Home Sportsman's Kitchen

I am tired of eating fish. I need recipe suggestions.

demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 361 Deckhand
 With the hysteria over covid-19 and the supermarket shelves cleared. The crew and i decided we would go the the Floridian grocery store and get some meat. After the smoke cleared we had a good haul of black belly rose fish the only problem is i have eaten fish for 30 plus years and am tired of it. I need some recipe suggestions. Sides and all please. 

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 558 Officer
    Tired of fish? I am tired of beef. Trade?
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,437 Admiral
    Rosies are a difficult fish to come up with for different recipes as IMO they are bland. I am not a great fan of them  but do like them in ceviche and fish tacos with the wet (beer) batter coating. Google the Rick Bayless Ensenada fish taco recipe for a guideline.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 361 Deckhand
     Never had them in ceviche. I was just saying tonight that one of my favorites ways to cook them is fried. I will try it in a taco.  
     Tonight I did them with a garlic cream sauce, spinach stuffed ravioli, and a salad. 
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    edited March 19 #5
    I have not found a fish this is  bad with yet. One fillet fried, bacon fried crispy, tomatoe,  lettuce, mayo,( acceptable condiment, horseradish, hot sause, mustard and  Two over easy eggs, all on a sub roll. Suggest you break the yoke when you close the bun. 
    When it come to fish nuggets coconut changes the flavor quite a bit add a little to the batter or roll the nugget in some after and fry. Now there is also, This mix fish, eggs, hushpuppy mix and old bay seasoning to make fish balls, and deep fry.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain

How to Cook Deep Fried Fish Thai Style

This recipe uses whole fish, fried till crispy and covered with sweet, sour & spicy sauce from sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and chilies. The crunchiness of the fish with the sauce is just amazing.

Thanks for the ideas guy's. They are all ways that I have not done before. The fishpuppies sound great as an appetizer. 

Tonight I a doing some fried rosie tacos with corn salsa, and cilantro lime rice. 
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 465 Deckhand
    might try making fish balls. just use a fish patty recipe and roll into balls, then fry or bake. i play with the filler in these by using bread crumbs, rice or potato. also try a vera cruz recipe for a change.also, we will use stove top stuffing for bed with a filet of sauteed flounder laid on top and a roux drizzled over it.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 465 Deckhand
    might try making fish balls. just use a fish patty recipe and roll into balls, then fry or bake. i play with the filler in these by using bread crumbs, rice or potato. also try a vera cruz recipe for a change.also, we will use stove top stuffing for bed with a filet of sauteed flounder laid on top and a roux drizzled over it.

here's a pic of a redfish vera cruz i did Sunday. i put shrimp over the fish filets. the pic is before i covered it in Pico and cooed over a mesquite fire.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited March 19 #10
    I made some fish burgers one time with freezer burned fish. Turned out great. Just mixed chunked fish with smoked paprika, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onions, egg and some bread crumbs.
    Oooo.. that looks like a good one for the big family fish dinner, or the I'm feeling lazy just fished for 18 hours straight and am going to do it  again tomorrow dinner. 
    There was a fish pie or casserole that was fish shrimp and what ever mixed with stove top stuffing the cheddar cheese on top. I don't remember the whole recipe. 
    edited March 20 #13
    I use to make gator sausage basically old bay gator and peppers mixed ground together. That strated the fish ball originally was with gator.  I did sometime put the gator balls in a red hot chilly pepper batter and deep fry that might be good with fish to. The gator ended up tasting like crab cakes.