Home General Fishing

Flood tides in the midst of pandemic...

hunterj8hunterj8 Fernandina beach, FloridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Hello everyone. Please bear with me as this is my first post on the Florida sportsman forum. And feel free to let me know if this post is not appropriate for this category...
My name is Hunter Smith and I am a fly fishing/light tackle guide here in the Jacksonville/Fernandina Beach area of Florida. As many of you may know, flood tides are perhaps the most exciting and sought after phenomenon our fishery has to offer. However, this phenomenon usually only occurs in higher water temperatures typically not seen until late April or May.
I was scouting around a few days ago with a fellow captain of mine, and right off the bat we noticed the water temperature was unseasonably high. That being said, Ive been paying close attention to the behavior of the fiddler crabs and baitfish in my area to try and determine if I can confidently book flood tide trips in the near future. It did not take me long to realize, flood season is coming sooner that it has ever came in my lifetime, and possibly ever.
Coincidentally, April 5th-10th are looking ideal for sight casting some tailing redfish, sheepshead, and black drum up in the grass.
In the midst of the Covid-19 epidemic, many folks are scared to travel (and for some reason a majority of fisherman have quit fishing!!).
I understand many boat ramps are closed and many charter captains are currently out of business. However, I have an East Cape Caimen with a dry launch trailer and am blessed to say I do not need a boat ramp to launch my boat and I am still open for business.
I am offering a discounted rate for the entirety of this pandemic of 350$, as I usually charge 400$ for flood tides.
I am also offering a discounted rate of 350$ for anyone wanting to fish for tarpon this summer as I am expecting it to be a stellar year considering the water temps I mentioned earlier.
Both of these trips average around 4 hours, but I often try to stay longer and get the most out of every tide.
Feel free to call, text or email me for additional information or bookings [email protected] (904)537-7889

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    4th warmest March on record.... things will be ahead of normal. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 300 Deckhand
    Water temps in SWFL are just shy of 80 degrees.  Tarpon are around now.  That doesn't mean it is easy to make them eat. LOL
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,411 Officer
    polliwog said:
    Water temps in SWFL are just shy of 80 degrees.  Tarpon are around now.  That doesn't mean it is easy to make them eat. LOL
    I got to dance with 1 on sunday down in the 10K islands. Hooked in about 2 feet of water on a outside point. Fish was in the 100lb class and hit a 3.5" paddle tail. Needless to say my wife had to start the boat up and chase it . Fought for about 30 mintues before she through the bait back too me. Lotta fun!! Gonna be a good year LOL

Jason :USA
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,597 Captain
    Hooked one in Steinhatchee 2 weeks ago in the 60lb class. Same scenario chased about 15 min before she broke the leader, trout rig ain't made for tarpon.