Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

PWC fishing and the Florida Keys

L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 297 Deckhand
If you fish from your PWC in the Florida keys. Join the new group. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1064232797259008/edit/

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,354 Officer
    That's about as welcome as testicular cancer on this board.
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 297 Deckhand
    Ya'll missing out. Its a good time.
  • reelthunderreelthunder Posts: 243 Deckhand
    fish_stix said:
    That's about as welcome as testicular cancer on this board.

so true
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 338 Deckhand
    I dont see the issue,  he didnt say riding around like nuts on jet ski's.   He said jet ski fishing.    I have contemplated getting that new seadoo fish pro just to fish inshore on.   I typically only fish for flounder inshore, so i think i could use the ski to hop from one place to the next and get on a sandbar and cast.   

I have even seen them with the mini power poles mounted on them,  you could just pull up to a creek mouth and anchor down and cast.  pop up and hit the next creek mouth at 55mph :smiley:

Bigfish5 said:
    I dont see the issue,  he didnt say riding around like nuts on jet ski's.   He said jet ski fishing.    I have contemplated getting that new seadoo fish pro just to fish inshore on.   I typically only fish for flounder inshore, so i think i could use the ski to hop from one place to the next and get on a sandbar and cast.   

I have even seen them with the mini power poles mounted on them,  you could just pull up to a creek mouth and anchor down and cast.  pop up and hit the next creek mouth at 55mph :smiley:

People want to judge without taking in all the facts. Waste of my time reading their posts.

I want one of those power poles for sure. They're slick! It would go nicely next to my live well. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,799 AG
    I would think the guys fishing from them would be a tick more reasonable than the normal jet ski idjit 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I would think the guys fishing from them would be a tick more reasonable than the normal jet ski idjit 
    Anyone can go buy a jetski no doubt. I do agree that only a few actually use them responsibly. Although I am young at heart and love speed, I still need to go to work the next day so I tend to take it easier than most. I've seen a lot of boaters be just as irresponsible with their boat as the folks that you condemn on their PWC.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 147 Deckhand
    I've seen the same mind-set with ATVs.  I hiked for several years with a small group of mostly older university scholar types (I'm not) and they were fanatical.  I rode and loved my Eiger ATV and rode all over the back country on it - responsibly - and knew several others like myself.  With that hiking group, say the word ATV and they'd turn red and start gnashing their teeth like Pit Bulls at a wienie roast.  Couldn't reason with them, either. 
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,138 AG
    This guy used to post here on FS.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 21 Deckhand
    Same mindset with PWC's in Wisconsin.  My friends and I would have a blast on them and use them responsibly (mostly).  Fishermen up there hated them because teenagers would cut them off at 50 mph fishing a point.  Use them responsibly and they are fine with me.
    Respect is earned! You don't gather much of it when it's common for jet ski idiots to run tight circles around your anchored boat while you're trying to fish.  Or deliberatly run through your line when shore fishing; Sebastian Inlet comes to mind in my personal experience. If it ever comes up for a vote by Fl fishermen, jet skis will be history. And good riddance. Take your noisy toys and go elsewhere.
    fish_stix said:
    Respect is earned! You don't gather much of it when it's common for jet ski idiots to run tight circles around your anchored boat while you're trying to fish.  Or deliberatly run through your line when shore fishing; Sebastian Inlet comes to mind in my personal experience. If it ever comes up for a vote by Fl fishermen, jet skis will be history. And good riddance. Take your noisy toys and go elsewhere.
    You're right respect is earned. Your experience has made you salty about the topic for sure. You telling anyone to go elsewhere is just a ignorant comment though. Its not your body of water to control. I hope you're happy that you got your opinion off your chest. 
    I am so happy!  Go ahead and start using your PWCs in the Keys. You'll meet up with some of the local guides and old salts down there and probably have a few "Conversations" with them!  I see you're an invader from St. Louis; PWCs and a Yankee to boot!  Nice combination.
    fish_stix said:
    I am so happy!  Go ahead and start using your PWCs in the Keys. You'll meet up with some of the local guides and old salts down there and probably have a few "Conversations" with them!  I see you're an invader from St. Louis; PWCs and a Yankee to boot!  Nice combination.
    Actually I met a lot of good folk on my last trip down.
    They're not all like you. Believe that.
    What you don't know is I grew up all over the south.
    You however don't seem to have a lick of southern hospitality as I know it.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 673 Officer
    Southern hospitality depends on mutual respect.  That's why most PWC POS don't see much of it.  The few that exhibit common courtesy do get to see it.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

limitless said:
    Southern hospitality depends on mutual respect.  That's why most PWC POS don't see much of it.  The few that exhibit common courtesy do get to see it.
    Completely agree. Most PWC riders are beyond irresponsible. Especially when it comes to fishermen. 
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 234 Deckhand
    L8RBRA, I'm sure you're a great guy but mentioning PWC's and The Keys in the same sentence on this forum is like signing a life sentence of heckling. You're never going to get a vote of confidence from any of us "old salts". Yes, we're bitter about PWC's from experience and a lifetime of fishing in The Keys will tell you they don't belong there. We're not telling you where you can and cannot fish in your Jet Ski, we're just telling you it's basically considered off topic here and all you're going to get is a bunch of heckle back. Nothing good comes out of discussing Jet Skis and The Keys, nothing. I'm sure Fish Stix has plenty of hospitality, it's just the mention of a PWC in The Keys sets off something in our brains that is unexplainable. The guy from New Zealand that used to post here fishing from his PWC in New Zealand was pretty cool because it was offshore in harsh conditions at times but the thought of a PWC zooming across a sensitive Key's flat just irks me to no end. Nothing personal, it just irks me and a lot of others living and fishing there. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited February 19 #20
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but....who exactly is the problem?

