Home General Fishing

Knot Thread: Best knot for braid?

2»

Replies

• Fisherman12Fisherman12 Posts: 645 Officer
    OceansBlue wrote: »
    Does anyone tie a double line with braid? or just attach the braid to the leader with a double uni? I always use a double line with a bimini twist, and attach the leader with a bristol knot.

This.
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    So did some research into the GT knot, that is easy to tie and it seems to hold, I put my 210 pounds against it and it didn't break, 50 pound JB braid and 80 pound leader, both were on spools, I took the spool and put it on the outside of the railing on my porch and pull against the leader with my legs locked against the railing. Every other knot that I have tried has failed that way after two mins of pulling the GT didn't....not saying its the end all knot but it will be the knot that I try from here on out. I read one suggestion to put a drop of super glue on the two half hicks before cutting the tag ends and it makes it even stronger.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    If you know the palomar and are confident with it, then go for it! It's a good strong know that's also pretty small. For most light tackle applications I prefer uni-knot but that's cause I've practiced it so many times I can tie it in the dark! Though I've been switching to the palomar more and more especially since I've been bottom fishing more and more from the kayak in the Gulf.
  • gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 128 Deckhand
    After reading these I'm curious.... i use a swivel to attach my braid to leader and let the swivel keep my beads and weight above the leader.  Of course this is for bait fishing...is this wrong?!?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,594 Captain
    I only use Yeti knots and rigs.  They are the best.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,363 Captain

Usually I tell folks the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark, but after reading this thread I'm going to choose my words more carefully. This thread contains some of the absolute worst rigging advice I've ever read. I seriously hope I've simply missed a punchline somewhere and you guys aren't actually fishing with these garbage knots.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,664 Captain
    And what might they be? Some of them are kinda shaky, but there’s a bunch of good knots suggested. The FG isn’t on here, but the thread is from 2011, and pretty much no one had heard of it, then. 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 651 Officer
    I guess I didnt realize the fg knot hasn't been around very long.  I've heard from few people that said the knot came apart once they started fishing but only thing I can think of is they did it wrong from the get go. Takes a little time at first but I've found zero issues with it. If I can tie it anyone can learn it  
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 411 Deckhand
    edited February 18 #41
    M4Real said:
    For instance if I want to rig a jig head on 20lb. test. I'm thinking a Palomar Knot might work. What are you guys using?

Any suggestions on other knots for certain types of rigs would be appreciated.

On the Braid do a Spider Hitch before your leader:

Then do a UNI to UNI to your leader:

Then to your lure/hook a canoe loop man knot:

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,363 Captain
    zimmy4209 said:
    I guess I didnt realize the fg knot hasn't been around very long.  I've heard from few people that said the knot came apart once they started fishing but only thing I can think of is they did it wrong from the get go. Takes a little time at first but I've found zero issues with it. If I can tie it anyone can learn it  
    I've found the PR to be a better knot for what I do. Slimmer, faster, stronger. If I'm using lighter gear, or if I don't have a bobbin handy, I'll use a surgeons loop to an improved bristol.    The FG is strong and durable, if your friend had issues the knot probably isn't to blame.