Home General Fishing

Has Anyone Seen This Type Of Net?

Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
At 16:26 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_54vOAcfY

Pretty ingenious for a really big fish off a bridge or pier... or a cliff as in this case.

And yes, you know you've been watching too many fishing videos when YouTube starts recommending Japanese videos and you can't understand a word they're sayjng... but you watch anyway lol!

Replies

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 637 Officer
    edited March 27 #2
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,594 Captain
    Thirty years ago we made them from bike rims also, now they are too economical to not jut buy from the store.

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,346 Officer
    edited February 18 #4
    All you need to make a telescoping net like the one in the video is to attach a normal landing net to a aluminum telescoping pool pole. i have done this with a 16 ft telescoping pool pole many years ago. i did it for a particular place i once fished in a canal near my house that sometimes had a large swath of grass so thick it was almost impossible to slide a large fish over the grass to the bank. The bank was also fairly high above the water at times after the flood control dam was opened.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    All you need to make a telescoping net like the one in the video is to attach a normal landing net to a aluminum telescoping pool pole. i have done this with a 16 ft telescoping pool pole many years ago. i did it for a particular place i once fished in a canal near my house that sometimes had a large swath of grass so thick it was almost impossible to slide a large fish over the grass to the bank. The bank was also fairly high above the water at times after the flood control dam was opened.
    Not the telescoping net, the one they use at the 16:26 mark in the video. It slips over the rod, down the line, and over the fish.

And bump past the spam!
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,346 Officer
    edited February 26 #6
    I would say the net they used over the rod was converted from a small crab net. Crab nets have two rings. The top ring is larger then the bottom ring on a crab net. . I would say they cut out some of the netting inside the bottom ring to make it easier to slide over the rod guides. Very ingenious. Probably home made.
    Giimoozaabi
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 153 Deckhand
    Now, That is some hairy chested fishing, son.  I get a charge out of the Japanese way of commenting and the way they go "hohoho" under stress.  Really dramatic....even if you can't understand what they're saying.  The net is cool, too, but seemed very awkward.

On a vacation trip in 2003 I saw a lady catch a fish off the pier at the south end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel.  There was a mad scramble for the tangled up net, but her kids got it cleared and retrieved her fish.  It was quite a scene :smiley:  Their net was very basic and effective.........

1st - and only - fish like this that I've seen.  Sheepshead ??
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 14,213 AG
    Yes, that's a sheepshead.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,855 Admiral
    A nice one too.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 606 Officer
    edited February 26 #10
    I used to catch blue crabs at night off the gulf pier's with a net like that