Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Curious questions

No more than 10 people to a boat. I have a 20 wide beam Carolina Skiff. If I put 10 people on there social distancing is impossible and everyone will falling all over each other.  Besides some big pontoons how many boats around here can comfortably fit 10 people.

Also the stay at home order says social visiting of family and friends is prohibited. However, I guess I can call them and tell them to meet me at the boat dock or river bank and we can "social visit". Correct?

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,609 Captain
    Stupid. Just stupid. If they are going to allow recreational boating during the outbreak, they need to limit it to only people who live in the same house. 

I actually had a guy come up to me yesterday wanting to talk when I was walking my dog.  I told him to step back and he said: "You can only get the disease if you in a big group, like over 10 people".  So I guess some folks are taking the Governer's order literally.

So I guess that you're safe in Church as long as there are fewer than 50 people. 

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,233 AG
    Stupid. Just stupid. If they are going to allow recreational boating during the outbreak, they need to limit it to only people who live in the same house. 

I actually had a guy come up to me yesterday wanting to talk when I was walking my dog.  I told him to step back and he said: "You can only get the disease if you in a big group, like over 10 people".  So I guess some folks are taking the Governer's order literally.

So I guess that you're safe in Church as long as there are fewer than 50 people. 

Or if those last 10 people leave and the next come in.... Here use their hymnals, they're still warm :D   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,520 Captain
    Doc said, "I actually had a guy come up to me yesterday wanting to talk when I was walking my dog.  I told him to step back and he said: "You can only get the disease if you in a big group, like over 10 people".  So I guess some folks are taking the Governer's order literally"

People do not listen nor understand what is being said. They have their heads in the_____  They need to return to school and relearn the definition of words and get away from "its all about me" attitude. 
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 480 Deckhand
    I have been looking at McRaes camera every once in a while. Not packed at the ramp, but fairly steady flow of folks. Did see one boat of six people--3 men and 3 women. Would be surprised if they were all in the same household as they all appeared to be middle aged adults.
    So we all stay at home for 30, 60, 90 days or whatever. Then do we go back to normal routine knowing the virus is still out there and no vaccine yet or drugs that work. Looks like it will start all over again. Some folks that were sick may have immunity but one heck of a lot of people will not.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,233 AG
    The real problem is people are going to put themselves in harms way until this thing hits home to each and every one of them.    Can you go to a boat ramp and launch/recover without coming into contact with people, you probably could 3 weeks ago, but Maximo in St Pete was closed this morning it's at capacity.   All the ramps are at capacity because it is literally the last thing available and all the people who normally go scalloping once a year are loading up and heading out on their boats.    So just assume that by Tuesday all the ramps will be closed. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Even though my boat is in dry storage at Pete’s Pier and I don’t need to get near anyone, I hear it’s a zoo over there. So I’m waiting, cleaning my rods reels and changing the trebles to singles for June. 
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,947 Captain
    I waited at Moore’s for 40 minutes just to get shrimp this morning. It was packed!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,142 AG
    so what if it's not gone by June?

what if it's not gone by december?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:

Exactly...
    ThANUMBER1 said:

Yep, I guess i'll be getting to the marina covered until I get on the water. Then I'll shed the coverings. Improvise. 
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 480 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1, As I understand it the virus will probably be around forever just like the flu. Total eradication is all but impossible anytime soon. Will have to depend on a vaccine and new drugs which are a long ways out on the time line. If we go back to "normal" routines after the say at home mandate is lifted I expect infections to start right back up.
    redeye76 said:
    ANUMBER1, As I understand it the virus will probably be around forever just like the flu. Total eradication is all but im possible anytime soon. Will have to depend on a vaccine and new drugs which are a long ways out on the time line. If we go back to "normal" routines after the say at home mandate is lifted I expect infections to start right back up.
    Hopefully by then; the CDC and Infectious Disease Org, will have a good idea on what meds will help to slow, lower, impede, stop the symptoms etc. 
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 229 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:

What if it is not gone by scallop season?

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,852 Captain
    HARRYD said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

What if it is not gone by scallop season?

One can only hope :)
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Swine flu, bird flu, are still with us. Individual behavior can protect individuals and their contacts. I think the only thing we can rely on is herd immunity until the hysteria blows over. Our elder population does need to be protected.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    Michiman said:
    Swine flu, bird flu, are still with us. Individual behavior can protect individuals and their contacts. I think the only thing we can rely on is herd immunity until the hysteria blows over. Our elder population does need to be protected.
    Yes , we need protection.lol  I'll be checking out soon enough , no need to hurry the process.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ocalaocala Posts: 189 Deckhand
    The problem with this virus is it's novel, meaning humans have never had it before.
    With something like this it's giant unknown. Little by little we are learning more about it but you can't make assumptions on something we only have a few months of data on.
    To put it in fishing terms imagine if you:
    never fished before
    never picked up a rod before
    never trailer-ed a boat before
    never drove a boat before
    And someone gave you all this stuff and said go catch fish in the gulf.
    Kind of a giant cluster if you know what I mean.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 316 Deckhand
    If everyone in America could wear masks and maybe gloves for a month we may get past this. Problem is there is not enough masks and they would probably need to be single use 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,530 Admiral
    If Frogs had Wings...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    If everyone in America could wear masks and maybe gloves for a month we may get past this. Problem is there is not enough masks and they would probably need to be single use 
    sun protection buffs/masks also gloves etc.
  • RayIRayI Posts: 17 Deckhand
    nick said:
    I waited at Moore’s for 40 minutes just to get shrimp this morning. It was packed!
    Hey Nick. That was weekend. I'm thinking about going tomorrow, Friday, has it been mobbed weekdays as well?
    RayI said:
    nick said:
    Hey Nick. That was weekend. I'm thinking about going tomorrow, Friday, has it been mobbed weekdays as well?
    I went out of fort island yesterday at 11am. Parking lot was 75% full. 

I’d say it’s a little busier than normal during the week but not much. Plenty out of town people going out who have zero idea where to go... 

Bowrider tried to follow me out salt....
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,530 Admiral
    We ALL started with not knowing where in the H... We're going.
    I ran the 10 K Islands for 30 years..Lord did I run aground..even 30 years later. It's a Maze down there..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,206 AG
    edited April 23 #25
    I've seen people wear gloves out in public touching their face with them on, fumbling with their phone etc.. I think some people actually think just wearing them will protect them. That's the scarry part.........
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes