Home Fly Fishing

What have you been tying (pt. 2)

1323334353638»

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    I’ve always thought that a Clouser was more a style of tying than a specific pattern.  When I was tying for shops we did them for bonefish, peacocks, and others... Each done up for either a specific species - or specific situations... but all of them with the wing on one side of the hook and the eyes on the other.

I’ve done thousands of clousers on hooks as small as a #6 and as big as a 4/0...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 709 Officer
    Captain Lemay, have you ever tried that fly in root beer with a little gold flash. Reason I ask, is I catch fair amount of smaller Tarpon on root beer bend backs. I tie a body of silver mylar cord, root beer Buck tail, with a little gold flash mixed in the buck tail, with dark green wing and flash on top of Buck tail. I tear up the Snook, and get some Tarpon, Trout, and if let sink Reds back up tannin stained creeks, around fallen trees. 
  • Banded WoodieBanded Woodie Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Nuclear Chicken Gurgler to borrow a popular color combination for the waters I fish.  Looks crazy to me but the locals swear by these colors.  Will also have this fly in white, chartreuse and other combos but this one looks cool to me. 
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 67 Deckhand
    Banded Woodie, made this gurgler last night. I do it in the Nuclear Chicken color too. Not sure what fish think that color combo is but they sure do like it. It does great on Juvi poons and snook around Stuart. 
    Do the legs on your foul alot? I'd think they would but they probably look awesome fluttering in the water on each pop of the fly.
    CWFlies said:
    Banded Woodie, made this gurgler last night. I do it in the Nuclear Chicken color too. Not sure what fish think that color combo is but they sure do like it. It does great on Juvi poons and snook around Stuart. 
    Do the legs on your foul alot? I'd think they would but they probably look awesome fluttering in the water on each pop of the fly.
    Haven’t had much trouble with the legs fouling unless I get really aggressive with my presentation or retrieve.  In those cases I have been known to pull them out. :) Love your shrimp variation and will have to try some like that. 
    #8 because I was told size doesn't matter. 
    For Super D... I guess I've tied clousers in every color possible - from black on up... Here's a few very different clousers that I've had some success with... The first two were ordered by the same shop for peacock bass...
    Natural wing, size #4

synthetic wing - same size, I've done hundreds of these - they sold quite well...

Next are what I always called bonefish clousers in size #4 and #6 - note the outrigger style weedguards...

We did these in brown / white, pink / white, fl. yellow / white, and fl. green / white  - the weeguard is 15lb Ande for a #4, and 12lb Ande for a #6...  Caught a bunch of bonefish on these - everywhere years ago...

This photo shows the size comparison between the #6 and the #4... Note that the wing is a bit shorter and sparser in the smaller version (and the lead eyes are different sizes... 

Part of an order ready to go - #4's and #6's...

As I said, I've always considered clousers to be a style of tying as opposed to a single pattern.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Kinda hate it when you order stuff online and the dye colors come out different. Olive body doesn't match the claws but I guess I can live with it if the fish don't care 
    CWFlies said:
    Kinda hate it when you order stuff online and the dye colors come out different. Olive body doesn't match the claws but I guess I can live with it if the fish don't care 
    Love the pattern and how cleanly the pattern is tied but I agree with you that those colors are barely in the same family.  Fish probably wont' care but I hate it when it doesn't look the way you intended.
    Strong arm merkin but subbing the chenille claw for a rabbit claw. Need to make the claw shorter and maybe add more color and thread joint to it but I think it should work. 

Bonefishpermit sampler
    16bonefish specials (#6,#4), 12 Flexos(#4,#8), 5 gotchas, 6 Bitters, 6 Kung fu crabs, 6 avalon crabs, and 6 redfish critters. 

CWFlies said:
    Bonefishpermit sampler
    16bonefish specials (#6,#4), 12 Flexos(#4,#8), 5 gotchas, 6 Bitters, 6 Kung fu crabs, 6 avalon crabs, and 6 redfish critters. 

If this the sampler I want to see the main course!  Beautiful box and tying.  Love seeing well put together boxes like this!

The main course was going to be a full boat box covering bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook and redfish. Using those clear MFC boxes. I think it would look sick. If i could draw i'd do like the Ole FL fly shop's J Martinez cliff boxes but my drawing skills end with stick figures. 

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 805 Officer
    edited March 27 #1125
    no offense intended.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 548 Officer

Nothing fancy ...

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Those two bugs will catch all day long - until they get shredded... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 548 Officer

Thanks, Bob.
    Are you saying as a professional tyer ... Is there something I can due to reduce the shredding?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Don’t put them in the water...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666