Home Off Topic

Hand shaking

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,607 Captain
    edited April 12 #32
    John,  How old are you?  Do you think shaking hands is really a good idea?  Be safe.....Mike
    I'm 50. Yes I always think a handshake is good. I also have a wife and 3 children.  
    What does your wife think of your behavior?

I used to think handshakes were good too.  "Used to" being the operative words.

I hope you are exceedingly careful with your hygiene.

Please be careful.
     I've never asked her how she feels about me shaking hands. 

She's very proud that she married a forward thinking man and provider that puts his family first in every aspect. 

I've always had good hygiene and I've never been scared of the boogieman
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    edited April 12 #33
    I hope you're right.

If you really put your family first, I don't think you wouldn't shake people's hands, and if you ask your wife I suspect she would agree.  It only takes one mistake.

Do me a favor and ask your wife, "Hey honey,  what do you think should still shake people's hands?"  Please report back what she says.

• captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
    edited April 12 #34
    Where does it end? Door knobs? The cold section at Cads store where you have to actually open the door to get a beer? Gloves are no better. Germs are germs. They generally don't discriminate too much when it comes to surfaces.

How about pro sports, airlines? Will they survive with permanent 6' distancing? High school football? Ballet, broadway? 

How does NY, Chicago subways make it with distancing?

Amtrak? which is on life support anyway? How about all the other new goodies, um, public transportation, mass transit that progressives have been clamoring for, and getting? Guess they didn't count on all that down the tubes. Oops. 

Restaurants won't make it one day at 50% seating capacity, and thats assuming business bounces back immediately. Less business plus less capacity = certain death.

No more world tours for bands. Or any of the people that work in that business.

How do packed classrooms separate kids 6'? Seriously?

I could go on, but you get the point.

This is just effing insane.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,607 Captain
    If you really put your family first, I don't think you wouldn't shake people's hands, and if you ask your wife I suspect she would agree.

It only takes one mistake.

I hope you're right.
    Read the last sentence in my response to you.  I'll be right
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,712 AG
    So I guess all of you scaredy-cats are going to quit kissing women to? 
    I found out a long time ago walking up and kissing strange women will get you in trouble, unless their Italian!

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,142 AG
    I brought that up in another thread, but apparently very few got it, ( I must admit I hid the direct intention to see if someone understood it) and someone actually said the prevailing knowledge at the time was conspiracy theory and/or misinformation.                  The eighties were a pretty strange time in that regard, and very worrisome for most people “of age”. 
        The real misinformation apparently came after science knew better.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,615 Admiral
    The way I grew up was a lot of hugging your close friends and relatives. A distant man hug with pats on the back for males and a closer hug for females. Nor sure if I will do it any more at least for a while. Hand shakes for strangers.
    I think it is more of a Southern thing being affectionate as I found most Yankees to be more distant even before this pandemic.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,075 Officer
    Always been a handshaker. However if I knew someone was sick, I didn’t shake their hand. Always been pretty healthy, but now I’m not taking any chances. Wishing everyone luck in these uncharted waters,
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    If you really put your family first, I don't think you wouldn't shake people's hands, and if you ask your wife I suspect she would agree.

It only takes one mistake.

I hope you're right.
    Read the last sentence in my response to you.  I'll be right
    You're probably right.  Just ask, please, and let us know.  I'm curious.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,111 Captain
    edited April 13 #41
    I’m never going to be able to hang out with my black friends now.....
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,423 Admiral
    gogittum said:
    plowboy said:
    A man is only as good as his handshake
    I’ve never thought more of a man because he had a firm handshake, but it is almost impossible not to think less of a man that delivers a wet noodle shake.
    I like to give a firm grip once and let go.  I don't crush people's hands to show off strength, (tho' I could) and I don't wet noodle them.  With women, I give a quick pressure of the thumb and straight fingers and let go.  I really hate those who grab onto your hand and keep pumping and pumping like they were trying to draw water.  Once and let go ! ! !

When I lived in Idaho 40 years ago, I was a timber faller and had a fix for the "crush your hand" guys.  I ran a chainsaw all day, every day and when one of them grabbed me, I'd bear down and bring them to their knees....except other fallers, of course.  :-)  Gives a feeling of satisfaction, it do.  That's also where I developed the "once and let go" thing.  My grip was far stronger than most and shaking hands is a courtesy, a greeting, not a contest of strength.  Rein in that strength and be courteous.

