Home General Freshwater Fishing

Lake Okeechobee Bass Fishing and a 27# sack.

Dan Bieniek, co owner of JD'sCustomBaits and I loaded up the Gheenoe skiff and headed north to the Big O. We wanted to fish in an area called Moonshine Bay. We took 7 mile ditch out of Moore Haven to the Dynamite Cut trail. Once we arrived at the entrance we saw that even in my shallow water skiff there would be no way I could navigate the trail safely. We opted to continue our run out towards the lake. Within a few minutes we had found a good looking area full of lilly pads, hydrilla, bully whips and kissimmee grass. We tied on some of the JD'sCustomBaits frogs and got to work. We were picking up fish slowly throughtout the day. At about 4 in the afternoon we went on a tear, putting several 6# class bass in the boat and fighting a handfull more of similiar or better sized fish. Despite using 7'6" heavy action flipping sticks and 40#&65# braid, we just could not get alot of the fish out of the thick cover. We put somewhere around 22 fish in the boat. Dan had a couple of 4 pounders and three 6+ pounders for a personal best 27# sack. I picked up a 15# sack. All were caught on the frog. It was a great day on the lake and I'am already plotting the next trip up in a couple of weeks.
f589ee7d.jpg
808fd001.jpg

Replies

• RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Good work Shane, those are some nice fish.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    nice work Capt Shane !! :beer
  • real crazyreal crazy Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    As a FYI.......you post pictures of bags when you are breaking the law. You are only allowed to possess 1 of those big fish per angler. Unless you have a waiver from FWC. IN A live well is in possession. the lake is on fire and I do enjoy your reports but we all need to follow the rules. CONGRADS!
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    real crazy wrote: »
    As a FYI.......you post pictures of bags when you are breaking the law. You are only allowed to possess 1 of those big fish per angler. Unless you have a waiver from FWC. IN A live well is in possession. the lake is on fire and I do enjoy your reports but we all need to follow the rules. CONGRADS!

What is it now , one over 22" ?
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    What is it now , one over 22" ?

The current Lake O LMB regulation is 5 fish bag, with 18" min., only one of which may be 22" or larger. Most of the rest of South Florida is a 5 fish bag, with no minimum size, and only one fish 14" or larger.
    Without the ability to measure these fish, we can't accurately discuss the legality, and should give the benefit of the doubt. We can question the ethics.
  • Real Crazy is correct in calling out the third fish over the 22". I PM'd him and told him that his statement was "well said". In our lust for a good photo we did have a third fish over 22" on the boat. Having said that, there is No excuse and You won't see it from me again. In the end all fish were released healthy to fight another day.
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 110 Deckhand
    In the end all fish were released healthy to fight another day.
    :beer
    It has taken awhile but the rebound effect has made a major improvement in our fishery... Thanks to those whom most curse everyday! Nice job on the catchin...
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • real crazyreal crazy Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    cuckoo wrote: »
    :beer
    It has taken awhile but the rebound effect has made a major improvement in our fishery... Thanks to those whom most curse everyday! Nice job on the catchin...

That explains the dust in the room!:beer

Capt Shane did IM me and took my post EXACTLZY as meant. This isnt the courtroom folks but alot of people who do see these post will learn from them or follow them. Thank you Capt! As my post started off.............FWI

Frank I was in you neck of the woods a cpl wknds ago I could tell from the empties, :rotflmao Seriously I have something interesting to share, call me!

As I said prior I like seeing Shane's reports, he is one of the guys who fishes his **** off and seems very honest, THANX AGAIN for the reports!
  • flaswimbaiterflaswimbaiter Posts: 123 Officer
    Wow, that is an impressive sack.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Killer frog bite :beer
    "You'll get your weather"