Home General Fishing

Warming Gulf Waters

BwhntrBwhntr Posts: 53 Deckhand
I haven't been able to get down for a couple years now for a charter trip. Are good charter captains still able to have the success they had a few years ago before water temp changes or is it tougher fishing.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    You are going to have to be more specific friend. Where in the state, what type of fishing?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,034 Captain
    Water temps change season to season - nothing new about that... At this moment we're almost warm enough in the 'glades for the big tarpon to start showing up again.  To put it mildly the "global warming", err "climate change" folks have been really shovelling it about the weather.  The fishing is not one bit different than it's been since I got my first job on a boat back in 1973....

Yes, we've always got challenges from year to year and season to season... Yes, red tides along the Gulf coast from Tampa south to Marco Island badly hurt that fishery... Every day I'm very glad that the red tide never made it past Marco Island to the parts of the Everglades that I guide in --the Ten Thousand Islands all the way over to Flamingo... 

For a sample of what my anglers are finding just go to the south florida board on this site and look at the fishing report I posted yesterday....

Anyone wanting a brochure... just send an email request to [email protected] and you'll get a brochure with color photos by return mail...

Be a hero... Take a kid fishing....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BwhntrBwhntr Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I was thinking about Grouper, Amberjack and Snapper bottom fishing 20-40 miles off Sarasota area.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,034 Captain
    Can’t help you there since for years now I’ve been an inshore guide.  All of my offshore years were on the Atlantic side of things...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    The water temps at the depth that you plan on fishing are constant.