Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Bird Bath

gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,642 Captain

I'm fortunate to live high on a west facing ridge, so I get a good view outside while working on computer.  Bird feeder and bird bath are right in front of window for a ring side seat.  I keep the camera handy - things happen fast when they do happen......

Last year I filled the water dish by hand each day.  It got very tedious and the dish grew lots of green algae, so this year I hooked up a supply from the kitchen sink supply and ran it out there, set to just drip slowly.  It keeps the dish filled and there’s been no algae – so far.  (much later - the algae has re-appeared.  Oh Well)  I put a flat rock in that covers about 1/3 of the bottom so the little guys – Finches, etc., could splash around without drowning themselves.  It’s pretty popular.  

See the dripper in upper left corner ??

This morning the female Bullock's Oriole got in there, looked me over to see if I was going to be a problem, then........

.......she really went after it.  Water was flying everywhere.  I thought that was pretty neat and I was grinning some.

Hah ! ! !  Then she shifted into high gear and nearly emptied the dish - look at the difference in water level.  I’ve seen many birds take a bath in there, but none with so much gusto.

“Ahhh,” she says, “that feels goood ! ! !”  Can’t say she shirked her duties.  She's the 1st bird I've ever seen get right in there and get soaked like that.

Now for the beauty salon treatment and she didn’t shirk here, either.  She spent a very long time – 10 minutes or so – carefully grooming her feathers.

Then she really dug in.  Can you tell which end is up ??  Something must’ve been seriously tangled somewhere, eh ?? 

It's rare to see something like this, so gotta be ready to jump on the opportunity when it arises.                        Lars.

Replies

• redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 610 Officer
    Lars, these are great. How nice you were able to capture that. The rock is a good idea. What a beautiful view!
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • JWTJWT Posts: 788 Officer
    awesome shots  and narrative! not being able to get out to shoot is starting to get old, but you have a great built in scenario! 
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,375 AG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield