Home Off Topic

Save our homes benefit

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,468 AG
Wow I sure wish someone would have told us about this or our mortgage company estimated our property taxes last year taking this into account.

Our property tax liability went up close to 70% as we are also paying our escrow short for last year's taxes.


Captain Todd Approves

«1

Replies

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 10,825 AG
    Oh, that’s very nice. Isn’t it weird how people in charge have to make it hard to understand how much they want you to pay?
         I bet it could be, like 1 sentence.
    ” You have it, we want a cut of it!”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 30,985 AG
    edited February 14 #3
    I moved in December of  2018 and sold the house in March 2019. Alachua county refused to give me my exemptions for 2019 because I changed the mailing address of the GRU bill before January 1, 2019. 

    Screwed the new owners badly since they got no exemptions for 2019 and will get reassessed this year. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,280 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Wow I sure wish someone would have told us about this or our mortgage company estimated our property taxes last year taking this into account.

    Our property tax liability went up close to 70% as we are also paying our escrow short for last year's taxes.


    No offense, but you sound like the people that got adjustable rate mortgages and were then surprised when the rate went up as well as their bill. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,468 AG
    I expect tax rates to go up every year, just not by 70%.  So the surprise is not that property taxes went up, but that they went up so much.  I just wish it was brought up when we were buying so it wasn't a surprise.

    The good news for me is I now get the benefit.  

    Captain Todd Approves

  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,177 Moderator
    Did you have an agent or did you use the listing agent. If you had one they certainly should have gone over this with you prior to or during closing.
    The listing agent doesn't represent you. They represent the seller.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

    RJG

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,468 AG
    We had several agents because our original agent left the agency before we found a home..  

    Captain Todd Approves

  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 284 Deckhand
    It is disgusting from a financial point of view how much waste and unnecessary hiring/job positions, nepotism, Absolutely abuse of the taxpayers. Municipalities will spend money on what many would consider to be BS to justify maintaining and expanding the tax roll, like buying a boat, otherwise a luxury boat, to patrol the sand bars (Hooter Patrol). This is a significant problem on local, state and federal abuse of the taxpayers. Many people’s heads will unscrew, however, I believe a lot of things should be removed from the tax roll and privatized, like the school system. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG
    I agree mostly, but the school system is one that should be covered by the people as a whole (i.e., the state).
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 284 Deckhand
    Something to think about regarding the school system.... You pay your share to send your kid(s) to school for your entire property/home owning life. If you look at what you have paid over the years for the school system it is considerable money. Think about paying tuition (privatized school system not on the tax roll) only for the actual time your kid(s) attended school. There should be government oversight, however, the competency of that has been questionable for many years. New math? No cursive writing? Now I understand from the news that cursive writing will be taught again and they are teaching “old” math again. I believe if schools were operated as a business, there is no protection (tenure) for bad teachers. Performance based reward is more logical and an efficient use of funds. The better teachers would receive reward, those not so good would be eliminated if they didn’t perform to standards. Some folks don’t have children and they are paying for those that do. Feels like Obamacare to me. The Affordable Healthcare Act was/is NOT affordable. These are some things to think about. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,302 Admiral
    Yes, funny how real estate agencies advertise the low taxes on a house for sale not taking into account that the previous owners might have had the property for years and capping the taxes with the SOH program.  
  • IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 122 Deckhand
    PROFINITY said:
     New math? No cursive writing? Now I understand from the news that cursive writing will be taught again and they are teaching “old” math again. I 
    Glad my kids are past that point. The "Old Math' sucks compared to the "New" math.  Also kids hardly ever write these days. Everything is tablet based learning. Why the hell do they need cursive writing? I am 50 and the only thing I can write in cursive is my signature. I have no use for it. It hasn't hurt my my life or career in any way. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,142 Admiral
    edited February 19 #13
    Being a draftsman I do all my writing by printing, capitals too.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,177 Moderator
    stc1993 said:
    Being a draftsman I do all my writing by printing, capitals too.
    I did a lot of shop/field drawings way back when. Used a T-square and triangles. :)

    I still print in block letters.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

    RJG

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,142 Admiral
    It gets To be a habit.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    Being a draftsman I do all my writing by printing, capitals too.

