Home General Fishing

Absolutely Slayed the Gator Trout and Snook. Best inshore bite I've seen.

HFFHFF Posts: 215 Deckhand
I had some friends down from Orange Beach Alabama and promised I'd put them on a great bite in Tampa Bay. I got even more than I wished for! The bite was craaaazy good! It started out slow but the fish piled into a favorite hole of mine and it was FISH ON!

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,356 Admiral
    Haven't watched the video yet, won't operate at work.  Gator trout, I assume at least 24 inch.  I will be disappointed if a Gator turns out to be a 13 inch baby.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Haven't watched the video yet, won't operate at work.  Gator trout, I assume at least 24 inch.  I will be disappointed if a Gator turns out to be a 13 inch baby.  
    He’s right. But generous. I’d say it needs to be over 26” especially if you capitalize gator in the title
    You should have been here yesterday
    edited March 20 #4
    kellercl said:
    He’s right. But generous. I’d say it needs to be over 26” especially if you capitalize gator in the title
    Doesn't matter, the trout in the video are 20-22 inch.  Nice trout, but gators they not (by both our definitions).  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    LOL....some young guide got you guys with some "clickbait" .... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR said:
    LOL....some young guide got you guys with some "clickbait" .... 
    Quarantine makes one bored.

-Walter Payton
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    we did good today in Crystal River..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited March 21 #9
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Man Art, that’s a nice mess of fry hards
    What size gill net you using Art ? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    great video and some pretty good trout. keep it up.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • HFFHFF Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Thanks for all your comments. We don't get many 25+ inch trout around here so anything over 20 is a gator to me. However, where I grew up we have some true gators over 30 inches and 13+ pounds.
  • captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    So trout is open?
    And because of the virus crisis...all fish limits are suspended..... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • cortrcortr Posts: 289 Deckhand
    HFF, where are the pictures of the 13# fish?  Hard to believe!!!
    Biggest trout I've caught was 24 inch.  The biggest I've seen was 26 inch.  30 inch seems like a unicorn, but I also don't get out on the water as much as I would like. 

-Walter Payton
    edited March 23 #17
    kellercl said:
    Biggest trout I've caught was 24 inch.  The biggest I've seen was 26 inch.  30 inch seems like a unicorn, but I also don't get out on the water as much as I would like. 
    They get bigger on the east coast. 27 is my largest. We had a 25.5” and a really good stringer and didn’t break top 3 in a smallish Steinhachee tournament a few years ago. Most larger tournaments will have a bunch of over 26” fish weighed 
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 85 Deckhand
    here is a 28" caught a few years ago.
    kellercl said:
    They get bigger on the east coast. 27 is my largest. We had a 25.5” and a really good stringer and didn’t break top 3 in a smallish Steinhachee tournament a few years ago. Most larger tournaments will have a bunch of over 26” fish weighed 
    27 inch is a heck of a catch.  I recall the 24 inch I grabbed being significantly heavier/thicker compared to the typical 20 inchers we catch.  My nephew caught the 26 incher, he as 11 years old.  Lucky ****.

-Walter Payton
    cortr said:
    HFF, where are the pictures of the 13# fish?  Hard to believe!!!
    My good friend had a few he caught at the Gulf Shores Pier. They were huge, i've seen them personally. I'll have to try and find a picture. Sadly he passed away last year.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 300 Deckhand
    Do I assume that trout are no longer bag limited?  I have to get updated I guess.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Could you explain that quantity on the cutting table?
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 229 Deckhand

Commercial guy doing his job !!

Feeding the masses that don't know how to bait a hook !

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited April 2 #24
    For those of you not aware, Art (ANUMBER1) is a commercial fisherman and almost certainly follows all applicable laws and regulations.

Here they are in case you were unfamiliar:

Slot limit: 15-24 inches

Daily harvest limit: 50 fish per person per day or per vessel, whichever is less 

Commercial vessel limit of 100 when two or more licensed fishermen are aboard

Source: https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/commercial/spotted-seatrout/

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    p.s. nice video HFF & thanks for sharing.  :)
    edited April 3 #26
    Wasn’t art telling us there were no commercial trout fisherman on the west coast? I believe he said they were only around mosquitoes lagoon area. I’m not sure where they sell the small
    ones, only seen bigguns in the fish market 
    edited April 6 #27
    There are just a couple commercial trout fisherman left in my area.....  but I can imagine most would find the commercial limits of 50 fish between 15 - 24 total bullshicks even though they do not catch anywhere near that ....when they are limited to two fish between 15 - 19 inches.

I like Sis sy and Donnie well enough.....but you can't claim the resourse is in trouble out of one side of your mouth.....then say go ahead and catch a bunch out of the other. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Wasn’t art telling us there were no commercial trout fisherman on the west coast? I believe he said they were only around mosquitoes lagoon area. I’m not sure where they sell the small
    ones, only seen bigguns in the fish market 
    Here where I live...they are live baited with pigfish....which catches the larger size fish....You know, the more prolific breeders and at 21 inches is 100% guaranteed to be a female. Also,  A 15 inch trout will produce 15 K eggs per cycle while a 24 inch trout is 8 years old and produces 1 MILLION per cycle. See the issue ?  
    Most bucks numericly ( males ) are in the 13 inch range.

I guess you can see where this is an issue ...right   LOL    Our FWC fisheries bio's are asp backwards on this and much like the Largemouth bass...when they pull their heads out of the sand...or their petard....will change to a system like the new bass regs allowing breeders to stay....and catching the males and lesser breeding young females...... or wonder of wonders...Make it a game fish and remove them from marketing.
    Remember this....NOTHING that has a bounty on its head....lives very long in this world.   
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Glad to see the discussion is alive and well. Hope everyone enjoyed the video. I'm posting a new vid now.