Home General Fishing

Problem with My Loomis/Power Pro setup

2»

Replies

• PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    I gotta call BS on winding the leader through the eyes of the rod. I use about 5 to 6 ft. of fluorocarbon and wind it through the eyes of my rod before every cast and never get knots. Like it said before, some reels just don't handle braid as well as other reels.
    Iam in total agreement. I keep At least 3ft of 30pd fluro on 10pd PowerPro. Also, keep your spool full. To the hilt. When I cast, I have leader to my spool. Most times. However I dont think the problem is with his kick **** reel.
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    Although they say that power pro and most braided lines have no memory, I always spool mine so that the line is wrapping around the spool the same way it was wound at the factory on the PP plastic spool. I think it's more of a habit from back in the mono days.. Just a thought..
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
    Take one day with you loomis rod shorten your leader,and don't reel into your guides. Post results
    POST. no fish. Why? A 6inch leader?
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    Popeye wrote: »

Nice try. :troll

Just because you don't know anything about casting a 2'-3' leader with out rolling your knot up through your guides does not mean it doesn't exist.Actually it works quite well for spinning gear.
    Surf fisherman do it all of the time up and down the east coast.Cobia fisherman do it all of the time off the piers in the panhandle.Plenty of guys do it on the flats around here.It only takes a little bit of common sense to figure out its not a real good idea to throw that knot through the guides of your $300 rod when you don't have to.
    :hail
    johnD wrote: »

Just because you don't know anything about casting a 2'-3' leader with out rolling your knot up through your guides does not mean it doesn't exist.Actually it works quite well for spinning gear.
    Surf fisherman do it all of the time up and down the east coast.Cobia fisherman do it all of the time off the piers in the panhandle.Plenty of guys do it on the flats around here.It only takes a little bit of common sense to figure out its not a real good idea to throw that knot through the guides of your $300 rod when you don't have to.
    Now Popeye has a pink wig. ThANKS. I will hold YOUR advice as FACT. FOR YOU ARE THE ONE THAT HAS BEEN SEARCHED. NOW YOUR HERE>:Spittingcoffee

Read my posts on this thread.:troll What cant read?:backpeddling
    GT, I dig the new emotions. Thanks, It came in real handy. By the way ,Do I get a prize for the first use? Or should I consider it more **** wipe?
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    you need to put the pipe down down bro....
    you need to put the pipe down down bro....
    You need to stop thinking your the BOSS. Lighten up. This is a Forum. Help folks, Share Ideas, Make freinds. Not a Know it all thing. I have fun. And I share. Dont be a stindgey *****. This aint a contest. Have fun. We aint gonna agree on everything, thats what its about my freind. Have fun, take jabs, give jabs. Lets make this work. BTW I aint smoked in 10yrs bro. But I love to fish, boat, Lie. Lets drop the crap. OK? BTW, Popeye aint got pink hair!
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    I usually leave about 3 feet of line out to cast any way, but my leaders are a bit longer. However, I can usually get a pretty nice small knot that does not seem to get hung up too often, atleast I dont feel it going out like you do on the bigger knots.
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 936 Officer
    Popeye wrote: »

What's your deal with the 6" leader? I can fish a 2-3ft leader all day long, catch fish, without reeling a knot into my guides, and all my fishing buddies can as well. In the past I have dealt with the EXACT problem the OP has described. It only happened to me when these things happened...uni/uni knot, 15lb braid/30lb leader, casting the knot through the tip guide, and only happened on one of my rod/reel combo's. The combo that was giving me an issue was a stradic ci4/mhx sj842. I would never purposely reel the knot in, but when I would the issues happen.
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    thanks for the advice!
  • MayaWilsonMayaWilson RichlandPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    What model reel do you have on that rod ?
  • JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    I always have done that...

It kind of seems to me like if you get even a little slack in the line while you are casting, or sometimes if you dont really shoot the line out, the line kind of gets around the eyes because the loop created as it leaves the spool..

It seems if it were line twist, I would have this problem with all of my stuff, and I dont have that problem with other stuff. Just this setup.