Home General Fishing

How do you do it?

ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
edited March 18 in General Fishing #1
I normally fish for the sport of it and when I do keep fish I normally eat them that day or the next day. So my question is with all the craziness going on with this Virus thought it might be a good idea to maybe catch a few Flounder, trout, red, sheepshead or Whitings And freeze some. Just wondering the best ways to go about doing this so they don‘t go bad or taste bad? So any info or methods Are appreciated.
My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!

Replies

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 26 #2
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 164 Deckhand
    I only eat salt water fish. I fillet, remove all blood line, and try your best to not use any water during fillet. Vacuum seal the fillet. I use paper towel to absorb any blood/juice prior to vacuum seal. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited March 18 #4
    DrCoke said:
    I only eat salt water fish. I fillet, remove all blood line, and try your best to not use any water during fillet. Vacuum seal the fillet. I use paper towel to absorb any blood/juice prior to vacuum seal. 
    This is exactly the way to do it 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,443 Officer
    And too add, generally trout do not keep well.
    Jason :USA
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    Frozen fish is nasty.  But in hard times..
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I’ll add to thaw slowly ( takes at least a day) in the fridge, not on the counter or in water
    You should have been here yesterday
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 399 Deckhand
    spangler said:

Sure, it's not as good as fresh but if frozen properly it's far from nasty.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,680 Captain
    If you vacuum seal fish they will stay pretty good for up to 6 months.  I've eaten grouper filets that were a year old and they were still OK.  Nothing tastes as good as fresh fish, but if you keep oxygen away from them and store them in a deep freeze rather than a self-defrosting freezer, they will be fine for up to a year. 

Oily fish like mackerel do not freeze well at all.  And soft fish like trout don't hold up very well either.  But lean fish like grouper, sheepshead, seabass, grunts, and snapper hold up pretty good. 

Using a deep freeze is important as is thawing the fillets out slowly.  Slow freezing, self-defrosting freezers, and fast thawing will cause the fish to taste dry after cooking.  This has to do with the kind of ice crystals that form and puncture the cell membranes.  You will see that upon thawing, liquid is extruded from the fish.  This can be minimized by rapid freezing and slow thawing. 

Also, don't rinse the fillets in freshwater before freezing them.  Rinse them after they are thawed.  Freshwater will cause larger ice crystals to form which will cause the fish to dry out more when they are thawed.  You can rinse fillets in seawater or a saline solution before freezing without a problem. 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,233 Officer
    I agree. I don't rinse filets or steaks, but blot them with paper towels and immediately vacuum seal them. Keep fresh water away from the flesh. My only exception is a brine solution in the fridge overnight if I am going to smoke them, but that's something else.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited March 19 #11
    I agree with the above.

Clean, pat dry, vacuum seal, then right in the freezer.

Of the fish the OP noted, flounder and sheepshead are about the only ones I'd keep/freeze.  Trout tastes great when fresh but freezes terribly, and I'm not really fond of frozen redfish either.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,251 Admiral
    spangler said:
    Depending on species,  never clean saltwater fish with fresh water, freeze with no air in contact,
    PS most sushi is made from frozen product

• Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    You can suck the air out of a ziplock freezer bag with a straw for a poor man's vacuum seal.
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
    This is what I  do. 
    *Catch the fish rip the gills to blead. 
    *place in the chill kill. Gut them out if staying out for over 12 hours. (Chill kill is Saltwater and ice mixture.)
    *place on ice. Ice both sides. 
    *fillet fish. Remove skin. Blood line, and bones. 
    *place back on ice until all are done. 
    *wash the fillets in clean salt water. (If not available fill a container with some fresh water preferably with no chlorine and a lot of kosher salt, or sea salt. I mean a lot you want the water a white color.)
    *place on towels to dry. Pat dry. 
    *vacuum seal. Date package. Freeze immediately. Only place enough for 1 meal in each package. 
     (If a vacuum sealer is not available. Take a large container with enough cold water in it to submerge the bag do not let water in the bag. Seal bag. This force's the air out.)
    *thaw slowly in the refrigerator. 

White fish like snapper may last up to 3 months. Oily fish will not last as long. 

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    Thanks fellas for the tips and ideas
    My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 399 Deckhand
    You can suck the air out of a ziplock freezer bag with a straw for a poor man's vacuum seal.

Or force the air out by submerging the bag in water and then sealing.