Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

FPI 2/12

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,125 Officer
Saw that we would have a decent window this morning so headed out before sunrise.  Trolling has been bad so decided to try bottom fishing.  Found some structure in 60 ft.  Anchored up and tried shrimp and squid.  Caught a few small things but nothing much.  Had one line out with live bait which got hit by a nice cobia, just under 30 lbs.  Headed in around 11am before the wind picked up, good choice.  Anyway feels good to finally catch something.

Replies

• AftershockAftershock Posts: 209 Deckhand
    That's a great catch!  Way to take advantage of the weather window.  It's been tough for us 9 to 5ers lately!
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 162 Deckhand
    Nice, cobia are one of my favorites to eat.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • RealdeepRealdeep Posts: 100 Deckhand
    You see persistence pays off, but you already knew that. Nice Cobia. 
  • reelthunderreelthunder Posts: 243 Deckhand
    garysmo you sure get out a lot wish i could get out that much . That pesky thing called work holds me back . that's a nice fish they are one of my favorite to eat we don't see to much of them south out of port everglades . i have happen across  a few  wish we would see more . also i did not realize how much meat there was around the head i almost pitched it then this old timer gave me a lesson i wont for get he pulled about 3 lbs off a 48 lb fish i had caught a couple years back i was impressed and thankful for the lesson i offered him some fish but he had no way of keeping it cool. so he declined 
  • mmccabemmccabe Posts: 14 Deckhand
    Thanks for report nice fish                                                                                                   TyTpethank your comment
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,125 Officer
    That's a great catch!  Way to take advantage of the weather window.  It's been tough for us 9 to 5ers lately!
    Yeah I have to say I don't miss work too much.  I guess the grey hair is good for something.  
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,125 Officer
    garysmo you sure get out a lot wish i could get out that much . That pesky thing called work holds me back . that's a nice fish they are one of my favorite to eat we don't see to much of them south out of port everglades . i have happen across  a few  wish we would see more . also i did not realize how much meat there was around the head i almost pitched it then this old timer gave me a lesson i wont for get he pulled about 3 lbs off a 48 lb fish i had caught a couple years back i was impressed and thankful for the lesson i offered him some fish but he had no way of keeping it cool. so he declined 
    I agree there is a lot of meat on them.  % wise I get more from a cobia than something like a mahi.  But then I'll take either one.  

Yeah work has a way of getting in the way.  I sold off my business a few years ago and have never regretted it.  
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Looks like a nice fish Gary, nice catching a cobe on the Cobia 
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 33 Deckhand
    Great going! Thanks for the report.
  • ssanbitessanbite jupiterPosts: 18 Deckhand
    Nice fish!! Enjoy!! One of my favorites to eat too!!
  • reelthunderreelthunder Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Garysmo said:
    I agree there is a lot of meat on them.  % wise I get more from a cobia than something like a mahi.  But then I'll take either one.  

Yeah work has a way of getting in the way.  I sold off my business a few years ago and have never regretted it.  

God bless you your living my dream i am getting ever closer to that any years now i should be there living it as well. I cant wait i could fish 7 days a week if the weather would let me and these bones done slow me down.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,826 Captain
    That's a nice cobia!  Hope to see some more of them passing through.