Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

New to Jax, what to target by month

I’ll be picking up my sportsman 227 masters in two weeks and am excited to get out on the water 

ill be launching out of the mayport boat ramp 99% of the time unless you all provide a good reason to launch somewhere else.

boat is set up with a 250 Yamaha, power pole and trolling motor, I know right now big drum are in the river and Spanish seem to be out n the jetties

in the summer tarpon on the beach and all sorts of things out on the jetties,

could y’all post up a few good starting points for places and species to target?  The normal trout, drum, flounder are always targets, but panfish like whiting are also welcome, I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old that will be with me most of the time,

also any good sandbars for the family would be welcome

Replies

• PangamanPangaman Posts: 909 Officer
    Fun thing for your kids is to let them catch some sharks behind the shrimp boats in the summer. Just drive up behind the shrimp boat and throw out a bait on a steel leader. Non stop action and tons of dolphins to look at. If you can’t catch any bait, just buy a couple of packs of ballyhoo or cigar minnows. Another thing to do is go to one of the artificial reefs, bait up a 4 ounce sinker with a 1/0 hook and use squid. Have the kids reel in grunts. Take the grunts and hook through the mouth with a 5/0 circle hook on wire. Throw behind the boat with no weight for barracuda. Hook a big section or half a barracuda on a 14/0 circle hook on 212 pound wire and pull up a big shark to the boat. Your kids will love it.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,752 Captain
    good tips from Pangaman but if your not comfortable slipping up behind a shrimp boat (although that is non stop action in the summer) you can always fish the Jetties to get used to the inlet, tides & currents, traffic on the weekends, where bait gathers, etc... trolling motor will shine there for sure... and your obviously watching the threads and that is a great way to keep up with what's biting that week... tarpon, kings, spanish, blues, whiting, Bull redfish, trout flounder, etc... all on the menu and more...  get your cast net out and get it ready... stay safe and have fun!
  • NeedsABoatNeedsABoat Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Any tips on the marsh creeks and icw?  Lots of water/oyster bars and flats but satellite imagery doesnt show how the 5’ tidal swing drains the marsh.  

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    Go at high tide, spend a day on the water looking around and fishing.  Nothing we will tell you will be better than what you will learn doing that 
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 449 Deckhand
    Jan-  Watch Football
    Feb_ motocross
    March-motocross
    April_Flounder
    May- Flounder
    June-Flounder
    July-Flounder
    August-Flounder
    Sept- Flounder
    Octo- Flounder
    Nov- Flounder
    Dec-Rest/Christmas
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    If you’re going to scout the marsh, I’d actually go at low tide. You won’t get stranded if you wait too long for the tide, all the obstructions (and structure that holds fish) will be visible, and the route you take in will be navigable during any tide.
  • rummya87rummya87 Posts: 24 Deckhand
    edited April 2020 #8
    x2 what Chris said.  There are redfish, trout, flounder and all kinds of other fish in every creek, flat, and oyster in NEFL.  The "secret" isn't the spot, its knowing when to be there - and that only comes with experience.  Honestly, even if someone tells you, its not going to do you much good until you start to see it and understand it on your own. I would start by looking for these things: Water temp over 68* F (this is not hard and fast, a lot of reds are caught in dead of winter in colder water and in fact the bite can be phenomenal in december, january and february, but right now, that or higher is the temp to be in), structure, and current flow.  Think like a fish, where is the path of least resistance? Where are the ambush points? Think about where your bait or lure is in the water column.  When you start to see the patterns, you will start catching fish.
    Capt. Rami Ashouri
    Saturiba Company
    https://www.northeastfloridafishing.com
  • NeedsABoatNeedsABoat Posts: 18 Deckhand
    thanks for the tips, I planned to go out on low tide to explore the creeks, harder to run up on a oyster bar at dead low tide.  I've fished quite a bit before just not in the NEFL salt marshes - the water is different then the Tampa grass flats.

I plan to explore the marsh off the ICW around the jim king boat ramp at low tide and the sector of clapboard creek across the river from the mayport boat ramp to see what the water looks like and find some of those oyster bars.