Home General Fishing

Goofy jig frustration

Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
I've been on the pomps heavy 2 days now. There is a crapload of shrimp up near ft peirce. I paddle up on them they start skipping I start throwing. First mistake I made more than once was having the drag set for snook in the mangroves, got taken a few times but ripped out, then lady fish so I know I'm doing some right. What is your guys fav retrieve on these? Slow n low, big pops, working surface? Does color, teaser no teaser, and weight matter alot? Thanks for any input, they are one of my fav fish and getting yanked like that has me FIENDING to figure this out now. 

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,686 Admiral
    extra large loop knot, so the teaser can float well

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,112 AG
    Pompano feed downward and look downward ...keep it on the bottom puffing the sand... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR said:
    Pompano feed downward and look downward ...keep it on the bottom puffing the sand... 
    Agreed.  Though as a funny story, I caught a 3 lb pompano (once) on a mirrodine.  Still not sure how.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    and I caught a nice one on a gold spoon 2 years ago

Late season pomps in the East central area are generally the biggest of the run....and I have caught some big ones on a white CAL....  but not the way to target them. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    kellercl said:
    Biiggg ole loop knot. I'm gonna be eating good tonight. 
    edited March 28 #8
    Go0gan said:
    kellercl said:
    Let us know how it works out.  Pompano is my favorite fish to eat.  Don't be surprised if you catch more pomps on the teaser than jig itself.  It isn't out of the ordinary for the jig to grab the attention of the pomp then notice the little teaser floating around (and nail it).  

-Walter Payton
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    kellercl said:
    Go0gan said:
    kellercl said:
    Let us know how it works out.  Pompano is my favorite fish to eat.  Don't be surprised if you catch more pomps on the teaser than jig itself.  It isn't out of the ordinary for the jig to grab the attention of the pomp then notice the little teaser floating around (and nail it).  
    That last post meant that the loop knot was the missing link. Two of them no lie cleared the bow on my kayak free willy style, I dropped the hook, casted way down current and basically as soon as it hit the water every cast that was it. Crazy how such a little change makes such a difference. But that's fishing!
    Go0gan said:
    kellercl said:
    Go0gan said:
    kellercl said:
    That last post meant that the loop knot was the missing link. Two of them no lie cleared the bow on my kayak free willy style, I dropped the hook, casted way down current and basically as soon as it hit the water every cast that was it. Crazy how such a little change makes such a difference. But that's fishing!
    Excellent news.  Well done.  And yes, there are little things that make a huge difference.  Lots of knowledge on the FS Forums, I've learned a lot in the few years I've been here.  

-Walter Payton
  • RexyRexy PSLPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Go0gan said:
    I've been on the pomps heavy 2 days now. There is a crapload of shrimp up near ft peirce. I paddle up on them they start skipping I start throwing. First mistake I made more than once was having the drag set for snook in the mangroves, got taken a few times but ripped out, then lady fish so I know I'm doing some right. What is your guys fav retrieve on these? Slow n low, big pops, working surface? Does color, teaser no teaser, and weight matter alot? Thanks for any input, they are one of my fav fish and getting yanked like that has me FIENDING to figure this out now. 

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,555 AG
    Caught a pomp one time at the sunglo pier fishing for spanish macs with a gotcha.    
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • RexyRexy PSLPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Hi there Go0gan,

You have touched on a subject that is near and dear to me..lol.

I'm new here but not to these waters. Goofy jigs are just about my favorite all around lures. I have caught EVERYTHING that swims here with them including snook reds and trout.

I am surgical with these things and keep a large supply of them handy at all times.

I tie up teasers for them and tie the hooks back to back with a loop knot.

The "secret" is to work them depending on the movement of the water, direction of cast, speed and the amount of play.

Some days they like just a little wiggle.. other times its an all out jerk fest (no not the kind you have when the weekend warriors see you catch a fish)..

I am **** good with them, they cast forever and I can cover a lot of water working a pattern.

I have never caught a pomp where i skipped them..  I prefer to just work a pattern over an area of water and when I get the bites.. keep working that spot and around it, pomps travel in schools, large ones at times.

As you said.. and as far as I am concerned they are the best eating fish in the waters here (tripletail score a close second).

I live in PSL and would be happy to school you on using these things.. they are deadly effective when you know how to work them.

• thestigthestig Fort myers Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I really suck at catching these fish. I’ve been in the right place at the right time. And watch the guy next to me catch pomp. Same jig and I jumped in his spot fished as close as I could to the same way he was nothing. Please school me...... I am going to Shrivel up from  starvation. 
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
       Thats how fishing is. 
    You are pretty well at the end of the best pompano fishing.... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,184 Officer
    I've caught every back country fish species on Goofy Jigs, or their substitutes. They are stone killers.