Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anybody fish the Oleta River?

2times2times AlvaPosts: 64 Deckhand
I grew up close to Oleta River in the 1960's to 1980's and I used to fish the Oleta river with my brother and friends on a john boat.  Back then there were no development in what is now the Oleta River Park except the bridge that was on the 163 street near US1 and the closed bridge that was off the 163 street that lead into the property but didn't lead to anywhere.  We usually targeted snooks but we never caught a lot of them but ones we did catch there were large...some very large.  My biggest snook was taken there in summer of 1981 just by the closed bridge that went 32 pounds and my brother caught one few year later that was 35 lb.  We also hooked tarpons in there but lost most of them.  It was an interesting place back then.        
I happened to drive by there last week and noticed it was a park now so I drive in.  I was surprised to see all the changes to the place.  I noticed the river is it looked fishy but didn't see anyone fishing.  
Anybody here ever fish the Oleta river?  Is it worth fishing there?  I may try some day just for the nostalgia.   

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Do yourself a favor and remember it as it was. Then go to Everglades City. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,057 Officer
    I used to fish the dam back in the early 60's and the fishing was off the chain. Now it's a channel for all the sewage line breaks in the area. No bueno.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,730 Captain
    Both the Oleta River and nearby Maule Lake still hold fish - and big ones... Don't ask about the water quality though... 
    The dam at nearby Greynolds Park still holds fish as well - but once again - don't ask about the water quality... 

Haven't been there in years but that area even has a few tiny trickles that hold baby tarpon the size of large pilchards...

Years and years ago, flying over Maule Lake in a chopper you could see monster black drum in Maule Lake - working the spoil banks just west of Eastern Shores as well... I can also remember watching big, bad bull sharks at the surface where Maule Lake drains in the the 171st St canal towards the intercoastal... right at dawn, first light... 

Lots of similar places all along the western side of Biscayne Bay at the north end... If I remember correctly the few who really know that area were the local kids who prowled it after school and on weekends - and I'll bet there's a few of them still around as well... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 64 Deckhand
    I lived in Eastern Shore from 1965 to 1984 so all that area was very familiar to me and my sibling and friends.  In 1971 or 1972 my father got us a used Sears Gamefisher jon boat and a Gamefisher 3.5 hp motor so we were able to get around that whole area to fish.  More than once we carried that boat across 163 street to launch it at Oleta River.  We used to catch Spanish mackerels in Lake Maule in winter and occasionally hook huge tarpons.  When the dam on the Greynolds park had water flowing out we would catch a lot of snooks and small tarpons there.  I once hooked a large shark on a live ladyfish at the dam but lost it after few minutes.  Anybody remember an old man that used to be at the dam all the time in the late 70's and early 80's?  He used to be there in his parked Dodge all day and only go home after dark.  If he wasn't at the dam he was at the VA hospital.  There was also a guy we called rabbi that used to fish the dam for snooks in the early 80's.  A little further north was a wooden railroad bridge with a small stream that flowed into Maule lake and at the mouth of that creek my best friend caught a small 3 lb. redfish in 1970 or 71.  It may have been a juvenile black drum but I'm pretty sure it was a redfish as I seem to remember a black spot near the tail.  We also handlined for jewfish at the bridge that was on the 163 street that crossed over Intercostal waterway near the mouth of Oleta River.  We hooked something big couple times while baiting with live jack but never landed anything...I think they were probably sharks.  We also fished the area behind FIU in dead end canals  that were dug out years ago.  There were snooks, jacks and ladyfish in those areas and tons of mullets in winter.  It was a great place for us kids who loved fishing and were allowed to go and play without adult supervision.                
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 64 Deckhand
    I was just talking to my dad and he was telling me about growing up in Morningside near Morningside Park in the 50's and early 60's and fishing the residential seawall for snooks and jacks and nearby grass flats near spoil islands for trouts and mackeral and bluefish in winter.  He said fishing was amazing in that area when he was growing up. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Early 60's the fishing in Maule lake and the lake off I95 connected by the dam at Greynolds Park could be fantastic. I hope some of the fish remain, but like everything else, pressure from population growth is tough on itl
  • josephreubengomezjosephreubengomez Miami, FLPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    When I first moved here a few years back I saw Oleta river and thought it looked very fishy but after fishing there a few times in my kayak I’ve realized it’s not a good area. Bad water quality and have only caught a few small barracudas. Maule lake I’ve caught many small jack and a few small snook. Now whenever I kayak fish I drive south about an hour to fish the southern part of Biscayne bay. 
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    fished it by boat back in December 2019.   Threw top water & jerk baits.  Bunch of small cudas in the 10-12" range and 1 snook about 20".  All the cudas were where the river turns north just before 163rd street.  Nasty bar on the south side of the river on the turn by the old smoke house.  

2019 summer fished the locks just off Biscayne Blvd with Flair Hawks and Mullet imitations and nothing.  Waste of time except for the cigars I smoked each trip!

• FishFactsTVFishFactsTV Miami, FLPosts: 56 Deckhand
    Lots of better canals in south dade.  To busy up there.
    Check out my page on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/fishfactstv
  • Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 53 Deckhand
    Honestly the fecal count in that river is higher than your toilet