Home General Hunting

What can felons use to hunt?

What can felons use to hunt?

I have a buddy of mine that had a troubled past when was a kid and is now on the no gun list.......
we know he can use a bow.
what about a crossbow or pcp air gun ? 

Replies

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 784 Officer
    edited January 2020 #2
    It's a bit tricky; potentially you could use a percussion cap ML

These are not considered firearms but actually antiques. Several cases have come to be in FL. For example, here's an overturned case from 2012 involving Blackwater WMA
    https://www.courthousenews.com/florida-felon-gets-courts-ok-on-antique-gun/

However, here is a statement from FWC regarding and including the above
    https://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/felony/

I would stick to what FWC lists to be safe
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,293 Captain
    Crossbows and PCPs are allowed for felons. And yes, percussion cap, breeched loaded, muzzleloaders are not firearms for the purpose of the charge possession firearm by a convicted felon. 

A person with a past needs to make sure he isn’t subject to a DV injunction. Those usually prohibit all weapons. Although the above weapons aren’t firearms, they are weapons. Note that felons may not possess concealed weapons. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,189 Admiral
    If it was a long time ago and not a Violent Crime he should just get his Firearms rights restored..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited January 2020 #5
    The Feds won’t do it (its also a Federal crime for a felon to have a weapon). The Feds don’t fund the positions to have cases reviewed. They do recognize when a State does it. But guess who else doesn’t fund positions to review cases/individuals for firearm rights restoration? 
    In other words, if you’re a felon you’re not getting your gun rights back. The few that ever have did the statistical equivalent of winning the lottery. 
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 170 Deckhand
    I know someone who got their rights back, but they had to wait an for 7-10 years then hired an attorney.

Question for bullfrog.  I know that trespass with a firearm is a felony, what about someone caught trespassing with a bow or muzzleloader?

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,326 Officer
    The Feds won’t do it (its also a Federal crime for a felon to have a weapon). The Feds don’t fund the positions to have cases reviewed. They do recognize when a State does it. But guess who else doesn’t fund positions to review cases/individuals for firearm rights restoration? 
    That's been my situation since 2003. Never been charged with a felony let alone convicted but my misdemeanor convictions are a red flag I guess. Pretty irritating I get denied if I go try and buy a gun. Last time I tried and got denied a buddy of mine was with me so we tried some funny stuff to get the frame of gun with the firing pin in it.  I was living just outside washington dc at time and he was in upstate New York.  About 6 months after we left bass pro shop with the gun we both had ATF knocking our doors down on same day. Well long story short ATF does whatever they do and had a conference with local attorney general trying to charge us with a straw purchases. Attorney general came to conclusion that it's a mess up in the nics system and o should have never been denied.  Atf calls me and says i got good and bad news. Good news is your not gonna be charged for felony purchase bad news is the federal government stopped funding for anything other than prosecuting back in the mid 80's. So although we know your allowed to own firearms your gonna have to hire a attorney to get it changed because that's how our system rolls.  Makes for a big headache but i cant justify paying a couple grand more for attorney fees in my life to get something changed that shouldn't be that way to begin with.  
    My neighbor was convicted at the State Level and he got a Pardon from Charlie Crist back then. He's good to go now and even has a CCW Permit.
    Trespass with deadly weapon is included in the same statute as trespass with a firearm. Its one in the same crime. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,195 Captain
    My neighbor was convicted at the State Level and he got a Pardon from Charlie Crist back then. He's good to go now and even has a CCW Permit.
    A Governor that Flubs a 60,000 acre Sheet Flow  Everglades Restoration Episode has no business passing judgement on Felon.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 605 Officer
    I got in direct contact with a FWC officer. 

Felons : Are allowed to us bow,crossbow,and powder. 
    They consider pcp a firearm

People who are in due process to before a felon: are allowed to use firearms unless specified for an official on the case

misdemeanors: are allowed to use firearms 

people on probation: if the parole officer  says no firearms then they are allowed bow crossbow and powder unless specified 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,493 Captain
    edited January 2020 #13
    I’d check on the difference between an in-line muzzleloader (modern) and a flint lock. I know a taxidermist that has to duck hunt with a 100 yr old muzzleloader and can’t use a modern version. His charges are on federal level though. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    I know a guy hunts with a Side Hammer Percussion cap and he says he's good to go.
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 518 Officer
    always wondered why my buddy said hold this gun for me...lol
    I got in direct contact with a FWC officer. 

Felons : Are allowed to us bow,crossbow,and powder. 
    They consider pcp a firearm

People who are in due process to before a felon: are allowed to use firearms unless specified for an official on the case

misdemeanors: are allowed to use firearms 

people on probation: if the parole officer  says no firearms then they are allowed bow crossbow and powder unless specified 
    Some of that is wrong. 

A PCP is not a firearm. That’s a legal fact and the FWC also says as such on their website to the extent their website says a felon may use an airgun, and a PCP is an airgun.  A PCP is not a firearm under either Federal or Florida state law. That’s the reason ATF cannot regulate PCP suppressors. 

Crimes of domestic violence, even misdemeanors DV convictions, prohibit firearms. 

People on probation cannot have firearms if they’re subject to the standard conditions of probation under the probation statute. That’s going to be the case in all felony probation sentences and all misdemeanors that P&P supervises. Whether its so on county court misdemeanors that state probation isn’t involved in depends on what is pronounced by the judge. 

• nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,325 Officer
    PCP my not be Firearm but may fall under GUN??
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    What a f*d up country we are in.
    After a person has paid their dues, their 2nd amendment rights should not be infringed because the gov't doesn't have the time to allow people to enjoy their rights.  Of course it has the time/funding.  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    PCP my not be Firearm but may fall under GUN??
    It is a gun, but so is a bow and crossbow. Anything that shoots a projectile is a gun. That’s the FWC definition of “gun.”

A PCP is also a deadly weapon.  But it is not a firearm. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Airgun, bow and powder. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 774 Officer
    not a lawyer but heres a solid fact         one of my best friends    a combat veteran     several felonies       hunts in florida and several other states on public wmas    with a bow or a hawken 50cal muzzleloader      loose powder       been with him a dozen times when officers checked us         NEVER once a issue.    3 years ago at three lakes    prairie lakes unit during turkey season game warden stopped us     officer said to him guess you like to make it more challenging     he said nope im a felon      warden checked our licenses and quota and we chatted for half a hour             seen him next day at camp ground he stopped     checked out our bird  chatted some more never a question about him being a felon       so i don,t know the exact law on the books but he been doing it for over 20 years never a problem.
    The law used to be muddy about muzzleloaders. There was Florida case law from one appellate circuit that said a muzzleloader had to be a true antique replica to not be considered a firearm, the other appellate circuit said all muzzeloaders were antiques by default so long as they loaded by the muzzle and use a percussion cap. 

The Florida Supreme court sided with the latter opinion. Thus felons can have and use a percussion cap muzzle loader. Even if its of modern design and uses a scope. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,195 Captain
    edited January 2020 #23
    Felon population is growing apparently 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 608 Officer
    What did they get you for?
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #25
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    FloridaOD said:
    Felon population is growing apparently 
    In the US has an entire industry based on making citizens felons.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,847 AG
    Like any other hunting question to an FWC officer, if the law/rule is not black and white and clearly explained in the good ole handbook, you can ask 10 the same question and get multiple different answers. Been there and done it.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes