Home Egret Boats

Self-bailing hull on Moccasins (or lack thereof)

gulfcoastgulfcoast Posts: 9 Greenhorn
I really like many things about the Egrets including their self-bailing hulls and would someday love to have one built; but I have noticed some of the Moccasins on Egret's Facebook page do not have scuppers on the side where the deck typically drains. Is this because the back deck does not extend as far forward on the Moccasin which means the scuppers have to be too far aft to give it sufficient clearance above the waterline?

Or is it just draining out the stern like some other boats do?

I currently have an Action Craft 1760 that is "self-bailing", but that feature really only works when the boat has no passengers. Most of the time the plugs stay in the side scuppers. Even on the Action Craft it is still a great option to have so that it will drain the rain water while sitting in a lift (or after taking water over the bow in a pass....).

Replies

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    Mine is self-bailing though I'm sure seas will cover the scuppers at times but I've never had water come in on the deck. The cockpit floor is higher than my scuppers. They have plastic one-way flaps that I believe help with this when they go under the waterline.

My Moccasin's scuppers drain to the port and starboard side just forward and a bit below the "Moccasin 210" sticker. You can see where they are in relation to the waterline. The drains are located in the left and right rear corner of the cockpit floor where it meets the rear deck. It works well with 3-4 people, two full live-wells, gear, etc.

From looking at pics of Moccasins built later in 2015, it appears that they were moved from where they are on my boat to more aft and higher, right under the rear corners. I don't know how that would work unless it was pumped so someone with a boat bought within the 6-8 months or so may be able to chime in on that. I bought mine in Feb 2015.

Frank makes changes every now and then but I never had an issue with draining or water coming thru the scupper. I imagine without the plastic one-way covers you could get some backflow with where they are on my boat but it's never been a problem and I take mine offshore with full a tank of fuel, full coolers, full live-wells, etc.
  • gulfcoastgulfcoast Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    TXWahoo - Thanks for the info. I actually have several pictures of your boat saved on my computer to use as an example of what layout I want when I (hopefully) build my Moccasin. My primary use for the boat will be entertaining my kids at the beach, scalloping, and shallow water lobstering which means we will be climbing into the boat from the water constantly. The Egret swim platform/boarding ladder you chose looks perfect for my use (and looks good too), but I always wondered if the platform drug in the water when getting on a plane or when you're riding at slower speeds. Have you been happy with the fiberglass Egret "swim platform"? Thanks.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    gulfcoast wrote: »
    TXWahoo - Thanks for the info. I actually have several pictures of your boat saved on my computer to use as an example of what layout I want when I (hopefully) build my Moccasin. My primary use for the boat will be entertaining my kids at the beach, scalloping, and shallow water lobstering which means we will be climbing into the boat from the water constantly. The Egret swim platform/boarding ladder you chose looks perfect for my use (and looks good too), but I always wondered if the platform drug in the water when getting on a plane or when you're riding at slower speeds. Have you been happy with the fiberglass Egret "swim platform"? Thanks.

The platform does not drag that I can tell. The port trim tab is directly underneath it about a foot or so. I believe that would prevent it from dragging just due to displacing the water underneath the platform. However, there have been a few occasions when I would get some slap underneath it while trying to fish with the stern to a slight chop. It's not often but it has happened.

The boat is very stable, not tippy at all. I'm 200lbs and can walk across atop the gunnels without tipping the boat. It's easy to get into the boat using the ladder. The swim platform is secured very well and is solid, about 6-8 thru bolts I believe. The actual ladder is standard surplus and works but if you are boarding with flippers on I would recommend a different ladder. It can be done but it would be better with a wider step with fins on your feet. Preferably a ladder without side rails. I actually wanted the ladder that Blackjack boats was using on their bayboat but ended up going with the platform and ladder that Egret uses.

If you're taking your fins off in the water prior to boarding then it's a non-issue.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    I really like many things about the Egrets including their self-bailing hulls and would someday love to have one built; but I have noticed some of the Moccasins on Egret's Facebook page do not have scuppers on the side where the deck typically drains. Is this because the back deck does not extend as far forward on the Moccasin which means the scuppers have to be too far aft to give it sufficient clearance above the waterline?

I currently have an Action Craft 1760 that is "self-bailing", but that feature really only works when the boat has no passengers. Most of the time the plugs stay in the side scuppers. Even on the Action Craft it is still a great option to have so that it will drain the rain water while sitting in a lift (or after taking water over the bow in a pass....).

Some of the first Moccasins all bailed out the sides like the two photos above. Currently they were switched to bail out the stern.It still drains from the cockpit the same way just exits differently.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Some of the first Moccasins all bailed out the sides like the two photos above. Currently they were switched to bail out the stern.It still drains from the cockpit the same way just exits differently.

Phil I think what you're saying is" It's the same thing but different":grin

There's nothing better than being able to wash down your deck of any blood, grass, sand on a trurly self bailing hull.
    That's what I'm saying! :shrug
    Thanks FlatsBoy. That's good to hear. I was worried when I saw some Moccasins did not have the side scuppers that there were issues with the design. I don't think I could own a boat that wasn't self-bailing since I keep my boat on a lift (and tend to take waves over the bow). My Action Craft has the side scuppers, but the connection is a sold brass tube which has moved over the years as the hull and the liner vibrate which requires me to replace the scupper tube occasionally to prevent leaks.
    That won't happen with the Egret or Moccasin. Plus you won't half to worry about taking them over the bow. Unless it's a pretty big wave or driver error. It's extremely hard to stuff the bow. But if it happens it will drain quick if you do.
  • storecreditstorecredit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I have a 6 month old 190 Moccasin.. It has beautiful stainless scuppers that allow water in the cockpit to flow right out the transom. My last boat was a 1620 action craft and the water going into the bilge drove me nuts. The scupper system has 1 inch hose, Fishing line and all the crap that gets washed to the back of the boat comes out so easy with this large diameter hose and scupper... Nothing gets stuck.

Ive had the boat in the water for a week in the keys. After all the rain, spray and cleaning not a drop goes in the bilge. Whey you put the boat on the trailer not a drop comes out when the plug is removed. LOVE the boat.
    Same issue here with my Action Craft - if I take out the scupper plugs while there are any passengers, the water comes directly into the boat and down into the bilge. It turns the boat into a moving water fountain. As long as I don't forget to move the plugs from the scuppers back into the holes leading to the bilge when it is in the lift - then all is fine. The small scupper holes also clog easily. Glad to hear the reports that the scuppers work so well on the Moccasins.

This is were they exit now on the transom. Straight shot from the cockpit out the back.

12928437_10201442723188118_8741900645567775197_n_zps8fjhal45.jpg

12910772_10201454302917604_505432998_n_zpseh8ypezv.jpg
  • stricklcstricklc Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Does anyone know what brand those deck drains are....

strick