Home Off Topic

Jury Duty

bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
edited March 11 in Off Topic #1
Just finished 2 looong days. Child molestation case. Unbelievably, difficult, uncomfortable and exhausting. 

I am very proud of our system of justice, despite its faults,  and am very proud to be part of it. The Alachua county court house folks are awesome and so were the state attorneys.

The group of jurors I was with for two days now feel like close family. Everyone was informed, caring, and took their responsibilities very seriously.  It was an honor to be part of this group of strangers that rallied under difficult circumstances and performed their civic duty in a professional and praiseworthy manner.

I would encourage everyone called for jury duty to embrace their civic duty and participate in the process. 

Replies

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,010 AG
    Guilty.
    Warning Level 2
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I got selected for duty and supposed to be there the 23rd.  If it's not corona, it will be something else that robs me of turkey season. 
    If I show up in pj's with tinfoil on my head, will it get me out of it?
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,162 Captain
    bicyclist said:
    Just finished 2 looong days. Child molestation case. Unbelievably, difficult, uncomfortable and exhausting. 

I am very proud of our system of justice, despite its faults,  and am very proud to be part of it. The Alachua county court house folks are awesome and so were the state attorneys.

The group of jurors I was with for two days now feel like close family. Everyone was informed, caring, and took their responsibilities very seriously.  It was an honor to be part of this group of strangers that rallied under difficult circumstances and performed their civic duty in a professional and praiseworthy manner.

I would encourage everyone called for jury duty to embrace their civic duty and participate in the process. 

I never understood why people try to avoid jury duty.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    bicyclist said:

Ummm.... Turkey Season
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,162 Captain
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    bicyclist said:

It can be a burden for some. Monetarily wise. My company pays me for jury duty.
    spangler said:
    I got selected for duty and supposed to be there the 23rd.  If it's not corona, it will be something else that robs me of turkey season. 
    What number are you? High no. You likely will not have to serve. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,297 Admiral
    bicyclist said:
    bicyclist said:

It can be a burden for some. Monetarily wise. My company pays me for jury duty.
    Mine does too. I was on a murder case that lasted 16 days got paid for the whole time.  Plus $25 a day from the state 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,578 Admiral
    spangler said:

Actually, just the opposite. You will be picked and probably nominated as foreman.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,166 Captain
    research jury nullification

not for child molestation cases tho, they should get the chair
    research jury nullification

not for child molestation cases tho, they should get the chair
    Interesting.  Pretty rare. Can't imagine many cases where 6 to 14 people would come to this conclusion without resulting in a hung  jury.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,443 AG
    bicyclist said:
    Guilty on three counts. Repeat offender going away for a long time.
    Not my idea of justice for this crime.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    bicyclist said:
    Guilty on three counts. Repeat offender going away for a long time.
    Not my idea of justice for this crime.

Are you thinking treatment or death penalty? He is a repeat offender and has an illness that is near impossible to treat. Maybe chemical castration? The jury has no say in sentencing.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,443 AG
    Repeat child molester=death penalty
    PERIOD
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Bobbit

― Ernest Hemingway

Then at least the sick SOB won’t be able to jack off

― Ernest Hemingway

There was a PhD psychologist that specialized in child molesters, worked in prisons and taught in gville., on the jury. Amazing she got through voir dire.  She broke down in the jury room after the trial. She said almost all molesters were molested, never get appropriate help and the children victims do not get the help they need as well. She said it was a loss for all involved. Eye opening.
    I’ve never understood the psychology behind that if you were molested as a child it would seem that you would be so against molesters as an adult.

― Ernest Hemingway

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 26 #22
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Repeat child molester=death penalty
    PERIOD
    First offense= death penalty ..f that repeat offender junk
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    Done it 2 times.
    Any chance you got Colaw?
    Very good judge. 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD said:
    Done it 2 times.
    Any chance you got Colaw?
    Very good judge. 
    Yes... was very impressed. And his bailiff William's was very good as well. Enjoyed the lunches too

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    My wife and I are in our sixties and have been to jury duty many times oh, but have never even been selected to go to see if we are chosen. It's just go in there sit for hours and then go home. I would actually enjoy being on a trial but I haven't made it that far yet LOL. Like I said I've never even been interviewed.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,628 AG
    Been called but never been picked. Attorneys don't want me on a jury for some reason. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    Was contacted one time. Wrote back my only transportation was a bicycle. I never did hear from them. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    I was selected on a attempted murder case. The perp shot a convenience store clerk (not you Cad) and fortunately the person lived. After three days of listening to all of the experts, the defendant cut a deal and pleaded guilty and we never made it to deliberations.
     I was also down to the wire on a civil case where a bicycle rider wasn't paying attention and rode his bike into a parked lawn service truck and died. Never got picked on the final jury though. The lawn service truck was parked  on the swale but it also covered  a designated bicycle lane. I actually followed up on the case out of curiosity and found out that the jury awarded the family of the bicycle rider $3 million. They were asking for 6 but they thought both parties were negligent and split it.

― Ernest Hemingway

• TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I never been selected every time they give me the boot.  I answerer truthfully ?