    Cool. My wife is a landscape architect (native planting and Florida friendly landscape mainly) and hand draws all her plans. They are all works of art.
  • IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 122 Deckhand
    stc1993 said:
    Being a draftsman I do all my writing by printing, capitals too.
    I did a lot of shop/field drawings way back when. Used a T-square and triangles. :)

    I still print in block letters.
    I have a degree in landscape architecture and also still write in block letters.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,302 Admiral
    PROFINITY said:
    It is disgusting from a financial point of view how much waste and unnecessary hiring/job positions, nepotism, Absolutely abuse of the taxpayers. Municipalities will spend money on what many would consider to be BS to justify maintaining and expanding the tax roll, like buying a boat, otherwise a luxury boat, to patrol the sand bars (Hooter Patrol). This is a significant problem on local, state and federal abuse of the taxpayers. Many people’s heads will unscrew, however, I believe a lot of things should be removed from the tax roll and privatized, like the school system. 
    I worked for a school district a few years ago, each department has a hefty budget to operate from, if they don't use what's allocated to them, they lose the balance.  When I got hired they actually had to pay me more than what I asked for so it would be inline with their budget.  Kind of upset me at the time knowing about the abuse that takes place with our tax dollars.

    There's tons of unnecessary overhead at the district level(at least in Palm Beach County)
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,972 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    Being a draftsman I do all my writing by printing, capitals too.
    I did a lot of shop/field drawings way back when. Used a T-square and triangles. :)

    I still print in block letters.
    I write in cursive as often as possible, knowing that most people under 30 can’t read it. Kinda like having a secure website.  ;)
    Back in the early 70s working for my dad in the AC business he told me to cut it out writting cursive on service tickets. LOL told everyone else the same thing print only. I couldn't write cursive now if my life depended on it yeah that's all I knew growing up. Now they don't even teach it in school.
     
     
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 284 Deckhand
    So.... In the spirit of the topic of this tread, abusing the taxpayer, some of you folks are ok with the school system teaching less and yet the cost to the taxpayer is more.  :D 

    In Stuart, around the airport, many people (home owners) are talking about appealing their real estate taxes because the airport is generating a lot of air traffic (noise). Both waterfront property owners as well non-waterfront property owners are becoming disgruntled. The airport’s position is they are generating a lot of money for Stuart and the county. Residents are taking the position to give tax relief if they have to deal with airport (noise). My GUESS is the airport land would be a higher ratable (tax revenue) if it was commercial and residential land and not an airport. I think this situation is a poop show in the making and it would not surprise me if this makes the news in the near future. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,022 Captain
    edited February 22 #22
    PROFINITY said:
    So.... In the spirit of the topic of this tread, abusing the taxpayer, some of you folks are ok with the school system teaching less and yet the cost to the taxpayer is more.  :D 

    In Stuart, around the airport, many people (home owners) are talking about appealing their real estate taxes because the airport is generating a lot of air traffic (noise). Both waterfront property owners as well non-waterfront property owners are becoming disgruntled. The airport’s position is they are generating a lot of money for Stuart and the county. Residents are taking the position to give tax relief if they have to deal with airport (noise). My GUESS is the airport land would be a higher ratable (tax revenue) if it was commercial and residential land and not an airport. I think this situation is a poop show in the making and it would not surprise me if this makes the news in the near future. 
    What was there first, houses or airport?
     And most people have no clue what is being taught in the schools.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 30,985 AG
    Gary S said:

    What was there first, houses or airport?
     
     I hate it when they build a neighborhood near an airport or industrial area and then the homeowners move in and complain about the noise, Kind of like the idiots who move where bears. gators and other wild animals are and then complain when they see them. You knew they were there before you bought the house, quit whining. You don't like it, move. 

    Now if the airport effects home values, then you could ask for a reassessment of the value. 


    Mini Mart Magnate

    This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 284 Deckhand
    edited February 22 #24
    Gary, Cadman and whoever else is interested....

    The issue is more complicated than who was there first. I understand the argument. For the record, some, very few, homes were here first. Willoughby finished building his house in 1924, if memory serves me correctly. The Airport (Stuart Jet Center) was a grass strip and was used in the 1930s. The airport was NOT supposed to become what it is as of today. It was a private airport. There was community involvement to regulate noise and permitted time to fly (air traffic). It has become something that was said previously, for many years, that it would never be. The airport has taken federal money from the FAA and has since grown substantially from what it was. There is a strong argument to be made that the airport doesn’t belong where it is located. How would you feel about jets flying a couple or few hundred feet over your house? Think about it this way, your neighborhood is quiet, you pay a healthy amount of tax on it and then you have a couple planes every week fly over your house. That’s not a big deal, until, over time (couple years) you have dozens of jets and dozens of prop planes flying over your house every day. If they were to change the runway by redesigning it to a different take off and landing pattern, neighborhoods not effected today could be impacted from otherwise quiet neighborhoods. What does the argument become then? Is it fair to say, hey, you know there was an airport in town. There is a flight school operating out of the Stuart airport. There is a training center to teach pilots to fly Sikorski helicopters. These enterprises were not supposed to be there. What has happened is what was supposed to be a small airport has become something entirely different from what was intended. How would you feel if someone(s) opened a sober house next to you? Argument could be made that people need help, after all, you know there are bars not far from your house. 

