Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Goin’ Coastal? Or maybe not?

Scheduled to leave next Friday. Waiting on Franklin county to decide if SGI beaches will be open. I saw that beaches at the state park are closed. 
Not looking good...

Everybody stay healthy!

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
  • GANDERGANDER Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Thanks, Slough. Saw it yesterday evening (thru Tuesday?) then the update this morning (thru Friday). 
    Would’ve like to see the commission just put a 3 week closure on it and stop stringing us along. Really want to go but not starting a 1100 mile journey hoping for a decision in our favor. 

Tonight Apalach shut down tourist rooms starting Thursday. Making it clear they don’t want folks in town which I totally get. 

A letter to editor in their paper smelled of fear for what tourists may bring with them and animus toward them over the depletion of provisions. 

We pack >90% of our food and almost all beverages so have little grocery/supply impact. I just need a beach, a filet table and Dail’s shrimp. 

Unfortunately, Mr. Meatloaf, only having 2 outta those three is bad. My wife said she’d go just to sit by the pool in the Florida sunshine but knows what torture it would be for me to be across the street from the Gulf and not be able to fish!

As quickly as things are changing in each state, country, world, I can’t envision how different they might be by April 4th. Prudence being the better part of valor we’ll have to cancel this trip. 

We’ve fallen in love with that island over the past 11 years but sadly it looks like it’ll be a long distance love affair til next spring. 

Here’s hoping our landlord is a stand up guy!

I hope you and yours all stay safe and healthy and keep us posted on your trips to the Forgotten Coast. 

Gander
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,002 Moderator
    I believe that's a wise decision Gander. Hate to see your vacation messed but it's the right thing to do.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    Mr. Gander, it would be a very wise decision to postpone (just my thinking). We are all in new territory with this thing. Governments don't know what to do and are changing the rules (for lack of a better term) daily. The Ga Gov added another week to most of our restrictions and I imagine most others have/will also.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,343 Officer
    Just taking things day by day. Good luck with the doctor Ferris. I hope nothing comes of the quarantining. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,002 Moderator
    Thanks Swampdog. I think it'll be ok just a hassle during these trying times. Already interviewed one. Will see another tomorrow.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Gander I feel your pain for sure. Hopefully this ends shortly and all can get back to business as usual.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Now several days out from “The Decision” (Ha!) we definitely made the right call. 

Unfortunately the cancellation comes w increased risk back home. Wife and daughter are nurses and once they advised supervisors of cancellation they were asked to work this week. Daughter is a med/surg nurse whose floor was converted to handle CoVid suspect cases. Wife was oncology/infusion but has been farmed out to ER and med/surg. Other daughter a first year resident MD, next rotation ICU. Anxiety running high here!

Michigan has its own crisis w this disease and will soon be fighting a problem like FL has in the coming months as all those snowbirds want to migrate back north potentially bringing the virus with them to our rural summertime vacation spots. Could be a long summer up here!

Please say a prayer for ALL of our brave, selfless medical professionals on the front lines of this battle. 

Praise the Lord and pass the PPE!

Gander
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,535 Admiral
    GA is giving travel advisory to look for delays at the FL line.  FL SP is checking people from out of state  
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,481 Officer
    Gander we pray that your daughters and all the other front line medics stay safe. Their dedication to their professional duties is amazing.
    This whole crisis is going to get a lot worse before its over and people have to take some serious measures to ensure their survival.
    Cranfield you are so right! We can’t praise or thank our medical profession folks enough during this crisis. They have to keep themselves and their families safe from what they treat. The rest of our nation pretty much has to lay low and abide by the safety factors and yet we balk and whine at that. 
    Schools out—find out tomorrow if it’s for the rest of the year. I’m isolated where I live but concerned over what my wife may bring home. She was a “screener” at hospital yesterday and sent two suspected cases for swabbing. 

My daughter told me if I get it I’ll probably die because of my asthma as an “underlying condition”—in medical terms it’s a “co-morbidity”.

Not liking that word or her professional opinion at this point in time!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,641 AG
    Yeah, you don’t need it for sure. Stay clear
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    First time in my life I’ve been considered high risk simply for my age. Hate to admit, but I’m starting to worry a little bit. Mostly because my adult children are so protective of my wife and me...
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,267 Captain
    The only "coast" we'll see this Spring are the shores of the lakes in the park.

No, there aren't any Pompano there ...  drat!

Have had symptoms of "SGI withdrawal syndrome" for months.

Maybe in the Fall ... ?

Hang in there Nick. Better days and times ahead.
    I hear you Nick! 
    Saw an article yesterday that said gulf temps were +3 degrees on average so far this year. Pompano must be swarming around SGI! We ran out of our frozen pompano supply months ago and the 20# of shrimp we brought back is running dangerously low. 

Good news is that Lake Michigan temps are warming and the salmon fishing should be improving in the next few weeks. Distancing regs have closed charter fishing ops so the waters will be a bit less congested. 

School is out for remainder of year so once I figure out how to do this online education thing I can plan my days “off”. 

Not at all the educational experience I want to give my students but it’s the best available at this time. Worst thing is that we can’t do the class charter trip. Sad. 

Everybody stay safe and healthy!
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 179 Deckhand
    Stay well Gander.

The Mother Earth is given opportunity to breathe and recover as well.
    I sure got a lot of habitat work done here last week! Best to be ahead on that game as turkey season starts the 18th. 

Didn’t miss the drive though.  

Back to school this week. All online now. Confirmed already that it’s really not my thing. Much prefer a “conversation” with my students. Tough to type that way...quickly. 

Different situation but need to make it work for 8 weeks. We can reconvene in August if we stay safe now. 

Take care all!