Where you need to keep an open mind is when greeting a Hispanic....Mexican or Central American, anyway, don't know about Cubans - courteous to them, in my experience, is a light pressure of open palms - no squeeze at all.  When I 1st encountered it, I'd tried to shake and it didn't work....and I don't like the ol' wet noodle.  Do it their way and it works fine.

I do the same with women, but about week before it wasn’t ok to shake hands, I had a lady couple come in. Very nice gals, love their cats and are going to be great clients. One of them gave me an attempted hand crush shake, I reacted quickly enough to get some grip in there, but she almost had me. By far the strongest handshake I’ve ever had by a women. And easily in my lifetime top 10. 
    SO, not to be stereotypical, but you said "two women", cat people, any chance they might have been "together"? If so, was it the more masculine one who attempted to crush your hand? Because that would make sense.
    That is what I meant by lady couple. Neither was particularly feminine. One was tall and slender and one was short and not slender. The tall one was the hand crusher
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,423 Admiral
    Prayers you get back to your black friends soon🍺
    You should have been here yesterday
    gogittum said:
    plowboy said:
    A man is only as good as his handshake
    I’ve never thought more of a man because he had a firm handshake, but it is almost impossible not to think less of a man that delivers a wet noodle shake.
    I like to give a firm grip once and let go.  I don't crush people's hands to show off strength, (tho' I could) and I don't wet noodle them.  With women, I give a quick pressure of the thumb and straight fingers and let go.  I really hate those who grab onto your hand and keep pumping and pumping like they were trying to draw water.  Once and let go ! ! !

When I lived in Idaho 40 years ago, I was a timber faller and had a fix for the "crush your hand" guys.  I ran a chainsaw all day, every day and when one of them grabbed me, I'd bear down and bring them to their knees....except other fallers, of course.  :-)  Gives a feeling of satisfaction, it do.  That's also where I developed the "once and let go" thing.  My grip was far stronger than most and shaking hands is a courtesy, a greeting, not a contest of strength.  Rein in that strength and be courteous.

Where you need to keep an open mind is when greeting a Hispanic....Mexican or Central American, anyway, don't know about Cubans - courteous to them, in my experience, is a light pressure of open palms - no squeeze at all.  When I 1st encountered it, I'd tried to shake and it didn't work....and I don't like the ol' wet noodle.  Do it their way and it works fine.

I do the same with women, but about week before it wasn’t ok to shake hands, I had a lady couple come in. Very nice gals, love their cats and are going to be great clients. One of them gave me an attempted hand crush shake, I reacted quickly enough to get some grip in there, but she almost had me. By far the strongest handshake I’ve ever had by a women. And easily in my lifetime top 10. 
    SO, not to be stereotypical, but you said "two women", cat people, any chance they might have been "together"? If so, was it the more masculine one who attempted to crush your hand? Because that would make sense.
    That is what I meant by lady couple. Neither was particularly feminine. One was tall and slender and one was short and not slender. The tall one was the hand crusher
    Did she have short hair and drive a Subaru?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,150 Admiral
    Women don't have hands large enough to reach around my palm, and a lot of guys can't either. Awkwerd for a man   normal for a women. I just give the ladies a gentle shake. Medium for men, but sure is strage when you get a guy that can't grip your palm.

Had a guy the other day probably in his eighties the customer. Big dude Southern boy from North Carolina. He was hovering around me the whole time I was there gave me a hearty handshake when I left. I wasn't worried about me I was worried about him. I went straight to my truck when I left and broke out the alcohol hand sanitizer like usual.
    edited April 13 #46
    Prayers you get back to your black friends soon🍺
    Thanks man. Fist bump! 

Duvalll!!!

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    dave44 said:
    I brought that up in another thread, but apparently very few got it, ( I must admit I hid the direct intention to see if someone understood it) and someone actually said the prevailing knowledge at the time was conspiracy theory and/or misinformation.                  The eighties were a pretty strange time in that regard, and very worrisome for most people “of age”. 
        The real misinformation apparently came after science knew better.
    Cad doesn’t understand it either.  ;)
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,165 Captain

She's very proud that she married a forward thinking man and provider that puts his family first in every aspect. 