    I like airplanes. I however understand that the quality of life from loud air traffic noise is unfairly impacting those, who by the way, also contribute a significant amount to the local economy and tax roll. There is also pollution from jet exhaust to contend with. As I already stated, this is an issue that will not surprise me seeing in the news and courts. Government should not burden citizens and this becomes particularly a hot issue without compensation, in this case, tax relief. This can be construed as a taxation without equal representation argument. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Aircraft are not noisy. 
    Should have been around before fanjets, those high bypass augmented engines were loud. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,177 Moderator
    edited February 22 #26
    PROFINITY said:
    Gary, Cadman and whoever else is interested....

    This can be construed as a taxation without equal representation argument. 
    Nonsense. The local politicians are always behind the scenes sucking up to Uncle Sam for Fed bucks. Who elects the local politicians? These people have representation. They just do not hold them accountable. 

    Most likely, this is a case of of local residents setting on their tails and letting things progress at this airport until one day, as they are sitting in their backyards sipping a PBR, they look up remarking, " Dang Marge, that airplane is awful low isn't it?" She replies, "Noisy too!"

    Too often these days, we sit on our bottoms letting the "government" take care of our lives and realizing too late we can't stop so-called "progress" because "progress" has already passed us by.




    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

    RJG

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 122 Deckhand
    PROFINITY said:
    Gary, Cadman and whoever else is interested....

    This can be construed as a taxation without equal representation argument. 

    Most likely, this is a case of of local residents setting on their tails and letting things progress at this airport until one day, as they are sitting in their backyards sipping a PBR, they look up remarking, " Dang Marge, that airplane is awful low isn't it?" She replies, "Noisy too!"


    Exactly what I getting ready to post.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 30,985 AG
    edited February 22 #28
    They always have the option to move. 

    The only way I see a tax reduction is if they can demonstrate the airport diminished the property values. Just because they don't like the noise is no reason to pay less taxes. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    According to the data on Flightradar24, it is only General aviation that uses that airport with some business jets using it. 
     It’s not like they have 747’s and other large jets using it. 
     Sounds like some home owners just want something to gripe about. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Looks like that airfield has been there a long time. 

  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,178 AG
    PROFINITY said:
    Gary, Cadman and whoever else is interested....

    The issue is more complicated than who was there first. I understand the argument. For the record, some, very few, homes were here first. Willoughby finished building his house in 1924, if memory serves me correctly. The Airport (Stuart Jet Center) was a grass strip and was used in the 1930s. The airport was NOT supposed to become what it is as of today. It was a private airport. There was community involvement to regulate noise and permitted time to fly (air traffic). It has become something that was said previously, for many years, that it would never be. The airport has taken federal money from the FAA and has since grown substantially from what it was. There is a strong argument to be made that the airport doesn’t belong where it is located. How would you feel about jets flying a couple or few hundred feet over your house? Think about it this way, your neighborhood is quiet, you pay a healthy amount of tax on it and then you have a couple planes every week fly over your house. That’s not a big deal, until, over time (couple years) you have dozens of jets and dozens of prop planes flying over your house every day. If they were to change the runway by redesigning it to a different take off and landing pattern, neighborhoods not effected today could be impacted from otherwise quiet neighborhoods. What does the argument become then? Is it fair to say, hey, you know there was an airport in town. There is a flight school operating out of the Stuart airport. There is a training center to teach pilots to fly Sikorski helicopters. These enterprises were not supposed to be there. What has happened is what was supposed to be a small airport has become something entirely different from what was intended. How would you feel if someone(s) opened a sober house next to you? Argument could be made that people need help, after all, you know there are bars not far from your house. 

    I like airplanes. I however understand that the quality of life from loud air traffic noise is unfairly impacting those, who by the way, also contribute a significant amount to the local economy and tax roll. There is also pollution from jet exhaust to contend with. As I already stated, this is an issue that will not surprise me seeing in the news and courts. Government should not burden citizens and this becomes particularly a hot issue without compensation, in this case, tax relief. This can be construed as a taxation without equal representation argument. 

    Why would you buy a house that is under the flight path of an airport if you dont want to live under the flight path of an airport?  Dont move next to a pig farm if you dont like the smell of pigs.
Sign In or Register to comment.