Home General Fishing

EATING SALTWATER CATFISH

2»

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,144 AG
    Life is to short to eat crappy fish.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,238 Officer
    Sailcats are surprisingly good. Hardheads? Even minorities throw them back.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,594 Captain
    Crappie is good eating!

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Geno67Geno67 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Have eaten both. Not bad at all. I suspect the way one views the fish they eat has a lot more influence on the way it tastes than the actual flavor or texture of the fish.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,801 AG
    kellercl said:
    Crappie is good eating!
    WTH is a crappie?   You mean a speck? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Crappie is a freshwater pinfish.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Umm crappie is a freshwater panfish and very tasty.  Beautiful firm white filets, but they don't yield a lot of meat.  Fried fresh black crappie (speckled perch) rivals fried flounder IMHO...and that's sayin' something.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,355 Captain
    Umm crappie is a freshwater panfish and very tasty.  Beautiful firm white filets, but they don't yield a lot of meat.  Fried fresh black crappie (speckled perch) rivals fried flounder IMHO...and that's sayin' something.
    He knows what a Crappie is, he was saying it should be called a speckled perch( regional thing )
    You should have been here yesterday
    He knows what a Crappie is, he was saying it should be called a speckled perch( regional thing )
    That makes more sense.  When he said 'speck' my mind went to speckled trout.  

-Walter Payton
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,355 Captain
    kellercl said:
    I’m not sure where a spec becomes a crappie. My great uncle from Macon called them Crappie, but my buddies from Central Florida call them specs. I’m from Alabama and never heard them called a spec till I met the central Florida crowd at UF
    You should have been here yesterday
    kellercl said:
    I’m not sure where a spec becomes a crappie. My great uncle from Macon called them Crappie, but my buddies from Central Florida call them specs. I’m from Alabama and never heard them called a spec till I met the central Florida crowd at UF
    Sounds like a Florida thing to me.  I've lived in Ohio, north carolina and Tennessee and crappie is the only name I've heard. 

-Walter Payton
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    You say the word speck in Louisiana they think trout. They call specks sockalae. No such thing as crappie

In Florida specks are specks and speckled trout are trout. Most people I hear call trout specks also call specks crappie, so theres that.

We dont have anything crappie except what's coming out of lake okeechobee 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 14,180 AG
    There are very few fish that don't taste good fried or blackened.

Personally, if I'm having to fry or blacken a fish to eat it, I'm eating the wrong fish.
  • Codeman3Codeman3 North Port / VenicePosts: 1 Greenhorn
    I’m the only one I know that loves catching cats on ultralight tackle. They put up a good fight, cut the tail off for tarpon bait and let the head sit in the sun for a couple days and use in a crab trap. As for eating, I’ve had enough cat slime on my hands that my stomach gets queasy just thinking about it. 

I have eaten it deep fried and grilled blackened without knowing it was catfish and it was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    I've always had a "two catfish" rule on my skiff (in the backcountry of the Everglades most days...).  The rule is very simple - catch two cats at any spot and it's time to move....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • flagoldflagold AlabamaPosts: 320 Deckhand
    We used to eat all that stuff back in the day.  From 1965-72 on Hwy. 50 (550 now) there was (still is - a biker hangout now) the Bayport Inn run by an old German, Zigi Mueller and it would be absolutely packed with the WWI & WWII generation for "fish night."  The fish?  Mullet (fried - all you can eat).  What Zigi did was have his crew cut out any of the red line, so there was simply white meat for the fillet (no gut cavity, no backbone, just meat).  Then they rinsed it in fresh water and fried it (batter fried).  Actually - a superior fish when done that way.
    Rebuild Grandpa's Zebco: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
    Quality Zebco 33 Buying Guide: https://youtu.be/Tg917tVFrM8
    Basic Fishing Reel Maintenance: https://youtu.be/HTv4p8SP0dA
    Bomb Holes, Wrecks, Reefs How To ID & GPS: https://youtu.be/b5ljdWyLR5I
    Fish Attractor That Works: https://youtu.be/ushkhZUxUWg 
    Big Fish Small Boat: https://youtu.be/i32IgXKWZuA
    Big sheepshead With Dock Snails: https://youtu.be/gqE0az7WqH4

• GabiJohnsonGabiJohnson FloridaPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    The gaftopsails are very tasty. For their size, they do not have a whole lot of meat on them, and can be difficult to fillet because the slime is quite messy
  • MayaWilsonMayaWilson RichlandPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Hardhead salt cats are disgusting.
  • JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    I have eaten sailcats. Like the above poster said, they sure are slimy! I prefer Mahi Mahi. I have heard that regular salt water cats taste pretty bad but I have never tried them.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Gafftops are definitely definitely the best if u like catfish
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 604 Officer
    Tried sailcats like freshwater cats better
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,196 Captain
    I’m not sure I could ever bring myself to clean and eat one so I’ll just take your word for it if they taste good.
    I've had them, meh.  Pass here.

-Walter Payton