Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Sheepshead fishing without a boat?

Anyone know where I could catch sheepshead without a boat? I went to george crady bridge to try to catch some with fiddler crabs, but no luck.
I was trying to find docks I could go to, piers, bridges, jetties, but i dont know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. 

Replies

• Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,401 Officer
    edited January 8 #2
    That's a tough one.  Best shot is Sandollar rocks or Ferry slip area.  Get you a telescoping cane pole, they sell them at B & M.  You can also access the Big Jetties....The South Jetty rocks can be accessed from the beach I believe...lots of good fishing there.  I'm not sure where the boundary is with the Base.  Cane pole is a must and you'll prob get a bunch of ringtails also..good luck.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,547 Captain
    What Snatch-Um said and throwing in the rocks at Ft George, lil Talbot side. Caught many on cane pole. 
  • SpaldSpald Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Dock crabs you find on the dock will work just fine so will muscles or oysters. Cold weather you will need a sunny day to collect fiddlers . George crady Is a good spot with no boat needed . Check the mayors posts. Cane poles In the others spots mentioned have stood the test of time. Just hard to feel that bite but you get a longer reach. do some research and put your time in. Many factors with the bandits but there’s a decent bite for the next couple months. Do what works for you. They are around 
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,425 Officer
    How deep does it get off the ft george rocks? I know its gets really deep out towards the ocean off of the beach. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,499 Admiral
    You can't get anywhere near the south jetty rocks, you can't pass the poles at Hannah Park.....base restrictions, of course, unless you're military.

If you're part billy goat you can walk the North Jetties, using cane pole, and do well.....tons of sheeps have fallen there.

The rocks along the bank at the little jetties used to be killer for sheeps, but not sure if you have access anymore there.

The Ft George rocks are also a good place. Just walk along dipping fiddlers until you find some 

And almost any bridge you can gain access from underneath, and fish from safely, will produce.....
  • speckfi02speckfi02 Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Sea Snake said:
    You can't get anywhere near the south jetty rocks, you can't pass the poles at Hannah Park.....base restrictions, of course, unless you're military.

If you're part billy goat you can walk the North Jetties, using cane pole, and do well.....tons of sheeps have fallen there.

The rocks along the bank at the little jetties used to be killer for sheeps, but not sure if you have access anymore there.

The Ft George rocks are also a good place. Just walk along dipping fiddlers until you find some 

And almost any bridge you can gain access from underneath, and fish from safely, will produce.....
    How far would I have to walk the north jetties?
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Ballpark 300 yards...seems short but that walk has got to be brutal and slow.  Most guys I've seen on that side fish the channel side also.
    Yes...what Tyler said above.....the first 100 yards or so are the hardest where there have been washed away rocks....you gotta be VERY CAREFUL....I know of two people personally that died falling in there.....anyway, halfway down there is kinda like a walkway, on top....but not sure in what condition these days it is in.....I haven't walked the north jetties in many years. But I see people up there all the time. 

Don't cast while up there, you'll lose your rig everytime.....this is cane pole dipping, like you'd dip minnows crappie fishing around lilly pads. ...straight up and straight down.....I used to use real cane poles 12 or 13 feet, heavy line, no time or place to use 20# test.....use 30 to 40# min....because you have to heave your fish up to you.....and stout sheepshead short shank hooks ....and a coffee can or cricket bucket as a makeshift fiddler can.....make it fit on your hip like a gun holster.....and carry a croaker sack, or  soft yeti or rctic cooler for your catch. But the manly way is croaker sack.....come back when it's full or you're out of fiddlers !!

THAT'S OLD SCHOOL SHEEPSHEAD FISHIN'.......!!
  • HookandStickHookandStick Posts: 210 Deckhand
    That is how I remember my Aunt doing it. She’d fill some mighty big coolers with em. She’d sometimes fish White shell too. 
    Thanks for all the help everyone, since this is my first time trying to land im prob not going to walk the jetties haha, but i will try out all the other rocks and piers you all have suggested to me.
  • biggamebiggame Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Sea snake is right about the rocks they can be very dangerous. I have had plenty of stitches from the north jetties. When I was a teenager I used to catch tons of sheepshead off of the rocks with just a cast net and a five gallon bucket. I would only throw the cast net on the ocean side. I would walk past the flat part of the jetty look for a break in the rocks and wait for the waves to start pulling away from the rocks and that’s when I would throw the net. The waves or current will pull the fish out of the rocks. Don’t let it sink all the way or you will get hung up on a rock. I have caught a lot of heads using this technique.

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,498 Officer
    interesting technique biggame....  is it legal now dayz? and Seasnake technique is spot on.... many, many moons ago my dad and I did the same thing and even fished the military base side... he was active duty and that helped. 
    @speck, you gotta let us know how you do... the suspense is killing us.. :)
  • erik-the-rederik-the-red Posts: 102 Deckhand
    For what it is worth I have fished from the pier at fort clinch and caught 3. This was before my son was born and he is 9 now. I say it like I am old. It seems like it was yesterday. Makes me realize I need to fish a lot more.
    Yes...cast netting sheepsheads is perfectly legal....and deadly.....some commercial guys cast net them when they come into shallow flats, I guess to spawn, or get ready to anyway.
    interesting technique biggame....  is it legal now dayz? and Seasnake technique is spot on.... many, many moons ago my dad and I did the same thing and even fished the military base side... he was active duty and that helped. 
    @speck, you gotta let us know how you do... the suspense is killing us.. :)
    @BottomBumpin Unfortunately I wasn’t able to catch any thing that day. The wind was blowing way too hard and it was too hard to do anything on the rocks. I will go again next week and try everything over again in hopes of catching one. 
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 387 Deckhand
    Maybe try some safer, more protected spots.  There are lots of places along the ICW where you can fish.  Use google maps.  I had an awesome day last summer under the palm valley bridge.  I saw a bunch of folks Kane pole fishing on the south west bank of matanzas inlet.  I would look for safer spots than Jetty rocks.  
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,423 Officer
    Years ago we used to murder the sheeps off the north jetty. Going an hour before low tide and using those little black muscles that grow on the rocks.  Not sure on the legality of using the little black muscles though...this was 30 years ago.