Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crappie question

I know a bunch of you have done this, Sea Snake, Cast n Blast........Are any of the lakes west of here any good and are they in the pads yet.  I heard on the radio show black creek is good. I just dont know where to start.  Wife and i took the kayaks to "Swift Creek Pond" north of lake butler and the water was like chocolate milk.

Replies

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    They are definitely in lakes west of here, as well as some of the many lakes around G'ville area, like Sante Fe, Lochloosa, Orange, as well as the mid sections of the St Johns.....black creek , six mile creek used to be good, probably still is....all the way down to Rodman.

Right now is the time to go....we just came off a full moon, so they should be all in the pads....I fish mostly Lochloosa when I can go, and the water isn't really sparkly clean, so don't let fairly dirty water spook ya, if they are there, they'll bite.

Go get em....and ask the bait shops what's the best baits to use, sometimes they want jigs other times they want simply a minnow....I like a 1/16th jig with a chartreuse curly tail with a minnow added, under a small float....they should be in 4 to 6 feet right now, but the baits shop will tell ya, they want you to catch em up, and spread the word.

Good luck ..........oh yeah, take a landing net, those big ones will shake off, they have paper thin mouths, I use a long handle crab net !!
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    I've had my best luck at Lake Sampson drifting minnows in the middle of the lake towards the north end. The problem with Sampson is the water level. Last time I went I wasn't able launch because of how low it was. Lochloosa pads are great when its on, which it should be right now. I am heading to Newnans on Friday with guanagator after hearing some decent reports coming from there. If its good,I'll be heading back on Saturday. Love this time of the year! 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Gary is the go to guy for fishing info in North Central Florida. He owns the Tackle Box.

It’s here. The heralded “Full Moon of February” that longtime area anglers regard as the most likely point in time for certain important happenings to occur on our freshwater fishing scene. Most especially, this is the surest time for our freshwater favorites — bass and speckled perch — to make the season’s initial move into shallow brushy or weedy spawning cover.

The most active spawning time doesn’t need to happen right at the full moon, proper…… it might happen anytime within a week or so, before of after. If last weekend had been less windy and chilly, we would probably have heard more good fish-catching stories from then. But very good reports …mostly of speckled perch catches … came in through this week as luna grew. The best tales came from Orange, Lochloosa, and Newnan’s Lakes, where minnows and jigs dropped in shallow and sometimes-tight spots produced nice numbers of good-sized specks.

While staying for a while in a Twin Lakes Fish Camp cabin, John Jamieson of Fremont, Michigan tried the Lochloosa and Orange specks for two days. Without any previous knowledge of the lakes, the visitor fished weedy cover with minnows and found spots good enough to leave with 76 crappie fillets.

Agreed! I've been reading Gary's reports for years. He also archives all of them so you can go back thru the years. I've learned a ton from his website. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    tHANKS FOR THAT..........can't have enough intel   !!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,000 Captain
    We went to Lake Santa Fe today, and got skunked on specs. We just can't catch a break on the wind.

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,882 Captain
    edited February 2020 #8
    I suggest you check out Lake Disston, it's east of Lake George.
    Was one of my dad's favorite for speck fishing.
    It's off the beaten path and not as easy as some places to get to.
    I think maybe only one public launch on lake.
    But lots of specks caught from that lake over the years.
    I can't vouch for recently, but ask around about it.

We went to Lake Santa Fe today, and got skunked on specs. We just can't catch a break on the wind.
    guana gator and I got skunked at Newnans on Friday. I did loose a really nice one boat side but that was it. I spoke with a few people who fished the crappie masters even on Lake Monroe on Saturday and it seemed like most of them struggled as well. **** cold front that moved thru must have shut the bite off.