Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

What is this bait fish called?

They aren't mud minnows. Actually easier to cast net as they tend to school and swim along sandy shores away from the oyster beds. But like mud minnows, they live a long time in the bait-well,. Caught a couple reds on them yesterday.

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    Think it's a type of killifish
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Thanks, Spanger. Good name...it sure killed this Red yesterday!
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,882 Captain
    edited April 2020 #4
    There are several varieties of killifish and mummichog in the SE US.
    Fishermen (especially flounder fishermen) commonly call these mud minnows.
    Google killifish or mummichog and you will see lots of images.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,778 Captain
    I've always called them Tiger minnows...not to be confused with the Tiger King :#
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,002 Captain
    9 line killifish.....that's what I was always told.

• elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 310 Deckhand
  • RealdealRealdeal Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Grew up calling them tiger minnows...they were always my favorite bait as a kid! They always seemed to work the better than any other bait! 
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Flounder candy.
    I use to walk the shoreline of Nassau Sound 30 or so years ago. I'd beach my skiff, get my cast net and net some Tiger minnows, they were always plentiful.  Man I use to catch some flounder....then I got a trolling motor and lures. I still catch'm but not like I did back then...it was so fun and relaxing. I'm going to have to give it a go again...it's been so many years since I've done it.
    edited April 2020 #11
    You should, Redaction! Really, sometimes I have as much fun catching bait as the actual fishing. I have a small 3 ft cast net that I can throw like a Frisbee. Just wading the sandy creeks at low tide, and hitting a school 20 ft away...that is fun stuff.I like beaching my skiff, too. Exploring the area.
    I know that creek you're at very well, caught bait there many times! There use to be a spot across the ICW a little be further towards the bridge that had dammed up with oyster shells during super high tides water along with bait would flow over the dammed up portion. It was about a 20'x30' pond that you couldn't see from the ICW. Help some of the fattest mud minnows you've every seen. 

Is that the you had built or rebuilt years ago? You posted the work on here.

My brother had a 3' net he called his "shotgun" net...he could catch bait like you say. I need to get one.
    I used to have a spot that funneled all the mud minnows to one spot at low tide. The oysters would be high and dry, and this little deep sandy pool would hold countless mud minnows...probably thousands.  One cast of the net would bring in hundreds. Would keep a few dozen and send the rest back. Changing currents filled in that spot. I built this boat a couple years back. She's been good. I can take her to the jetties or little creeks.
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 450 Deckhand
    Nice looking skiff. Did you build it?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,162 Admiral
    Mark O. said:
    You should, Redaction! Really, sometimes I have as much fun catching bait as the actual fishing. I have a small 3 ft cast net that I can throw like a Frisbee. Just wading the sandy creeks at low tide, and hitting a school 20 ft away...that is fun stuff.I like beaching my skiff, too. Exploring the area.Mark O. said:
    You should, Redaction! Really, sometimes I have as much fun catching bait as the actual fishing. I have a small 3 ft cast net that I can throw like a Frisbee. Just wading the sandy creeks at low tide, and hitting a school 20 ft away...that is fun stuff.I like beaching my skiff, too. Exploring the area.
    If only Louann and I had had such a nice boat way back when we were young! Way better ride than a 1961 Renkin that I cut down myself. We were POOR so used it for almost a dozen years......and though we were rich!
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,162 Admiral
    So I got sidetracked on Mark's boat.......

The bait. 

Something we noted with them over the years is that even when on a hook they stayed closer to the bottom than do small mullet. When using a fishfinder rig a mullet will rise up in the water as far as he can whereas the killies and the standard mud will still hug the bottom. Whether that results in more bites from flounder I can not say but I will admit that we'd use them FIRST!
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Growing up in the FL panhandle, we called them bull minnows. Anyone else heard that?

Great bait, but when freelined on a grass flat, they'll dig into the grass pretty bad. Great on a sand bottom for flounder as mentioned though