Well hopefully you don't kill your entire family with your "forward thinking".
  • supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 477 Deckhand

Well hopefully you don't kill your entire family with your "forward thinking".
     :)  Parodying the hysteria is the easiest way to get a smile these days.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I gotta say, this is one of the more ridiculous suggested consequences of this whole mess.  Put out there largely by a germaphobe.. just sayin
    There may be times to suspend hand shaking, such as the one we are currently in. But forever?
    I'm a hand shaker.  Always have been.  Always will be.  For me, it's a social contract. 
    Not only am I a friendly guy, but I had a high level customer facing position for fifteen years.  All meetings began and ended with a handshake.  It bonds the word.
    I've got several friends, mostly women, that greet with a hug.  Should we stop hugging too?
    And then this all got me to thinking..  about people I've come across in my career (lots of nerdy IT people) and in life in general.  I'll bet there are a LOT of people out there, whom if we ended hand shaking, would rarely experience human touch at all.  An occasional hand shake may be literally the only physical human contact they ever experience.
    We are a social people.  Human contact is essential.  The internet is already isolating people enough as it is.  Fostering a belief that other people are dangerous to touch would be disastrous to humanity.   
    I will continue to stick my hand out there and if people start refusing it, I will truly be saddened for our future. 

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    edited April 13 #51
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. I will go back to shaking hands when this passes, but for now, it is dangerous for a 62 year old man such as myself to shake stranger's hands not knowing if they may have the virus. During this, you should avoid physical contact with strangers.

Mini Mart Magnate

• NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 69 Deckhand
    I always shook hands but have not done so since January.  I'm 73 now and a hand shake was expected and customary for my generation.  But today's younger guys are all into the chest bump/man hug thing.  That drives me crazy.  I'd gladly give up handshaking and settle for flashing a peace sign if no one ever tries to give me a man hug again.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them,

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited April 13 #53
    No Cad, people are talking about not shaking hands moving forward, in perpetuity.  That's the topic.
    And I agree, this is not a time to be shaking hands.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,893 Admiral
    edited April 13 #54
    To answer at the OP.
    Any sociopath behavior will be encouraged when not imposed. Hand-shaking, hugs, kisses, etc. will be banned and wearing mask, keeping distance and being isolate will be permanent laws. 
    At least this is what UN/WHO have in mind for the next months/years, so of course, this must be the program for that countries that will follow the UN/WHO guidelines.
    As more people are sociopath as more it is easy manipulating them.

We had an example just now.
    How it was easy create the terror between the media/social-media addicted people?
    100K (at least 30% fake) deaths in the world today, I would concede 200K at the end of the season 1 of the coronavirus reality show. In one year.
    Less than the 2004 Tsunami in the South-east estimated in 230K. In a day.

And the Western world is turned off.

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,615 Admiral
    How can you have sex without touching each other? I guess the worlds population will decrease. Maybe they figured a way to get the "Green New Deal" after all.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,893 Admiral
    edited April 13 #56
    Good question.
    Overpopulation is a problem. A problem outside the Western world but that must be faced by the Western world. According to the UN perspective, of course. Like any other problem (pollution, food stocks, etc.).

Yes, maybe they consider having less sex a solution. I won't be surprise. They are the same guys who are managing the "pandemic".
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,888 AG
    cadman said:
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. I will go back to shaking hands when this passes, but for now, it is dangerous for a 62 year old man such as myself to shake stranger's hands not knowing if they may have the virus. During this, you should avoid physical contact with strangers.
    That's me as well.  I figure if someone extends their hand now they probably aren't being cautious about anything including hygiene

Captain Todd Approves

spangler said:
    No Cad, people are talking about not shaking hands moving forward, in perpetuity.  That's the topic.
    And I agree, this is not a time to be shaking hands.
    my mistake, that is silly. I am just concerned while the virus is here. I shake hands several times a day normally.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited April 13 #59
    How can you have sex without touching each other? I guess the worlds population will decrease. Maybe they figured a way to get the "Green New Deal" after all.
    I would hope you would know the person you are having sex with well enough to know if she has the virus. besides some things are worth the risk. 

I would avoid hookers right now if I was you.  :smile:

Mini Mart Magnate

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited April 13 #60
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,941 Moderator
    Hopefully, all those people making babies during this COVID-19 crap ... will find out it causes birth defects and the baby boom will produce a bunch of zika-like small headed kids to laugh at.

You are one miserable son of a gun aren't you?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)