Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gulf 20 reef fish aggregate

Still trying to  understand which fish our within the 20 fish reef aggregate. Spoke to FWC and he was more confused that me, but he told me he mostly worked hunting areas. Are your grouper, snapper separate and the beeliners count towards the 20 aggregate?

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,301 AG
    Just looking at it as I fish the Atlantic. It can be sort of confusing.
     I  think the Beeliners count in the 20 total reef fish aggregate max as well as Lanes but you can only have of 10 Beeliners. What I think is that the Beeliners and Lanes don't count in the 10 Snapper maximum. So you can have 4 Muttons, 6 Mangroves, and 10 Beeliners. At least that is how I read it but I could be wrong.

http://gulfcouncil.org/fishing-regulations/federal/

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• matt6007matt6007 Posts: 8 Deckhand
    The FWC guy told me that grouper counted in the 20 aggregate which didn't make sense because the grouper was not on the 20 aggregate list. I think i need to take a lawyer with me.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,301 AG

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,740 Captain
    Everything on that list counts toward the 20 reef fish aggregate limit.  Of course, individual species within that list often have lower limits, but they all count toward the 20 reef fish total limit per day.
    Thanks  for the information
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,085 Officer

They're slowly trying to eliminate offshore recreational fishing by making it too confusing and not worth it.

I'm glad I got my trips in back in the good old days.

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,740 Captain
    That's the way I look at it, too. I'm not going to keep up the offshore stuff for much longer.  It's not really worth it. But I remember back in the day when if you found rocks, you could fill up the cooler.  Those days are long gone. Too many people, too many boats, and not enough fish.  The fish don't have a chance anymore.  Just about every rock in the Gulf is on somebody's list of numbers.  And with LIDAR mapping becoming more common, pretty soon the location of every rock will be available to everybody. 

The Gulf fisheries management plan is pretty upfront about trying to get sport fishermen to switch over to catch and release.  That makes sense for inshore fisheries.  But not when you're running offshore and blowing a couple of hundred dollars on gas and bait.  But some guys like Saltydawg44 are happy with catch and release.  Maybe everybody will get used to it. 

If I can't keep it, I won't fish for it.

Never gonna be a catch and release guy, unless it's something I incidentally catch that's closed, or something that I don't want to eat.

There's nothing "sporting" about C n R reef fishing. GMAFB.

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Maybe just keep what you’re going to cook in the next 3 days, the rest, release for another day.  

Not when you're burning 100s of dollars in fuel. I'm going to put some in the freezer. If you don't want to, then don't.

This will effectively end private Middle Grounds trips for most people, absolutely not worth it to spend that kind of money and come back with such a limited haul.

Again, I'm glad I got my trips in during the good old days.

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,579 Moderator
    I don't know , 40 fillets  , even on average size fish is a lot. Add a few 10 - 20lb (or more) fish in that mix and it adds up.

Not condoning the limits just an observation.

"You'll get your weather"

Even in the MGs 10 -20lb (or more) reef fish are not all that common.

Not sure how many times you've been out there, but most of your snappers will be less than 5lbs.

Plus having to keep track of all that is a complete PITA.

I'm not buying this "shortage of fish" BS, yea the red tide did a number but things seem to be improving well.

Tankards, if you or someone is going out to the MG on a continual basis, how much fish can you possibly eat? I’m not saying don’t stock up, many dump the uneaten frozen fish at the end of the year. I see this even with friends who buy and then dump regular groceries. BTW we all burn fuel going out even to the 60’ mark. 
    My goal is just to have fun, but still want to put a few in the freezer while being legal. I have made a few runs to the middle  grounds in my old boat and had a blast. Just bought a Hydra sports 2800 and would like to make a middle ground trip once a month. 
    matt6007 said:
    My goal is just to have fun, but still want to put a few in the freezer while being legal. I have made a few runs to the middle  grounds in my old boat and had a blast. Just bought a Hydra sports 2800 and would like to make a middle ground trip once a month. 
    Exactly, goal is to have fun. My 22' Robalo dual console w/100 gal tank, is too small to try and go to the MG so I play around closer mostly max at 30' and trying new areas etc. 

Tankards, if you or someone is going out to the MG on a continual basis, how much fish can you possibly eat? I’m not saying don’t stock up, many dump the uneaten frozen fish at the end of the year. I see this even with friends who buy and then dump regular groceries. BTW we all burn fuel going out even to the 60’ mark. 

Most don't go out there on a "continual basis" that's a once or maybe twice a year thing. I, for one, have never thrown away frozen fish. Hell I ate some 3 year old grouper not too long ago. It was fine.

And I can eat fish every day if I have it. Go ahead and willingly accept more arbitrary restrictions if that's how you roll.

But don't be surprised when they regulate us out of the game.

"Once a month" says matt6007.

Lol. Yeah go out there in winter...

I may not get out over the winter due to not finding  a decent weather window, but everyone  has to set goals.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,579 Moderator
    tankered said:

Even in the MGs 10 -20lb (or more) reef fish are not all that common.

Not sure how many times you've been out there, but most of your snappers will be less than 5lbs.

Plus having to keep track of all that is a complete PITA.

I'm not buying this "shortage of fish" BS, yea the red tide did a number but things seem to be improving well.

Some of the red snapper will be and grouper are going to average 5 to 10. Adds up , I only go a few times a year.
    "You'll get your weather"

Red snapper are open for a month or so. Do you really count on that?

Like I said, another arbitrary rule with no basis in science.

Slowly but surely, recreational reef fishing is being eliminated.

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,300 Officer

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!