Home Boating

2004 Yamaha 200 2 stroke tilt trim leaking

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,738 AG
the starboard side ram is leaking at the seal.    It just started, i check them every time i put the wedge on the motor while trailering.   I plan to order new O rings and seals today and I have to buy the spanner wrench to get them off, anyone have experience with these they would like to share?   I saw several videos and one thing i did not see on my motor was the pressure release for the hydraulics on my system.  They were on the motors in the videos but i must have missed the hole when i glanced at it before putting the boat back in storage.    Maybe the place i get the parts from will rent me the spanner wrench and save me 45 bucks but i kind of doubt it. 
You can't pet a dead dog back to life 

Replies

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,974 Captain
    I went thru this with my old suzuki.  I ended up paying a mobile guy in the Melbourne area to do it.  He was very reasonable priced, if you are nearby..

I watched the guy do it, and he tried the spanner tool first, but then got a large screwdriver and hammer and basically chislled the old top-cap off.    I ordered the seals, and it came with the top caps (or maybe it was one piece, i cannot remember)
    He replaced the 2 smaller piston seals/caps on either side of the larger-long piston in the middle.  He said that the larger one required a lot more work to do it, and warned that on older outboards it was better to just continually re-fill the oil versus trying to make that repair.

*all that said, i let the boat sit for 3 years, and the oil needed to be replaced.  I found out that it was much more difficult to add the oil into the reservoir once it was basically bare dry.  I ended up having to hit the trim button while it sucked in oil via a small hose.      This is advise if you let it run bone dry
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,738 AG
    not bone dry, i opened the reservoir to check and fluid came out so it was basically still full. and the fluid was clear not cloudy so no water thank god.  I just ordered the stupid spanner wrench ($70).    I'm going to stop by tonight where it is stored and spray Blaster on both caps and then do it again tomorrow night.   I figure if i do that 3 -4 nights in a row by the time Friday/Saturday comes around it should be ok to loosen with a pipe wrench/breaker bar.   I dont' want to have to chisel the things off and buy new ones.   One thing i read that i'm going to do is put my Yamaha wedge over the spanner wrench and ease the motor on to it so it snugs up tight and keeps the wrench from coming off and damaging the push rod or the cap.   people were using PVC but i'll try the wedge and see how it does. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,106 Officer
    I just did this on a 2009 Yamaha 115, SHOWA unit trim/ tilt. I purchased the spanner and the ring , seal, and dust cap. The spanner works like a champ with an extension for leverage. I’m no master mechanic and I would say it’s no more difficult than changing the oil in your car. Only problem I had was paying 80 bucks for 6 pieces of rubber, Yamaha is sure proud of their stuff. Good luck 
    Tony Roma said:
    I just did this on a 2009 Yamaha 115, SHOWA unit trim/ tilt. I purchased the spanner and the ring , seal, and dust cap. The spanner works like a champ with an extension for leverage. I’m no master mechanic and I would say it’s no more difficult than changing the oil in your car. Only problem I had was paying 80 bucks for 6 pieces of rubber, Yamaha is sure proud of their stuff. Good luck 
    Thanks, last night i hit the caps with PB blaster, going to hit em again tonight, by the time i get around to changing them this weekend, hopefully they are easy to get off.   My biggest concern right now is bleeding the system properly. 
    The little tubes of hydraulic trim fluid suck, I buy a quart of the hydraulic fluid and use the same pump I have to do the lower unit fluid, makes it much easier to fill without wasting half on the ground. Just slide a 4 inch piece of aquarium tubing into the large pump tube and it fits perfect with minimal waste. 
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 355 Deckhand
    Five Star Marine in Port Richie sells seal kits and the spanner wrench. Since my 1997 Honda TnT unit had sat for 7 years before I rescued the boat all the seals were leaking. The Hydraulic fluid mixture in it was also crummy looking and looked like multiple fluids mixed together??. I ended up removing the whole TnT unit and had Five Star hot tank clean, polish the rams and seal surfaces and rebuild the whole unit except the motor. It was not cheap but it should be good to go for years. 
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #8
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,626 Captain
    Its not a bad job as stated but it is messy. Did mine last year!
    Jason :USA
  • AltonAlton St AugustinePosts: 117 Deckhand
    Pressure release should be on the starboard side of the trim mount.  It is tucked inside and hard to see.Larger flat head screwdriver will break it loose if it's not froze up like mine. I had to take main tilt cylinder loose from motor and hold it up with the lock
    Alton said:
    Pressure release should be on the starboard side of the trim mount.  It is tucked inside and hard to see.Larger flat head screwdriver will break it loose if it's not froze up like mine. I had to take main tilt cylinder loose from motor and hold it up with the lock
    Mine is actually on the port side looking back from the back of the boat.   It's an oddball i believe.    But i see it and i have a screwdriver 
    That's normally my luck. I have stuff go wrong noone has ever heard of or have the oddball products. Mine is a 1997 as well that could be the reason. 

Going to mess with it tomorrow but it fits
    Just curious does it fit the seastar caps on the steering aswell?
    Alton said:
    Just curious does it fit the seastar caps on the steering aswell?
    I didn't check but it'd be a lot cooler if it did!  
    Yes it would......

Mission accomplished.  We changed the lower unit gear oil as well with yamaha gear oil. 
    Nice, just saved yourself at least 200$ and you know your boat more than before. 
    It did destroy a ratchet i had my jack handle on using it as a breaker bar so had to go get the one in the picture from tractor supply for 9 bucks