Home General Hunting

Tomorrow's the day

KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 63 Deckhand
Tomorrow morning, 3am I wake up to make my 2 1/2hour drive to my wma.. **** southwest doesn't have much. 

I've done countless hours of scouting and studying throughout this month and am hoping to bag my first Osceola. I've hunted in the past, but not as serious as I am trying now.

Good luck to all and let me know if you bag any! 

Replies

• Grove1Grove1 Posts: 67 Deckhand
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,146 Captain
    I'm limited out already but I'm still trying to get my son his first. He came within a trigger pull last week at 15 yds but got busted trying to get himself twisted to his offhand side. **** bird snuck in silently from behind us and scared the he11 out of us when he gobbled 20 yds from us behind the brush. Cool encounter for sure and his third very close call taking one. 

Good luck.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 460 Deckhand
    edited March 20 #4
    I'll be out with my hunting buddy tomorrow as well. Hope to put it together this season as I've learned a lot over the past year.

Curious how things are going to play out now that all check stations are closed and there is no requirement for a daily quota nor checking game. Will the attendant still come out and open the locked gate the morning of or will the gates be unlocked today in advance?

Should be interesting and hopefully not a complete free-for-all sh|t show.

Good luck out there folks
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 475 Deckhand
    good luck     i will be out by the fbi area      hope gate is open trace ponds.  secret code used so keep hunter numbers down.    
  • KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 63 Deckhand
    No check station attendants?? That's absurd to me honestly during turkey. Hopefully everyone plays by the rules. 

Will they have the permits such as small game where you pick it up yourself and fill out? 
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 791 Officer
    Good luck everyone! 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 460 Deckhand
    If the offices are closed and check stations closed, I don't expect FWC field officers to be driving around checking folks either. Still play by the rules yall.

https://myfwc.com/recreation/notices/

"On all WMAs that operate check stations, the FWC is temporarily suspending regulations requiring hunters to check in at a check station upon entering, check out upon leaving the area, check all game harvested, and obtain check station issued permits or zone tags, except for Camp Blanding WMA and Econfina Creek - Fitzhugh Carter Tract. Currently, wildlife management areas (WMAs) remain open to the public and users are urged to engage in social distancing."

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 288 Deckhand
    Will be social distancing with my daughter out in the palmettos!  Cant wait to hear them gobble!  Good luck to everyone and stay safe!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,880 Captain
    I’ll be out with one of my little buddies again.
    Get some time in NOW boys and girls. Maybe all you get.
    Hope not, and good luck!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,599 Captain
    Good luck!  I'm going for my first osceola.. eh hem, turkey,  too!
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,603 Captain
    Good luck! Been hunting 2 weeks and been pretty quiet in the woods Ive been in.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,506 Captain
    edited March 21 #13
    Scouted both last Sat and this Thurs.  Birds made a lot of noise on the roost but little after flydown.  Pretty typical over the last few years.  Everything very dry.
    Good luck.
    Add - one tradition eliminated this season. No 4 am stop at Waffle House on the way to our opening day spot. Don't even know if WH is now even open during this crisis.  Probably not. No six foot distancing there.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 773 Officer
    The Waffle House is shut down? Now that’s scary.
    Smother capped has browns sounds delicious this early. Hour left if my 2 and a half hour trip..... Lol post photos if anyone gets one gl
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,000 Captain
    I got 2 strutters henned up about 100 yards from me. Biggest springtime harem I’ve seen in recent years. In my locality they’re starting late. Yes 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,515 Admiral
    My Pard just put one down behind my house 10 minutes ago.
    I'm drinking coffee and he's getting dinner..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    No dice for me. The harem came up to my decoys but the gobblers wouldn’t. Not looking for a fight this early with abundant hens. Passed in front of me at 100 yards. Fine rifle shot but not what I want to take with the airgun. They’ll be back this evening. 
    I need to retire and buy that lot next to you...
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 760 Officer
    I’ll split it with you Mac...Just think, the videos we shoot with our neighbor, would make a great pilot for a “Reality” show. Winning with TRT ;)
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,659 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    Proof positive can’t escape development, increased density and shift in immediate landscape view, feel and function
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    edited March 21 #22
    FloridaOD said:
    Big Mak said:
    Proof positive can’t escape development, increased density and shift in immediate landscape view, feel and function
    I know OD, but it would be real nice to cash in and live out another few years somewhere in FL where I can recreate the way I prefer...  I know you've said you want to come down and tromp the levys of the Broward/Palm Beach county line of your youth, and even though it's relatively remote to this day, I believe the tears from your eyes would be more from disappointment than nostalgia. Having grown up in a wonderful little fishing town called Pompano during the 70s, I couldn't imagine living in that hell anymore. 

I too am not a fan of unlimited development but I truly have little to no hope to change it in my lifetime so I predict I'll have to leap frog ahead of it, not unlike our own illustrious TRT. At this point it's more of a futuristic dream than immediate reality, but one day I'll find my nirvana. I just hope I'm still able to enjoy it...  

PS. Development is already beginning to push me out of my current liebensraum. Darn gated communities are popping up all over me worse than pimples on a teenagers face... You never know when Tomorrow's the Day...
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,145 Officer
    Great day! This is what it’s all about.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 760 Officer
    I like it! Way to go with your son!
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,445 Officer
    Looks like a good bird frog, congrats!... what was the projectile used ?
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,859 Captain
    The airgun got it done this morning.

Congrats. 
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,145 Officer
    Congratulations Bullfrog!
    Public or private? Congrats! 
    edited March 22 #31
    Private. My homestead. 

Projectile was a 28 grain pellet. Brand H&N, make Barracuda Hunter Extreme. Even though it made a clean kill I was not pleased with it. I found the pellet in the bird’s skin far side with no expansion. It has a wicked looking hollowpoint that has expanded well when I’ve tested it in clay and water. Speed would have been about 1020fps. It isn’t a super accurate pellet, the only reason to use it is for the expansion. I suppose a turkey is too thin skinned to give it enough resistance. Which means a flimsier pellet out to do me well next time. I want something that will go “poof” inside the turkey. A Predator Polymag is probably what I want. 

I’m editing the video now.