Home General Fishing

Need line spooling machine.

demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
 Anyone know a tackle shop going out of business?  I need a industrial line spooling machine. It must work with large conventional reels, and large diamator spools like the 2 pound bulk size spools. Anyways looking for one even if it needs repairs. If you know of one shoot me a PM.  
 I cant get my wife, or friends to hold any more spools of line. They get pissed at me for it. Sometimes I literally put 1 mile of line or more of line on a reel. I wont even ask them to turn the handle. 

Replies

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Try going on ebay and doing a search for "Reel Winder III" and "Motorized Line Winder." I've used the Reel Winder for spooling 80 wides and even a Penn 118 (16/0). I haven't used the Motorized Line Winder but it might suit your needs if you don't want to hand crank.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 789 Officer
    I use the reel winder. The only thing I don't like is having to take the line of by hand
  • stevenattsustevenattsu PensacolaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I just bought one with 10 two pound spools, several reels/rods and tackle for $80 on craigslist 
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
    I just bought one with 10 two pound spools, several reels/rods and tackle for $80 on craigslist 
     That sounds like what I need. I am looking for the commercial set up. Motorized, adjustable tension, and holds the spool. 
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    If you are interested in commercial grade, it's going to cost - but this one is worth it:

http://trianglesport.com/cms/ 

Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
     Yup. Thats what I am looking for. Going to see if one turns up used. If not I will get a new one. 
     Thanks again Benny. 

I had one in my hands two years ago. Didn't buy it. Got home and the wife says what the $<"( why didn't you buy it!  She hasn't helped since. She uses the gear too.  Friends wont either way to many miles wound, and fingers burnt. 

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 232 Deckhand
     Yup. Thats what I am looking for. Going to see if one turns up used. If not I will get a new one. 
     Thanks again Benny. 

I had one in my hands two years ago. Didn't buy it. Got home and the wife says what the $<"( why didn't you buy it!  She hasn't helped since. She uses the gear too.  Friends wont either way to many miles wound, and fingers burnt. 

When I'm in a pinch and the Mrs. doesn't want to help, here's what I do.  I take a wooden spoon and put it through the bulk spool.  I put on an old pair of shoes that I don't care about and apply pressure to both sides of the bulk spool to create drag as I wind it on by hand.  Make sure you have a towel or something under the bulk spool because it can heat up and mark up your floor, or whatever you have it sitting on.  I find that attaching the reel to the lower half of a 2 piece rod also helps keep the reel steady as I wind.  You can get very similar results to professional line winding this way, just takes a bit longer.  I haven't had any issues with line digging in so long as proper tension is applied.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • JamesNJamesN Posts: 53 Deckhand
      benwah22 said:
     Thanks again Benny. 

When I'm in a pinch and the Mrs. doesn't want to help, here's what I do.  I take a wooden spoon and put it through the bulk spool.  I put on an old pair of shoes that I don't care about and apply pressure to both sides of the bulk spool to create drag as I wind it on by hand.  Make sure you have a towel or something under the bulk spool because it can heat up and mark up your floor, or whatever you have it sitting on.  I find that attaching the reel to the lower half of a 2 piece rod also helps keep the reel steady as I wind.  You can get very similar results to professional line winding this way, just takes a bit longer.  I haven't had any issues with line digging in so long as proper tension is applied.
    PENN makes a HD line winder that will hold bulk spools and tension line for you,  just have to hand crank the line but very inexpensive compared to the  commericial grade stuff.  I have used several times and does excellent job.  If you dont mind the cranking part very good option. I have used for spinning reels and bait caster reels for my tournament redfish tackle and filling 2 speeds penn fathom 25n and 30s and a 30W and 50W. $71.99 on Penns Website right now.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited April 6 #11
    Have you checked e-bay?  I saw few on sale there when you first posted this thread.  They weren't cheap though.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,331 Admiral
    How many reels do you spool a year? I do quite a few but usually spool on to a spare International 50 from the factory "line" spool and then adjust the drag settings on that "slave" reel and then wind onto the reel I am spooling with the desired tension. I have  some reel crankies for some of my reels that I can attach to a drill to speed things up but most of the time I wind by hand and rest now and then to take a sip of beer. Unless you run a tackle shop, I don't think the investment is worth it.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited April 7 #13
    Good point, Conchy.  

FWIW, I bought the Berkley Cyclone years ago and it's still going strong.  It was like $100, but it's not sold any more.  Finding one used might be a good alternative between doing it by hand and an expensive professional model ($1k and up new).

• captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
     Anyone know a tackle shop going out of business?  I need a industrial line spooling machine. It must work with large conventional reels, and large diamator spools like the 2 pound bulk size spools. Anyways looking for one even if it needs repairs. If you know of one shoot me a PM.  
     I cant get my wife, or friends to hold any more spools of line. They get pissed at me for it. Sometimes I literally put 1 mile of line or more of line on a reel. I wont even ask them to turn the handle. 
    I'd like to see a conventional reel that holds a mile of line, although I'm not sure if the necessity for that much line.
    I'd like to see a conventional reel that holds a mile of line, although I'm not sure if the necessity for that much line.

HA.... THIS IS MY STORY AND I CAN TELL IT HOW I WANT TOO. 

I've got 5/8 of a mile on a trinidad 16. Close to 5/16 of a mile on a torsa 16N. Those are some of my smallest reels. 
     When you like to fish over 1/4 of a mile deep, or more. Sometimes a lot closer to a half mile. You need all that line. Also you need some reserves in case the one driving the boat isn't that grate, or you break off. 
     (Explanation, Experience, and Reasonig deleted)

ON SECOND THOUGHT IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY BUTT OUT AND DONT RESPONDED. 

REMBER DONT GET MAD BECAUSE I FISH DEEPER. 
    How many reels do you spool a year? I do quite a few but usually spool on to a spare International 50 from the factory "line" spool and then adjust the drag settings on that "slave" reel and then wind onto the reel I am spooling with the desired tension. I have  some reel crankies for some of my reels that I can attach to a drill to speed things up but most of the time I wind by hand and rest now and then to take a sip of beer. Unless you run a tackle shop, I don't think the investment is worth it.
     I've got a 50vsx, 2 30vsw's, 4 torsa 30's, and 3 electrics that I would like to do. As of now. 

Thanks for sharing your method of tensioning the line. I've got an electric I was planning on swapping the line over on too a 50. I may try it with that. 
    Good point, Conchy.  

FWIW, I bought the Berkley Cyclone years ago and it's still going strong.  It was like $100, but it's not sold any more.  Finding one used might be a good alternative between doing it by hand and an expensive professional model ($1k and up new).

Thanks.
    I will look into it.