Home General Paddle Craft

Anyone else gone back and got the one that got away?

JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 200 Deckhand
This has worked out for me more than once. It obviously fails to produce more often that it works out, but worth a shot.

My YouTube channel: JakeW YakAngler

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,246 Admiral
    Good job JW, what are some tips you can give me on fishing down in that area. I am going to make another trip to ENP with my nephew in a few months. Any advice will help with catching fish.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 200 Deckhand
    Sounds like you will be here in the hot season. I do best from Everglades City/Choko in the late fall-winter-early spring since big fish move inside close to where I launch. Once it heats up and the fish move outside it is challenging to get to the outside spots early enough via kayak. I have to launch really early when it is still dark, and have every inch of skin covered on account of the noseeums. Snook stack up in the passes that time of year though, and that's probably what you will be after since you get plenty of reds and trout up there on the panhandle.
    We will be on his 22' Pathfinder, and I believe he said where we launched was considered outside. That was the only few places he knew in there. They were recommended to him by the guy he got the boat from. Yes Snook is on the agenda, I hope. We did manage a few snook, and a decent Trout. Missed a Red, and lost a few snook, and a monster Tarpon. What lures do you prefer there? The last time we went the water was as dirty as looking into a cup of coffee with cream in it, so the bite was off. We got checked by Mr Ranger sir, and he said it had been exceptionally windy for two solid weeks and made it nasty dirty. He also said very few people were catching anything due to how dirty it was.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Topwater early(bone superspook), DOA jerk shad 5.5 inch on a 5/0 owner twistlock weedless hook(pearl or new penny) for skipping under mangroves later. A bucktail tipped with a gulp swimming mullet or shrimp is popular there as well.
    Thanks for the tips.

JW, what size leader do you prefer for Snook?

Sorry for late reply I use 25 to 30 lb floro on the flats. The main mistake people make when visiting south florida to fish inshore is trying to use the 10-15 leader they catch trout and reds on elsewhere. Even a small snook will wear through it with his sandpaper lips if he doesn't cut it with gill plates first. When I target the really big girls with flairhawk jigs under the bridges at night I use 40 lb leader and braid on a 5000 reel and heavy rod. It sounds ridiculous, and I use to scoff at the guys on piers and bridges with their big gear, but I soon learned that bridges and piers are not the flats. You need to get them in quick because they will wrap you around a piling real quick if you don't have heavy gear.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,878 Captain
    Nice Work!  Congratulations!
    Sorry for late reply I use 25 to 30 lb floro on the flats. The main mistake people make when visiting south florida to fish inshore is trying to use the 10-15 leader they catch trout and reds on elsewhere. Even a small snook will wear through it with his sandpaper lips if he doesn't cut it with gill plates first. When I target the really big girls with flairhawk jigs under the bridges at night I use 40 lb leader and braid on a 5000 reel and heavy rod. It sounds ridiculous, and I use to scoff at the guys on piers and bridges with their big gear, but I soon learned that bridges and piers are not the flats. You need to get them in quick because they will wrap you around a piling real quick if you don't have heavy gear.

I am very familiar with Snook. I grew up on Merritt Island and caught plenty of Snook there, Sebastian Inlet, and some at Ft Pierce. That gill plate is wicked.