Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wabasso/Vero 1/25

I've been itching to try my luck in some foreign waters lately and did just that on saturday afternoon. It was about an hour and a half drive down to vero from east orlando and we had lines in at about 5pm (had to get some chores out of the way, the late start wasn't ideal). Fished over by Jandrew and Bethel and pulled a couple micro snook out of the mangroves and managed a decent black drum and small jack as well. I wanted to introduce my dad to dock light fishing so once the sun disappeared we did just that. In the 8 dock lights we found, we probably managed to catch no less than 50 mangrove snapper from about 8-12". 2 of them got gut hooked so we invited them home for lunch on sunday. Had fun with some constant action for a couple hours. Caught another micro snook on the lights and at around 9 we decided to head in. Quick trip but it's always fun to do some fishing with my dad and try a new spot. While we still had daylight i was using storm swimbaits and switched to live shrimp after dark...
Shoutout to "Remo" for the reports. Got me excited to fish your area and i'm glad i did.

Replies

• RemoRemo Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Never done much on the dock lights, best ones destroyed by hurricanes.  Best night time for me is working the mud and Mangroves in less than a foot of water.  Skeeters and Noseeums are murder.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 734 Officer
    So FW33,, how were the bugs there at night?
  • windfinderwindfinder Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    edited January 2020 #4
    Remo said:
    Never done much on the dock lights, best ones destroyed by hurricanes.  Best night time for me is working the mud and Mangroves in less than a foot of water.  Skeeters and Noseeums are murder.
    What do you use for lighting when fishing that shallow just a green head lamp?

Does the light spook the fish if you shine it on them before casting?
  • RemoRemo Posts: 120 Deckhand
    No light.  My night vision is as good as day vision.  Use a head lamp when landing a fish.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Keep your light below the level of the gunnel and you have nothing to worry about. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • fullyewrecked33fullyewrecked33 OrlandoPosts: 15 Deckhand
    Flec said:
    So FW33,, how were the bugs there at night?
    Bugs were about as bad as you'd imagine but nothing a little off woods deet couldnt take care of
  • fullyewrecked33fullyewrecked33 OrlandoPosts: 15 Deckhand
    Remo said:
    Yeah the bugs were pretty tough after dark. But i would've never thought to fish the area without your reports. I usually hit mosquito lagoon for my inshore fix and head down to fort pierce for the pelagics. Next time it'll have to be an all day fishing adventure.