Sea prediction for this weekend?

cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 236 Deckhand
Doubt I’ll get out tomorrow (just got off work) but wondering what everyone thinks for Sunday?  Online is all over the place but it’s been 7 weeks and I am dying for some black fin/wahoo and bottom time?  Any ideas out of mayport?
2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,710 Captain
    It's 6:20am as I'm writing this, and I just came off the beach. It's pretty breezy down there w/ a 10-15mph NNW wind. 

8am update.....The wind has died off, and is light out of the west. It looks a little rough w/ a very tight 2'-3' wind swell out of the NE. I'm home all day, so I will update the conditions later this afternoon/evening.

Disclaimer: I'm just some guy standing on the beach giving it my best estimate. 

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 236 Deckhand
    Appreciate it tho.  No telling what it’ll be like tomorrow 40M out but all the apps/reports are making it sound like 2-4 @ 8 sec.  
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 354 Deckhand
    The weather man's nose has been growing lately.  It looks to me like a stiff NE wind starting at 10am
    Looks like it starting to lay down right now @ 2:30. Getting kinda slick.

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 354 Deckhand
    I meant 10am tomorrow sunday
    edited February 9 #8
    Bad news, but it's 630am, and the wind is a sustained 15mph out of the NE. It looks like it's getting kinda rough.

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 236 Deckhand
    Well...let me tell ya, we left Mayport @ 0715 and ran right into a sizable 3-4' swell out of the NE with confused slop on top.  I imagine if we had gotten started pre-dawn like a few other boats, we might have found better water but it was definitely not the forecasted seas.  I knew my back and the inexperienced members of the crew weren’t up for 50 miles of pounding so we stayed close and let them catch seabass, ARS and some sea monster that almost spooled us before breaking off.  We were up by Fernandina and the action was non-stop although I had to stay on the helm to keep us bow to the swell.  After the youngest crew member got sick (still wanted to fish tho) I made the call and we headed back.  By the time we made the 8 mile run downsea back to Mayport, the wind and waves had increased and we had seawater raining off the top - It would have been a long ride home from way out so glad I chose wisely. 

Really want to put a hoo or black fin in the boat but not yesterday. Took a lot of cleaning to get the salt off of every piece of the boat. NOAA and every other app blew the forecast yesterday. But still got some boat time which is good.