Skip to main content
Home Boating

DIY T top addition for shade

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,403 AG
edited April 2020 in Boating #1
Wondering if anyone here has made one, i'm planning on making one in the next few weeks just to give the wife some additional shade when she's out on the boat, she doesn't get in the water and i know it gets hot out there while we are scalloping or doing whatever.    I have ordered a couple of rod holders that will clamp on to my side rails (sea pro SV2100).   The plan is to take a couple wooden dowels and epoxy a bolt onto one end, and put them in the rod holders which will be facing towards the bow.  I have also ordered a 6x8 mesh tarp, figure i'll just ziptie it to the T top and then put the other end over the bolt and use a wingnut to keep it from coming off.     Does that sound about right?   Anyone got better ideas than that?   Should cost me about 50 bucks total.  
You can't pet a dead dog back to life 

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,646 AG
    edited April 2020 #2
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,403 AG
    Love the throw pillows.   very snazzy.   Someone having peach bellinis for breakfast?  
  • FlecFlec Posts: 734 Officer
    I once made a PVC TTop for my old Aquasport 200. I mounted it to my grab rail with two VHF antenna mounts and had a custom weblon top made,worked great. But really, an umbrella like the ones above are great. But consider this,,early and late in the day when the sun is low, shade tops don't shade to well unless your umbrella tilts at a joint which some do.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,403 AG
    Flec said:
    I once made a PVC TTop for my old Aquasport 200. I mounted it to my grab rail with two VHF antenna mounts and had a custom weblon top made,worked great. But really, an umbrella like the ones above are great. But consider this,,early and late in the day when the sun is low, shade tops don't shade to well unless your umbrella tilts at a joint which some do.
    I agree with you.   I won't be able to adjust that like an umbrella.   But I'll really only need it when the sun is high in the sky i would think.   Early morning/late afternoon shouldn't be an issue, well i hope it isn't. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,781 Captain
    edited April 2020 #6
    When I work on my boat, and sometimes on the water, I use a tarp and bungees.  You have to move it around throughout the day, and the degree to which you move it changes throughout the year.  I currently have a bimini and I think it makes it a little easier bc sometimes it's more like hanging a curtain than stringing a roof.  Sometimes a combination (ie angled) works best.  A combination of bungees and quickties (and diff size tarps even) helps by giving you more configuration options.  You can also buy tarp clips that will attach to anywhere on a tarp, not just at the rings.  All this stows away easily as well.
    I'm finally getting a t top put on my boat.  I'm planning to have a few canvasas (prob 3, a couple dif size rectangle and one triangle) with multiple rings along the edges made. And add a few spots for removable vertical rods (prob 1 in the bow and 2 at the stern).  But a couple tarps and a variety of bungees (and especially dowels like you mentioned) will work just fine on a t top as well. 
    Obviously, none of this is for running :D
    Adequate shade has become a necessity for me, being at a pretty high risk for skin can.  The next boat will have a very nice custom canvas job, for chillin.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 861 Officer
    I graded two 15 feet long 1/2" aluminum pipes put an eye SS end on each one mounted tow quick release  on top of the half tower, made a piece on canvas with two log pockets to thread on the pipes once fixt to the hard top, thread the canvas and put a piece of pvc to finish the frame, I also have addition pieces of shades to attach on the sides of the pipes to block sun coming low, it works great the whole back of the boat is shaded.