Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mutton Tackle

What is your go to tackle, rig setup, and bait that you use for Mutton. I'm always looking for new advice, or hear how everyone else is fishing for them. What depth do you target?

Replies

• MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 211 Deckhand
    Most people claim that you must use a super long leader (30+ ft) with the weight above the leader. This is so that there is no tension on the hook and the bait can float freely. I have seen people have most luck with a long leader anywhere from 20-40 lb, with enough weight to get down and a butterflied ballyhoo on a circle hook. 

However, I have had luck with just about any rig you can think of. Caught big ones at 7 mile bridge with pinfish on a jig head or offshore in 90 feet on a vertical jig with squid. I don't personally believe they are as picky as people make them out to be and you can catch them on any bottom rig, but you may have more luck with the long leader method. 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Thanks man. How do you prefer to attach your weights to the main line?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,738 AG
    Image result for slip sinker rig for mutton snapper
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,053 Captain
    I use similar to above except not the snap swivel.
    Reg swivel tied above the knot so the line can be freely feed thru it.
    The loop works great for an egg or bank sinker
     you can quickly change weights as needed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/ <br></code><div>573-216-4078<br></div><div><br></div><code><a rel="nofollow" href="http://">https://www.AOKRVs.com</a>&nbsp;&nbsp; -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.<br><br>
  • piner_wahoo1piner_wahoo1 keysPosts: 638 Officer
    accurate 2 spd reel, star plasma rod
    AOKRVs said:
    I use similar to above except not the snap swivel.
    Reg swivel tied above the knot so the line can be freely feed thru it.
    The loop works great for an egg or bank sinker
     you can quickly change weights as needed
    Thanks, I use something similar to the above as well. Do you store your bottom rigs in zip locks, or do you have another way? 

I'm also always interested in hearing how other people store their bottom rigs. 
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 202 Deckhand
    Great diagram Soda.  Gonna try it next time.  So if the leader from 3 to 5 has to be really long...you would have to hand over hand the fish into the boat?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,738 AG
    I'm going to try that this summer when i'm in the keys over the patch reefs and see what happens. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Dodger said:
    Great diagram Soda.  Gonna try it next time.  So if the leader from 3 to 5 has to be really long...you would have to hand over hand the fish into the boat?
    You are correct. I always just put the weight in an empty rod holder so it won't shake around. Then hand line the leader. 
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 211 Deckhand
    Either above the swivel and hand line or I will use a rubber band to attach it so I can reel the knot through the eye 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 328 Deckhand
    believe it not, we have had incredible success catching them on yellow tail rigs on the surface the last few years...go figure...my buddy got an eleven pounder on a little white jig with a piece of squid targeting yellow tails...I like to use fresh ballyhoo live on the bottom or in plugs...