Home Off Topic

Uh Oh....This is BADDDD!!

NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG

51 recovered coronavirus patients in South Korea test positive again after release from quarantine

Dozens of people who were diagnosed as recovered from coronavirus in South Korea have tested positive again for the virus after leaving quarantine, according to officials.

Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said Monday 51 people from Daegu and the surrounding North Gyeongsang Province tested positive for COVID-19 a "relatively short time" after they were released.

The virus likely was reactivated, said KCDC Director-General Jeong Eun-kyeong, instead of the people being reinfected once they left, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/coronavirus-south-korea-patients-test-postive-again-quarantine-release-covid-19

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,628 AG
    That is not the first time that has been reported, it happened in China and other places, They blamed it on bad tests then.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    edited April 7 #3
    But this is South Korea a place that has been touted by many as the model we should have followed in responding to to Covid 19....

Scary times straight ahead.....until this report I wasn't too worried.....now I am!

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,835 Moderator
    Why don't we wait a few days and see where this goes. Panicking over every news report is not solving anything.

"10 percent of coronavirus patients had tested positive again after being discharged from the hospital.

**** Wei, the president of Tongji Hospital where the first COVID-19 case was identified, told state broadcaster CCTV that those who tested positive did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected."

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Ferris, you may want to pass that advice along to the media. 

Ferris, you may want to pass that advice along to the media. 

Why? In this country they are free to express themselves in many ways. It's the people who react to whats been written that are the problem.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    I am usually optimistic and think the news blows it out of proportion. However I think they're trying to cover this up. I think it's going to go sideways big time and I don't see it going away this year and I have zero Medical information it just seems common sense to me I don't see the numbers going down.

I believed it when I first heard we're going to Peak in a couple of weeks and then this is going to all go away well it didn't peak in a couple of weeks it didn't peak in 4 weeks it didn't peak in 6 weeks it didn't Peek'n 8 weeks and I don't see it Peeking anytime soon
    Viruses never go away. 
    I think it's peeked and we will see numbers going down. My big question is will it come back with a vengeance or fade away as immunity is developed or vaccines come into play.

I'm also hoping this eliminates some the stranglehold the FDA has on new medicines.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,359 Admiral
    I'll be honest, I actually like the fact that there is a lot less traffic on the roads and any where I go.  I live in a an area where there's a lot of schools, I had to go get something at HD this morning, there is a  school zone on the way, normally there's lines of vehicles a mile long to drop off their kids at the front door.  I didn't see one vehicle near the school when I drove by.  Kind of a eerie feeling seeing no vehicles.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,422 AG
    I think the economic ramafications will be felt for at least a year or more.

Health wise, untill a vaccine or some type of medication to minimize the effects of the virus. 

I pray to God I am wrong. 
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,578 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:

Health wise, untill a vaccine or some type of medication to minimize the effects of the virus. 

I would spread a internet rumor that eating crabs will ward off the virus. You can be a billionaire.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,628 AG
    AC Man said:
    I am usually optimistic and think the news blows it out of proportion. However I think they're trying to cover this up. I think it's going to go sideways big time and I don't see it going away this year and I have zero Medical information it just seems common sense to me I don't see the numbers going down.

I believed it when I first heard we're going to Peak in a couple of weeks and then this is going to all go away well it didn't peak in a couple of weeks it didn't peak in 4 weeks it didn't peak in 6 weeks it didn't Peek'n 8 weeks and I don't see it Peeking anytime soon
    It has been 11 weeks since the first cases started showing up in the U.S.

We did not hit 1000 cases until March 10th. Which is when I started hearing time lines. It was supposed to be15 days to stop the virus
    Cases kept climbing and now it is 30 days to slow the virus. I never heard anything other than sometime in April it would peak. 

If you looked at Italy and Spain you would know we weren't close to peak cases. We will have over a million infected before this is over. 

But I hope we have this behind us by the end of May or June. Time will tell 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

ANUMBER1 said:

It’s already started. Many produce fields are being plowed under along with dumping of dairy products. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    First I heard was doctor Drew. He said he expected 100,000 nationwide cases and then level off. Well that didn't work
    edited April 7 #16
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:

It has been 11 weeks since the first cases started showing up in the U.S.

We did not hit 1000 cases until March 10th. Which is when I started hearing time lines. It was supposed to be15 days to stop the virus
    Cases kept climbing and now it is 30 days to slow the virus. I never heard anything other than sometime in April it would peak. 

If you looked at Italy and Spain you would know we weren't close to peak cases. We will have over a million infected before this is over. 

But I hope we have this behind us by the end of May or June. Time will tell 
    Since the first known cases?
    It’s been in this country for month’s. 
     Think about it, from November 2019 to January 30th2020 an average of 5000 passengers a DAY were flying into just California airports from China and especially the Wuhan area. 
     Then add in the passenger traffic into NYC, Seattle and Chicago. 
    I was not joking when I said I had it back in December.  
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I think the economic ramifications will be felt for at least a year or more.

Health wise, until a vaccine or some type of medication to minimize the effects of the virus. 

I think you are correct.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,823 AG
    It's Peking.  Get it?

The story says it "reactivated".  So they were never over it and not immune yet.  That's my take away.  A non story.

Captain Todd Approves

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 471 Deckhand
    Why don't we wait a few days and see where this goes. Panicking over every news report is not solving anything.

"10 percent of coronavirus patients had tested positive again after being discharged from the hospital.

**** Wei, the president of Tongji Hospital where the first COVID-19 case was identified, told state broadcaster CCTV that those who tested positive did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected."

Could well be that the testing of recovered patients were testing positive on the developed antibodies, not on active virus.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,536 Captain
    Meh again
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,343 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:

Only a year? I hope your right
    You should have been here yesterday
    I hedged my bet with  "at least a year or more"
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    or maybe should have gone with immediate economic ramifications???
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,621 Admiral
    edited April 8 #24
    Easy solution.  We need to shut down for May, June, July and August.  Well the virus may re-surge in the fall, so go ahead and shut down October, November and December.  We can have September.  Problem solved.  

Joking aside, bad tests.  Clearly those patients had a false negative.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,162 Captain
    King_Me said:
    I'll be honest, I actually like the fact that there is a lot less traffic on the roads and any where I go.  I live in a an area where there's a lot of schools, I had to go get something at HD this morning, there is a  school zone on the way, normally there's lines of vehicles a mile long to drop off their kids at the front door.  I didn't see one vehicle near the school when I drove by.  Kind of a eerie feeling seeing no vehicles.
    Kind of a high price to pay for good traffic flow though.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    At some point we will all get it. Just a matter of time. The strong will survive.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,358 AG
    kellercl said:
    Easy solution.  We need to shut down for May, June, July and August.  Well the virus may re-surge in the fall, so go ahead and shut down October, November and December.  We can have September.  Problem solved.  

Yup
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,076 AG
    kellercl said:

Yup
    True!
    😂
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,162 Captain

So if it is so bad, what is this all about?

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    To all the "medical professionals" on here who are trying to simply pass this off as 'bad tests' in South Korea....please read the following....in laymen terms, some viruses have the ability to deactivate and then reactive.........this thing is SCARY!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_latency

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,076 AG
    To all the "medical professionals" on here who are trying to simply pass this off as 'bad tests' in South Korea....please read the following....in laymen terms, some viruses have the ability to deactivate and then reactive.........this thing is SCARY!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_latency

Then any testing would mean very little, some people’s heads might be exploding about that Salty.