Home General Hunting

Tomorrow's the day

2»

Replies

• KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Definitely jealous. Had a Jake fly down around 730am 60yards away behind a bunch of brush. He went the other way about 10mins later. Public land. Closest I've been to a turkey in 4 years. I'll get him Tuesday. 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 807 Officer
    joekat46 said:
    Scouted both last Sat and this Thurs.  Birds made a lot of noise on the roost but little after flydown.  Pretty typical over the last few years.  Everything very dry.
    Good luck.
    Add - one tradition eliminated this season. No 4 am stop at Waffle House on the way to our opening day spot. Don't even know if WH is now even open during this crisis.  Probably not. No six foot distancing there.
    Depends what part of the state I guess. Ocala has few of them I still see open all the time.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,879 Captain
    Very nice bullfrog 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,879 Captain
    zimmy4209 said:
    joekat46 said:
    Scouted both last Sat and this Thurs.  Birds made a lot of noise on the roost but little after flydown.  Pretty typical over the last few years.  Everything very dry.
    Good luck.
    Add - one tradition eliminated this season. No 4 am stop at Waffle House on the way to our opening day spot. Don't even know if WH is now even open during this crisis.  Probably not. No six foot distancing there.
    Depends what part of the state I guess. Ocala has few of them I still see open all the time.
    Smothered covered and topped.
    When this is all over , I think I’ll celebrate.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,506 Captain
    edited March 23 #36
    Even though the Waffle House stop was missed we had a nice weekend taking one bird. Opening morning is always spent on a piece of private land that we can only access that one particular weekend.  Normally a slam dunk but this year we blanked although seeing two silent sneakers.  Gave up early and moved our set up to our usual property that had been in person scouted and on which we run five cameras almost year around. We thought we had a good idea where they roosted and their preferred travel route to a large pasture/strutting area.  We heard aggressive gobbling and yelping at dawn then nothing. This has been the pattern every time we pre-season scouted.  After an hour or so of  total silence we decided to push our luck and LarryMac cut aggressively on his slate call and I followed immediately with a few gobbles from an old Primos gobble shaker.  It worked.  We heard a few questioning yelps, no gobbles, then a hen appeared moving fairly quickly.  She was followed by a nice long beard also moving quickly. We guess they were in a hurry to find the other hens and gobbler they thought were in the pasture.  As they jogged by at 27 yards LarryMac made a nice shot with his Browning and that was that.  Big spurs, nice beard, about 18+pounds.  A scouting camera caught the action but the lens was still covered with morning dew and though they are very foggy I'll add them.  The look on the hen says "oh oh I just saw movement to my left".  The ghost gobbler is dead a second later.  Love those cameras.  This weekend was a nice diversion.  Hope we can get out again. Good luck to everyone.

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 755 Officer
    Way to go Joekat! Nice start!
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,506 Captain
    edited March 23 #38
    Thanks.  The "way to go" belongs to LarryMac. That was not an easy shot since few get shots at trotting birds.  If took a slight lead. Funny to see. I'm not sure if she was hurrying to get to the pasture or trying to get away from the gobbler.  I'm sure Larry will add a pic at some point.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 791 Officer
    Couple nice ones hit the dirt this weekend.  The one above I called in for my buddy's first bird.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,143 Captain
    Nice work boys. Some of you guys take it to another level.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 288 Deckhand
    We had 5 gobble on the roost Saturday morning.  We only had a couple hens come in though.  The gobblers are henned up in the mornings.  Saturday afternoon I went back out and my daughter wanted to stay in camp.  I was in the blind 10 minutes at 5 pm and had one fire off about 200 yards away.  I called and he answered.  Came to 80 yards and was looking for the hen and got spooked when he didnt see one.  About an hour later another fired off.  I called to him twice and shot him at 51 yards.  18.5 lbs, 10" beard, 1 5/16" spurs.  Sunday morning I watched who I thought was my neighbor walk through shining a light before daylight.  When I called him that afternoon he told me there wasnt supposed to be anyone on his place.  There were two hunters parked at his gate.  I cant believe people will armed tresspass like that.  I was also in High Springs...  good luck to everyone!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,589 Captain
    Congrats to everyone!  And continued good luck to everyone still hunting. 
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Cracker those spurs are lethal. Congrats to your buddy!
    Wow nice one! 51yard shot is impressive. Gotta get me some private property. This 2 and a half hour drive is insane. 
    Shooting the new TSS #9's...  None in the breast!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,589 Captain
    Congrats!  I like how you displayed the bird
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Yes - nice pic and a great bird!
    Thanks guys!  It was a fun weekend for sure.
  • shempshemp Posts: 587 Officer
    Congrats to all y'all...I had GSE opening weekend.  In early Saturday made the predawn newmoon walk with no light.  About 10 minutes till dawn two guys started heading my way, flashlights visible from a loooong way off.  Hoped they would stop 300+ yards shorter from me but nothing doing...had to signal with my light and they turned into the woods.  No morning gobble. 

Had a couple clucks moving around the cypress head I ended up in, had a doe grazing 5 yards away for 20 mintues till wind shifted.  Saw a few hens walking out. 

Sunday came in later.  One gobble in the tree so far I couldn't course him.  Made the move around 9 to a spot I've heard them gobble midmorning in other seasons.  Got set up waiting for things to calm down and one shocks at a woodpecker about 200 yards out across the burn and in the woods.  He gobbled a ton just didn't answer me well.  I ended up slipping into 80 yards in the next hammock.  Was waiting for him to gobble 1 more time to move to the trail head between hammocks, I hear some light brush wrustling.  Get gun up, 15 minutes later see black moving through the palmettos...then a 7' gator comes walking through the hardwoods, right towards me.  I finally had to whistle and step aside.  Never had a gator spook one before but he must have popped out of a creek right by where the gobbler was.  Heard 1 more shock gobble when I was OTW out.  Saw a ton of gators, gophers, hens that afternoon plus an otter running through the woods.  No idea how many birds got checked out but I heard 3 shots all weekend. 
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    Nice job coach Mac.

Some great birds taken and enjoyed all the stories and pics. 

I opted for opening weekend in Georgia since I had no quota hunt.  No luck Saturday.  I was set up close to one on the roost Sunday morning and I waited until he flew down to call to him.  He shut up when he hit the ground and I never got eyes on him.  
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
    Question. Im seeing a ton if hens.i saw a jake opening morning but he was too far and took off the other way. 2 hens that same day and yesterday i saw 6 hens. All coming from the same spot.

Should i sit closer to where i see them, or patterb theyre coming from and sit thereor try and pattern where theyre going to and sit there?

Not a single gobble.