Home Boating

Towboat US

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,592 Captain
Currently I only have a very basic membership....I think it's like $100 tow.  I'm thinking about the full membership.  I have a new boat with twins on it and fish offshore regularly and plan a few of trips to the Bahamas a year.  Curious what others do.  The full membership is not that expensive.

Replies

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 344 Deckhand
    Do it.   Cheap insurance and well worth the $.  If running to the islands, make sure your insurance and tow service covers it.  Many don’t without an upgrade. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 830 Officer
    Some boat insurance policies cover tows. That's what I do.
  • BwarrenBwarren Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Do bully is correct. Geico marine owns tow boat US. It also cheaper for the on water towing through them than the membership if your already paying for insurance. 
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,810 Moderator
    Well  worth the money. Been a member for many years and never needed it . Then in the last few years well offshore  4 times. Saved me many $$$$$.  I have TOW BOAT.US
    larrywitt
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,281 Captain
    edited January 2020 #6
    A reminder for anyone considering turning commercial (for hire)... None of the membership outfits cover commercial operators - only recreational users... For commercial operators... look to your commercial coverage since they'll have a pretty generous coverage (mine even covers me for towing my skiff on the road - if my tow vehicle breaks down..). 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,512 Admiral
    It's a lot cheaper to have it than not.

A guy I know didn't have it & a tow cost him $800 I think it was.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 827 Officer
    I have it since 1994 and well worth the money have use it several times, once 25 miles out, they were there with in 2 hours  and another three times for soft groundings when the water ran out at low tide while and sand bars, I have the unlimited with on the road assistance 
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 456 Deckhand
    finbully said:
    Pretty sure you are subject to  your deductible though which is typically $500
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 352 Deckhand
    Gotsea said:
    I have it since 1994 and well worth the money have use it several times, once 25 miles out, they were there with in 2 hours  and another three times for soft groundings when the water ran out at low tide while and sand bars, I have the unlimited with on the road assistance 
    How did you hail someone 25 miles out? I'm not accusing only asking out of ignorance. My VHF radio seems to work out to about 10 miles. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 830 Officer
    hunterjw said:
    finbully said:
    Pretty sure you are subject to  your deductible though which is typically $500
    Progressive, Sign and Glide $30 year with the policy. Progressive pays out to 75 NM direct to the service provider.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Gotsea said:
    How did you hail someone 25 miles out? I'm not accusing only asking out of ignorance. My VHF radio seems to work out to about 10 miles. 
    The next time you’re out 25 miles call sea tow and see if it works,
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 827 Officer
    Plumber, posted: "How did you hail someone 25 miles out? I'm not accusing only asking out of ignorance. My VHF radio seems to work out to about 10 miles"  
     have you ever been 25 miles out  because VHF it sure works out there, at 10 miles out you still the top of Miami Beach Buildings, hope you never be 20  miles out there and start taking water, according to your theory you will drown , yes it do works out there and further out, it all has to do with the antenna height, mine is on top of the hard top. probably the end of the antenna is probably some 20+ feet of sea level, the VHF signal is base on line of site, at sea level you could see 1.5 miles, so 10 feet on top a the boat you can see flat land at 15 miles. 

Cheers