Fly Line Recommendations

ba24ba24 Posts: 23 Deckhand
I am looking to get some feedback on 9 wt floating fly line that I am going to use almost specifically for mid size tarpon. I have been casting a few different Rio lines on a Scott Meridian and while they cast and shoot line smoothly, the memory/coil can drive you crazy even after stretching it. What are the pros and cons of some of your favorite lines?

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 532 Officer
    I am a big fan of textured flylines, specifically because of how nicely they shoot and how they stay limp and resist coiling. I used Sharkskin, which was very textured, to the point of carving your stripping-fingers off.

Scientific Anglers "Amplitude" lines have those characteristics, without as much sandpapering of your fingers, and also are weight-forward and shoot well.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• JWTJWT Posts: 669 Officer
    love everything about the Sharkskin except what it does to my fingers........... like a bandsaw. i still like the SA Tarpon taper in a 9#. 
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 53 Deckhand
    I couldn't stand the sharkskin line. It did shoot well but dam it kills your fingers. I'd much rather deal with memory in my line. Look at the cortland liquid crystal lines. I used the tarpon taper in belize and found it to be very good. I'm normally a rio guy but I would consider cortland on my next reel.
    I was lucky enough to go to the Syechelles a few years ago.
    6 straight days of casting: mostly 10 and 12-weight, 8 hours a day wet and wading.
    100% Sharkskin.
    My fingers were literally bleeding. I had them all taped up.
    Best. Thing. Ever.
    Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I tried Sharkskin years ago but didnt like it. Now I can't remember why. RIO my go to but memory does suck. May try Sharkskin again, but I get RIO wholesale and I'm hard on my lines.. Gamakatsu Stripping Finger a huge help when stripping streamers all day , particularly in freezing conditions out west but also here as well. Sunflower, I found that the stripping finger worked better for me than tape but the only finger I've ever had bleed without it was my index finger and once in a while left pinky. Blood on the fingers usually means great fishing(catching).
    That Gamakatsu Stripping Finger  does look pretty cool.
    I guess it would be easy enough to just wear a golf or racquetball glove.
    Back in the day it was weird when quarterbacks and receivers wore gloves ... now it is the norm.
    You are right about the joy of damage. I sort-of love that groove in my finger during tarpon season ...

Mark

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 690 Officer
    Many years ago I started cutting index finger from my old  golf gloves. They work good, but don't last very long. I always keep some in my fly box. I cut the first two fingers from glove. 
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I use I use a Stripee, best protection for your fingers that I have found.
  • ba24ba24 Posts: 23 Deckhand
    edited January 18 #10
    Has anyone tried the RIO flats pro tropical series direct core. I heard it has limited memory.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 707 Officer
    I just ordered RIO DirectCore Flats Pro Stealth Tip 10 W for a 10 W rig I also ordered - Winston Saltwater Air 10 W and an Abel SDS 10 W. I have the same line on an 11 W rig (Nautilus NV and Winston Boron III) and really like it. No memory issues since I store my lines unspooled.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,363 Captain
    ba24 said:
    Has anyone tried the RIO flats pro tropical series direct core. I heard it has limited memory.
      On an average day I'm asked half a dozen times to recommend a new line to someone who hates what they're currently using. Chances are I sold them the line that they currently hate. It's not a simple question. I try to break it down by habitat to find the appropriate taper, then I can usually eliminate a few options by discussing the lines that have been giving them problems. 

Backcountry: SA grand slam/Rio obs.
    Open water: SA infinity/Rio technical tarpon.
    Clear tip: Rio flats pro stealth tip/Monic Henley phantom tip.
    Full clear: Monic genesis clear/Cortland liquid crystal +

ODC how much stretch does the Monic have? Reason I ask is I had a brand new Monic 10 weight Tarpon taper. I tried this line for a good solid year. I can say it was the best casting line I ever cast, when it didn't tangle. That line cost me dozens of Tarpon, due to cast that tangled 5' short, or the tangle would get caught in stripping guide on the run. If I got lucky the cast was good, then the hook pulled on all but one fish. Could not get a hook to stick in more fish than I care to count. I had to stretch the line before I launching boat, stretching the whole line at one time, then strip in a tub. Finely I cut the head off, and spliced it to a Air flow running line. This cast great, but have not tried it yet, maybe this year I will try it. I have an Air flow Tarpon ridge line that's getting worn out. It didn't cast as good as the Monic, but 0 stretch. 
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Tried the RIO Direct core tarpon line this am in 9 wt for juvies. It did seem to have less memory than my RIO Summer Redfish but since the juvies were a no show I didnt throw it much. The reds did so I threw my Summer Redfish. On my 8wt Sage X the 9 wt Redfish line throws great for me. The Tarpon maybe not so much  but I was throwing it on an 8 wt Temple Fork beater and not the Sage. Next week I'll try it on the Sage and let you guys know what I thought of it.
    SUPER D said:
    ODC how much stretch does the Monic have? Reason I ask is I had a brand new Monic 10 weight Tarpon taper. I tried this line for a good solid year. I can say it was the best casting line I ever cast, when it didn't tangle. That line cost me dozens of Tarpon, due to cast that tangled 5' short, or the tangle would get caught in stripping guide on the run. If I got lucky the cast was good, then the hook pulled on all but one fish. Could not get a hook to stick in more fish than I care to count. I had to stretch the line before I launching boat, stretching the whole line at one time, then strip in a tub. Finely I cut the head off, and spliced it to a Air flow running line. This cast great, but have not tried it yet, maybe this year I will try it. I have an Air flow Tarpon ridge line that's getting worn out. It didn't cast as good as the Monic, but 0 stretch. 
    Being totally serious I doubt there's another manufacturer experimenting with different core materials more than monic. I have 3 different genesis clears with 3 different cores. The Henley phantom tip is pretty firm, not much stretch or memory. The skyline is completely stretch free, with a 68lb gsp core, but it doesn't like being left in a 130 degree car in August. When they put "all weather" on the box they really should have said "most weather.
    Thanks ODC for your reply. Maybe I will give them a try again.
  • Banded WoodieBanded Woodie Posts: 7 Deckhand
    ba24 said:
      On an average day I'm asked half a dozen times to recommend a new line to someone who hates what they're currently using. Chances are I sold them the line that they currently hate. It's not a simple question. I try to break it down by habitat to find the appropriate taper, then I can usually eliminate a few options by discussing the lines that have been giving them problems. 

I don't know much about Scientific Angler lines so I need your help here.  You mention that for Backcountry you would suggest SA Grand Slam.  There are 4 lines listed as being Grand Slam including Amplitude, Amplitude Smooth, Mastery and Wavelength that all are listed as "Grand Slam".  Which do you suggest for someone primarily chasing redfish, trout, flounder while wade fishing or from a kayak?  Forgive me if I should know the difference in these lines but want to make sure I get the right one and SA has a lot of options within each one.
    ba24 said:

I don't know much about Scientific Angler lines so I need your help here.  You mention that for Backcountry you would suggest SA Grand Slam.  There are 4 lines listed as being Grand Slam including Amplitude, Amplitude Smooth, Mastery and Wavelength that all are listed as "Grand Slam".  Which do you suggest for someone primarily chasing redfish, trout, flounder while wade fishing or from a kayak?  Forgive me if I should know the difference in these lines but want to make sure I get the right one and SA has a lot of options within each one.
        The standard mastery line is fine. I've been using the amplitude smooth & textured lines for some time (bonefish and infinity taper), they're definitely nice lines, but I'm never going to tell a customer to spend that on a line