Patterns of Propeller scarring of seagrass in Florida Bay

General Results We detected approximately 12,000 seagrass scars.Scar lengths ranged from approximately 2 to 1600 meters. The total length of scars was approximately 525,000 me-ters (325 miles).Scars are present throughout the shallow areas of Florida Bay.High resolution imagery suggests that our primary imag-ery may underestimate total scarring distance by a factor of approximately 10, i.e., there may be as many as 3250 miles of scars in Florida Bay. Substantially more scarring was identified in this study than in a previous study conducted in 1995.Patterns and Associations The majority of scarring was identified in depths below 3.0 ft and scarring density tends to increase with decreasing depth. Dense scarring is more likely in close proximity to marked and unmarked channels and shorelines. The density of scarring around marked and unmarked channels is similar. Scarring density is higher in areas that are most heavily used by recreational boats. Scarring density was not related to proximity to boat ramps in the Florida Keys or Flamingo. Scarring is increasing in specific sites in Florida Bay. A propeller dredged channel, identified in 1995, has been steadily increasing in area.Summary and Recommendations Seagrass scarring in Florida Bay is widespread with dense scarring found in shallow depths, near all navigational channels, and around areas most heavily used by boats. Although seagrass damage assessments using aerial imag-ery often underestimate scarring, they provide useful in-formation on pattern and relative density.Because scarring is not improving with time, new manage-ment strategies are warranted to protect submerged wil-derness resources and reduce stressors as part of an over-all approach to ecosystem management in Florida Bay. An adaptive approach, initially focusing on the most heav-ily scarred areas, should consider monitoring data from specific indicator sites with a variety of management op-tions including education, improved signage, new en-forcement efforts, and boating restrictions, such as pole and troll zones.
    One Drop said:
    L8RBRA, I'm sure you're a great guy but mentioning PWC's and The Keys in the same sentence on this forum is like signing a life sentence of heckling. You're never going to get a vote of confidence from any of us "old salts". Yes, we're bitter about PWC's from experience and a lifetime of fishing in The Keys will tell you they don't belong there. We're not telling you where you can and cannot fish in your Jet Ski, we're just telling you it's basically considered off topic here and all you're going to get is a bunch of heckle back. Nothing good comes out of discussing Jet Skis and The Keys, nothing. I'm sure Fish Stix has plenty of hospitality, it's just the mention of a PWC in The Keys sets off something in our brains that is unexplainable. The guy from New Zealand that used to post here fishing from his PWC in New Zealand was pretty cool because it was offshore in harsh conditions at times but the thought of a PWC zooming across a sensitive Key's flat just irks me to no end. Nothing personal, it just irks me and a lot of others living and fishing there. 
    I hear ya. Keep in mind that I am a boat guy first. Owned and operated the same one since 1994.
    Here is my spin on this whole argument of the ages.
    In all reality, PWC's when used correctly and responsibly are far less damaging to sensitive areas than boats with propellers. The draft on a PWC is much shallower than that of most boats. I am not here to tell you that PWC's are better or worse. I am going to say that a boat can cause much more scaring that a PWC will in shallow areas. ANYONE who drives a boat or PWC that fast in a shallow area is a moron and should be treated as such. Most of the disturbance from a PWC is on the surface and not deep like that of a outboard. 

By the way, I dont fish the backcountry of the keys. I value my PWC too much to chance running it aground or similar as I am not as familiar with the shallower waters. I fish the reef and channel mainly and if I feel ballzy enough I will head offshore with a buddy boat. 
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 240 Deckhand
    I checked out the Seadoo Fish Pro on Seadoo's website. This watercraft STARTS AT ABOUT $15,000!! ****!!! A new Key West 17 foot center console sells for about $25,000 and that little Mako 17 wannabe boat will work in all sorts of fishing conditions, even offshore in The Keys on a calm day. You can also buy a darned good used boat for 15 grand and I'd take that over a PWC any day. Also, think about how you'll feel when that 9 or 10 foot long shark goes after a fish while you're trying to land it. Spend enough time on the water and that will happen, especially in The Keys.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,834 Admiral
    It happens to kayak fishermen too.
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 240 Deckhand
    I'm just thinking about a fisherman in a kayak or PWC fishing in Channel 2 or 5 in May or June, hooking a tarpon, and then seeing about a 4 foot tall dorsal fin of a big hammerhead show up near the "boat". I wonder if this has happened yet, or how many times it has happened.
    I've caught a 9ft bull in a 14 ft pof boat in the IR near Sebastian Inlet. I'm not scared. Id be honored to have such a beast get that close. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,799 AG
    I checked out the Seadoo Fish Pro on Seadoo's website. This watercraft STARTS AT ABOUT $15,000!! ****!!! A new Key West 17 foot center console sells for about $25,000 and that little Mako 17 wannabe boat will work in all sorts of fishing conditions, even offshore in The Keys on a calm day. You can also buy a darned good used boat for 15 grand and I'd take that over a PWC any day. Also, think about how you'll feel when that 9 or 10 foot long shark goes after a fish while you're trying to land it. Spend enough time on the water and that will happen, especially in The Keys.
    My SV2100 fits this description perfectly.   Paid off and everything.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.