic skills when I was starting out (spotting, calling, taking shots under pressure, field dressing and butchering).  I would recommend rabbit or squirrel since they are easy and not having a dog won't make much of a difference.  If you are a reader I would always recommend picking up some books! (I found Steven Rinellas books to be VERY useful.)  Other then that you just gotta get out there!  Best of luck :)
    Pinman said:
    Cane field on fire
    Ya'll need to watch that video..it's pretty cool ..you tube
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 506 Officer
    Pinman said:
    Cane field on fire
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbmsG7-EKo
    Thanks for posting josh...
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,314 Officer
    Pinman said:
    Cane field on fire
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbmsG7-EKo
    Thump Hunt 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 506 Officer
    Had to watch it again myself
  • shempshemp Posts: 609 Officer
    Look at wma brochures...each wma may have it's own seasons and not follow statewide seasons. Ask around for a guided hunt opportunity you can learn a lot. Where in pasco are you?
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Pascoe County more interested in New Development than new Hunter opportunity.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 432 Deckhand
    FloridaOD said:
    Pascoe County more interested in New Development than new Hunter opportunity.
    I’m sure the Pasco landowners who are selling would be more than happy to have a preservationist such as yourself buy it, rather than a developer. How big is your bank account getting, now that you are taking a break from being a lounge lizard?
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 242 Deckhand
    Development is going to slow down for a bit here.  Might be able to snag some land cheaper.
  • Poco_LocoPoco_Loco Brandon FLPosts: 6 Deckhand
    After a Bow or rifle, buy a ThermaCELL. Maybe before the bow or rifle!
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 242 Deckhand
    If you decide to hunt public land, which I mostly do, pick a WMA close and spend your summer hiking it.  I use ONX to mark all the stuff I find and to E-Scout.  Find 3-5 spots that have three or more of the following; active sign, food, water, cover, merging trails, and edge habitat.  Set up some game cameras this summer and see what moving.  Get at least half mile from any path or road.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,165 Officer
    You don't have to out walk everyone you need to out hunt them. Sometimes some really great hunting is much closer than you would think. Look for spots people pass up trying to get somewhere else. I have one or two that always seem to have activity once the pressure starts ramping up.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,305 Captain
    edited April 22 #31
    You don't have to out walk everyone you need to out hunt them. Sometimes some really great hunting is much closer than you would think. Look for spots people pass up trying to get somewhere else. I have one or two that always seem to have activity once the pressure starts ramping up.
    There is great wisdom in this reply, and in preparing for mosquitos and thirst. 

In case it hasn't been mentioned i will add that when it comes to public land deer and hog hunting in FL, (particularly South Florida) do not have unreasonably high expectations and know that you are very likely going to get wet. Learn the woods you will be hunting like the back of your hand.